Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment ban lifted

• 25-11-2009 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Just read in the indo the minister has gotten permission to start recruiting again as the defence force's number's have fallen below 10000.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

On RTÉ News as well now - http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1125/defence.html

Will this include the RDF does anyone know? Any ideas as well on when they'll start recruiting again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Minister for Defence Willie O’Dea said Defence Forces’ numbers would not be allowed to fall any further. He was in talks with Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan to secure an exemption for the Defence Forces to the recruitment moratorium and had already secured an exemption for 50 promotions across all ranks.

“We’re not going to leave it below 10,000 . . . that’s a Government decision. We’ll be recruiting shortly and I’m sure we’ll go back over the 10,000.” The full strength of the Defence Forces in recent years has been 10,500.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/1125/1224259394378.html

Some RDF units are starting to take personnel on though these will probably be those who applied last year. If you do have an application in, it might be an idea to ring and see what the individual unit is doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I'll believe it when I see a Recruit Platoon in training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Poccington wrote: »

+1

Since they Mentioned the DF and not the PDF or RDF (Though they did mention RACO so it could be reasonable assumed they are talking PDF)

They could just look for an influx into the RDF to bring the whole DF up to 10,000 with a large proportion being RDF Which, TBH, would not be ideal at all.

+1

Since they Mentioned the DF and not the PDF or RDF (Though they did mention RACO so it could be reasonable assumed they are talking PDF)

They could just look for an influx into the RDF to bring the whole DF up to 10,000 with a large proportion being RDF Which, TBH, would not be ideal at all.

Not ideal?

It'd be **** all use.

• Advertisement

Current PDF strength - 9981 at the time of writing
    Current RDF strength - over 5000
    According to the reports the has dropped to below 10000
    PDF + RDF equal ~14000 so it's safe to assume that the numbers of the 'Defence Forces' mentioned in the report refer solely to PDF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Poccington wrote: »

Willie O'Dea has said the goverment vow to not let it drop further, and who you to doubt a politician with a fantastic "tash"?!

It was mentioned in "The Times" that a smaller better equiped force was needed for Ireland,well we have seen the smaller part of that plan:rolleyes:

It was mentioned in "The Times" that a smaller better equiped force was needed for Ireland,well we have seen the smaller part of that plan:rolleyes:

Like the two-brigade structure proposed by the PWC report which was subsequently rejected? Don't mind me, I'll find my own way out :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

apparently mr o dea secured 50 promotions or so he told RACO, doubt too many of them will be for other ranks...... ****ing joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

how could this lie
    wodea.jpg

look how happy he is with his toys
    willieodeawithgunbh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 karlosrush

does anyone know how long the waiting list is to join?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ArdMhacha

I have my application in since April/May 2008, will it still be valid??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

can i ask how the recruitment process works,do they launch a once off recruitment campaign like AGS or do they take a steady inflow of recruits throughout the year,basically what im trying to find out is can i apply now or do I have to wait for them to start a recruitment campaign before I can apply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

triple-M wrote: »
    can i ask how the recruitment process works,do they launch a once off recruitment campaign like AGS or do they take a steady inflow of recruits throughout the year,basically what im trying to find out is can i apply now or do I have to wait for them to start a recruitment campaign before I can apply?

The DF takes applications for recruits constantly, although the PDF and many RDF units will give you a definite start date when a recruit platoon is forming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Donny5 wrote: »
    The DF takes applications for recruits constantly, although the PDF and many RDF units will give you a definite start date when a recruit platoon is forming.
    perfect i'll give them a shout during the week,
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Mousey- wrote: »
    how could this lie
    wodea.jpg

look how happy he is with his toys
    willieodeawithgunbh.jpg

Sorry ...I just can't stop laughing:D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

anybody have any idea when they are starting to recruit or when the deadline is?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

the recruiting ban is still in place they are only taking people that where caught in the process system in march.

Me So Sad =(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shazmoose

So this means that they're only calling on people who had their applications in before the Summer? I was called for a physical test for November the 6th last year and it was cancelled the week beforehand.

Just as well, 7 days later I had appendicitis. On my 18th bday I might add!

there maybe some hope yet i was reading this http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1209/army.html
    The Minister also said that within the available resources, he is committed to maintaining the strength of the Defence Forces at a level of 10,000 across all ranks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ArdMhacha

Anyone got any news on this yet?
    When do you think Willie will make a statement on this?
    E Brig manpower are still in the dark as of last week and are still waiting for news themselves, they basically been told as much as Joe Public

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭ANGEM

hate to be the bearer of bad news but my son got a letter on saturday returning his personal info and telling him the moratorium stands and their will be no recruitment due to this. Anybody hear anything different ??
    my son had pass all entry requirments early in 2008 and was told he would have been in had it not been for the budget

ANGEM wrote: »
    hate to be the bearer of bad news but my son got a letter on saturday returning his personal info and telling him the moratorium stands and their will be no recruitment due to this. Anybody hear anything different ??
    my son had pass all entry requirments early in 2008 and was told he would have been in had it not been for the budget

From what I've heard, they're returning all applications currently on file.

Although there's been no confirmation yet regarding the Recruitment ban and whether it will stay or go, Manpower seems to be getting ready for a new application process.

Although the last bit is speculation on my part and shouldn't be taken as fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Shazmoose wrote: »
    So this means that they're only calling on people who had their applications in before the Summer? I was called for a physical test for November the 6th last year and it was cancelled the week beforehand.

Just as well, 7 days later I had appendicitis. On my 18th bday I might add!

Yeah, same with me. I applied in around oct/nov 2008 and they called it off a week before the fitness test and sent a letter stating "Your application will be held on file untill further notice"

I completely forgot about it, having spent the last 8 months in Australia. Now a few people have told me that there sending back all the applications on file and everybody will have to re-apply again.

Do you think I should wait for a letter? Or send off again?

Does anybody know if their accepting applications yet??

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if their accepting applications yet??
    well in haven't had any word yet:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Hi all,

I work in this area so I can give accurate info on this.

The following is the situation in 1 Southern Brigade. There is no reason to believe that this is not being mirrored across all formations.

# All applicants on file are being informed by letter that there is no General Service recruitment at this time.

# Any personal documentation is being returned with the letter.

# The applicants are invited to reapply when the recruitment competitions are announced provided they meet the eligibility requirements.

# No application forms are being sent but the Manpower office until competitions are announced.

# Application forms received by the Manpower office are being returned immediately on receipt.

# There are no indications at all as to when the next competition will take place.

# Any recruitment will be advertised on www.military.ie/careers.

Hope this clarifies.

Hi all,

I work in this area so I can give accurate info on this.

The following is the situation in 1 Southern Brigade. There is no reason to believe that this is not being mirrored across all formations.

# All applicants on file are being informed by letter that there is no General Service recruitment at this time.

# Any personal documentation is being returned with the letter.

# The applicants are invited to reapply when the recruitment competitions are announced provided they meet the eligibility requirements.

# No application forms are being sent but the Manpower office until competitions are announced.

# Application forms received by the Manpower office are being returned immediately on receipt.

# There are no indications at all as to when the next competition will take place.

# Any recruitment will be advertised on www.military.ie/careers.

Hope this clarifies.

Your dead right, got that letter today!... Feel sorry for the lads that have already passed everything and were waiting on an induction date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Hmmm, and hope for the reserve starting recruitment?

• Advertisement

There's a trickle of recruits but they're applicants who submitted their paperwork in late 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

In effect all that the minister has got is permission to recruit, they can actively recruit as much as they want, that'll take up to the end of 2010 anyway, coinciding with the lifting of the moratorium for 2011. Its when the training starts that matters. and as mentioned before in a post, i'll believe it when i see it.Can't see anything happening this year as regards to training. i wouldn't be getting any hopes up, (and i don't mean to knock anyone waiting to join-up), at least until next year. Don't let it stop you from applying. keep at it, just don't buy into any hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

In effect all that the minister has got is permission to recruit, they can actively recruit as much as they want, that'll take up to the end of 2010 anyway, coinciding with the lifting of the moratorium for 2011.

The moratorium is to End of 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

testicle wrote: »
    The moratorium is to End of 2011

!!Wrong!!

This is a direct quote from Para 2. of the letter sent out in 2009

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/public expenditure/2009/stanletter.pdf

"I am to direct that, with effect from the date of this letter to end 2010, no
    public service post, however arising, may be filled by recruitment, promotion, nor
    payment of an allowance for the performance of duties at a higher grade. Therefore
    when vacancies arise Departments/agencies etc must reallocate or reorganise work or
    staff accordingly. Any exceptions to this principle, which will arise in very limited
    circumstances only, require the prior sanction of the Minister for Finance. The
    decision also applies to temporary appointments on a fixed-term basis and to the renewal of such contracts. "

So unless it has been changed the ban/moratorium is due to be lifted at the end of 2010.

In effect all that the minister has got is permission to recruit, they can actively recruit as much as they want, that'll take up to the end of 2010 anyway, coinciding with the lifting of the moratorium for 2011. Its when the training starts that matters. and as mentioned before in a post, i'll believe it when i see it.Can't see anything happening this year as regards to training. i wouldn't be getting any hopes up, (and i don't mean to knock anyone waiting to join-up), at least until next year. Don't let it stop you from applying. keep at it, just don't buy into any hype.

Nobody knows. Could be tomorrow, could be next year. All I know is their not accepting applications at this time, if you send one it comes straight back to you.

Anybody who's been on file since 2008 (including myself) got a letter during the week saying to re-apply when the next competition arises. I presume they want to start fresh as most of the people on file since 2008 are probably junkies by now!

Advertisement