Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airwave Broadband + Phone East Cork

• 25-11-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

I am sick to death of this 3g wirless broadband. As I type with my right hand I am holding the usb dongle in the air with my left hand, trying to get a signal in my semi converted freezing attic.
    Broadband through phone line is light years away for me.

I'm thinking of signing up to Airwave fixed wireless broadband in East Cork.
    It's a bit steep at 40 euro for the basic home package, but at the moment I'm paying 19.99 euro per month for crap.

Any recommendations for Airwave from people signed up to this service ?

Also I see they have a phone service using the same connection.
    Anybody using this ? and if so whats the quality of the phone line like ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 R.C.

I was at airwave and changed to the 3 dongle which is crap I am sorry now I changed as the airwave system was constant and hassle free.

It is a bit more expensive but you will have no bother with it.

I don't know anything the phone system but if it's anything like the broadband it's fine and a lot cheaper than eircom.

The people at airwave are very good to deal with and there's someone at the end of a phone or by email for enquiries.

The system when down once when I had it because of a very bad storm that hit us and this is understandable and to be fair the system was back up and running within hours no bother.

I am going back to them I still have the wire here alongside me for reconnection they never took it out as I asked them not to they just took the gadget on the roof (dish) a small one which is fitted and must have line of sight to the mast but once you do your flying. They will check it first and once you have a signal that's it. I hope the above is of some help to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Nova networks in little island cover most of east cork.Switching myself this week:D 5 mb 45euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Have airwave. Its miles better than 3G but can get a bit slow at busy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 R.C.

I never had that problem of it slowing down but I do now with 3 it's terrible I had 5m mbs the second day after installation with 3 and I was impressed but after that nothing i had nothing it is brutal and the government are backing this broadband system god help us all.

I checked the speed of airwave and it was always constant not like 3 it is always been bad and worse at key times when I have no signal.

Airwave been slow is interesting must be the area I didn't have the problem but nova is interesting and around the same price as airwave.

Until something better comes along for the same money and service I will move back to and stay with airwave. I will be interested if airwave will charge me a reconnection fee of 145 euro?? I will keep the board informed soemone might be interested in this.

I live in the North Cork Area and the airwave signal is fine it does what says on the can -so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

R.C. wrote: »
    I never had that problem of it slowing down but I do now with 3 it's terrible I had 5m mbs the second day after installation with 3 and I was impressed but after that nothing i had nothing it is brutal and the government are backing this broadband system god help us all.

I checked the speed of airwave and it was always constant not like 3 it is always been bad and worse at key times when I have no signal.

Airwave been slow is interesting must be the area I didn't have the problem but nova is interesting and around the same price as airwave.

Until something better comes along for the same money and service I will move back to and stay with airwave. I will be interested if airwave will charge me a reconnection fee of 145 euro?? I will keep the board informed soemone might be interested in this.

I live in the North Cork Area and the airwave signal is fine it does what says on the can -so to speak

I have been until recently with Airwave for almost 2 years and found them fantastic to deal with, and any issue with the BB connection was resolved extremely quickly. I did however changes to Vodafone Broadband/Phone Package (7.6 mb bundle) recently as my local exchange becames BB enabled. Many of the Cork exchanges are now enabled (see map here http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/inside.asp?sectionId=2 ) So might be worth a check and do a line test.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

R.C. wrote: »

Airwaves installation fee is now down to 99euro, not sure if they charge for reconnections.

They have answered all my phonecalls and emails so far, which means a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

I have signed up with Airwave and I am very happy so far.
    It maynot be the fastest broadband in the world, but it is reliable and they provide an excellent backup service.

I also signed up for the phone service, which also uses their dish to mast system. I find it very good so far. Live itemised bill on line.
    Our eircom line is very bad, people find it very hard to hear us, but with airwave, its at least twice as loud and much clearer.
    It was worth signing up for the phone alone.

Cancelled my Three 3G broadband.

Seriously thinking of canceling eircom.

Advertisement