Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EP Mooney closes another sad day for the motor industry !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

Willowz78 wrote: »
    Autoplatz was part of the Belgard Motor Group which closed last week.

No it Wasn't, different company altogether, owned by a tipperary dealer AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I got a voicemail off them at 9am this morning saying parts were in for a car (they don't have said car, thankfully), jesus.

I moved all my and my families Fiat dealings to them (as Airton), found them to be a level above the general standard of Irish Fiat dealers; bought a new car off them last year and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Autoplatz1

I have notice a comment or two regarding Autoplatz.

We have shut the showroom based at Walkinstown Avenue but have kept the after sales department (workshops) and warranty department open, and they will continue to operate as normal, if you have any servicing requests, quotation or warranty issue please contact the us on 01 429 4322 or info@autoplatz.ie.

We still have our main branch based in Cashel CO. Tipperary with the showroom (glass box) and full sales and servicing department based there.

We will however offer our loyal Dublin Customers and potential new customers to view any car we have in stock in Dublin or Cashel to view these cars by appointment in Dublin or alternative people can make a day of it and travel 90 minutes down to Cashel to view our stock.

To set the record straight Autplatz.ie is still open for business and are happy to offer value for money in our sales and servicing department

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me @ james@autoplatz.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Belgard owned a company called "Autoplatz Ltd" according to the Irish Times report on them; which I'm guessing is where the confusion comes from.

Autoplatz Ltd was part of the Belagrd group of companies

Autoplatz.ie which had the showroom at walkinstown avenue is owned by me, James O'Reilly.

I have pasted a thread I posted earlier which hopefully will explain the structural change at Autoplatz.ie

have notice a comment or two regarding Autoplatz.

We have shut the showroom based at Walkinstown Avenue but have kept the after sales department (workshops) and warranty department open, and they will continue to operate as normal, if you have any servicing requests, quotation or warranty issue please contact the us on 01 429 4322 or info@autoplatz.ie.

We still have our main branch based in Cashel CO. Tipperary with the showroom (glass box) and full sales and servicing department based there.

We will however offer our loyal Dublin Customers and potential new customers to view any car we have in stock in Dublin or Cashel to view these cars by appointment in Dublin or alternative people can make a day of it and travel 90 minutes down to Cashel to view our stock.

To set the record straight Autplatz.ie is still open for business and are happy to offer value for money in our sales and servicing department

If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me @ james@autoplatz.ie

Kind Regards

James O'Reilly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Autoplatz are NOT part of the Belgard Motor Group.

I used to work for Autoplatz. They closed their Dublin branch but the Cashel branch is still open.

The company is independant and is owned by a guy called James O'Reilly. Thay are still in business and dont need people saying they're part of a company thats gone out of business. Its hard enough for garages to keep going without people making false/incorrect comments about them.

I think Belgard's Porsche dealership used to be called Belgard Autoplatz, so that's probably where the confusion lies.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I think Belgard's Porsche dealership used to be called Belgard Autoplatz, so that's probably where the confusion lies.

Yes Belgard motors had a company called Autoplatz Ltd Trading as Dublin Porsche Centre. and were never know as Autoplat in the public domain.

I own the registered Busienss Name "Autoplatz"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Autoplatz1 wrote: »
    Yes Belgard motors had a company called Autoplatz Ltd Trading as Dublin Porsche Centre. and were never know as Autoplat in the public domain.

I own the registered Busienss Name "Autoplatz"

That's a real pain in the ass for you James being considered 'guilty by association' by the unlearned. At one stage there was two if not three 'Suburban' dealers in Dublin also, e.g. Suburban Motors / Car Sales / Autos, all with distinct and very different reputations!

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    That's a real pain in the ass for you James being considered 'guilty by association' by the unlearned. At one stage there was two if not three 'Suburban' dealers in Dublin also, e.g. Suburban Motors / Car Sales / Autos, all with distinct and very different reputations!

thanks, appreciate everyones support

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

thanks, appreciate everyones support

Thanks for clearing that up James. Just FYI we normally don't allow contact info in threads but I'll leave it this time as misrepresentations were made about your company.

Onkle wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing that up James. Just FYI we normally don't allow contact info in threads but I'll leave it this time as misrepresentations were made about your company.

cheers, glad that is cleared up, had two place adverts in some of the sunday papers to help expell any doubt that Autoplatz.ie is still in business but I can see how the confusion was created and I can't blame anyone, even carzone delisted my dublin branch yesterday and it took three hours to get it back live on their site and despite taking the direct debit for the monthly charge for all three listings they never even made a call telling me that they had taken it upon themselves to delist me.

oh well, shall live on to fight another day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Woodey

Im one of the employee's (or ex) of the Ep Mooney group. None of us had a clue that this was coming, we knew the company was in touble but we taught we had gotten over the worst of it. We were all called to a meeting at 11am today and told of the liquidation, it was a shock to us all. Paraic Mooney was in tears telling us, its really strange cause our workshop in the Volvo dept was very busy. Its a sad day for the Motor Industry & talking to the liquidators there is more big multi dealers in trouble who will be gone soon. Ep Mooney was a great place to work & I will miss it.

There will be a big hole in the Volvo brand now that Koping is missing, but hopefully we might see something up & running in a few weeks to cater for Volvo customers icon12.gif

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes I will pass them on to the lads.

Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

cheers, glad that is cleared up, had two place adverts in some of the sunday papers to help expell any doubt that Autoplatz.ie is still in business but I can see how the confusion was created and I can't blame anyone, even carzone delisted my dublin branch yesterday and it took three hours to get it back live on their site and despite taking the direct debit for the monthly charge for all three listings they never even made a call telling me that they had taken it upon themselves to delist me.

oh well, shall live on to fight another day

Hey James, thanks for clearing it up for us.

Just an idea, but maybe you should put up a sign in the walkinstown showroom saying the Cashel branch is still open? When I seen the showroom and forecourt empty, I feared the worst. :( I assume lots of other people are doing the same.

Anyhow, glad to hear you are still going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Woodey wrote: »
    Im one of the employee's (or ex) of the Ep Mooney group. None of us had a clue that this was coming, we knew the company was in touble but we taught we had gotten over the worst of it. We were all called to a meeting at 11am today and told of the liquidation, it was a shock to us all. Paraic Mooney was in tears telling us, its really strange cause our workshop in the Volvo dept was very busy. Its a sad day for the Motor Industry & talking to the liquidators there is more big multi dealers in trouble who will be gone soon. Ep Mooney was a great place to work & I will miss it.

There will be a big hole in the Volvo brand now that Koping is missing, but hopefully we might see something up & running in a few weeks to cater for Volvo customers icon12.gif

Dave.

Dave, good luck to you and indeed to everyone in EP Mooney's. They had an excellent reputation within the trade and also staff seemed to speak very highly of the management and owners. Indeed the owner of this company has already states that customers will not lose their deposits and their orders will be transferred to other dealers.

It is very easy to turn around and say "greed" is the problem; many of the big operators failings are linked to the property market, however, during the boom everyone did this. Remember how none of us could get a workman to do any work on our house? Remember how everyone wanted more money, pay rises etc. It is unfair to slate the owners of the garages for opting in.
    Business is business, you take a chance and gamble and sometimes it is all or nothing.

I am in the trade and the general consensus is that there will not be many left standing of any marque when the dust eventually settles.

The good wishes here from a cross section of the public are indicative of the service EP Mooney group have provided to the public. It is indeed a sad day for the Irish Motoring Industry, but unfortunately there will be more to come.

anewme wrote: »
    Dave, good luck to you and indeed to everyone in EP Mooney's. They had an excellent reputation within the trade and also staff seemed to speak very highly of the management and owners. Indeed the owner of this company has already states that customers will not lose their deposits and their orders will be transferred to other dealers.

It is very easy to turn around and say "greed" is the problem; many of the big operators failings are linked to the property market, however, during the boom everyone did this. Remember how none of us could get a workman to do any work on our house? Remember how everyone wanted more money, pay rises etc. It is unfair to slate the owners of the garages for opting in.
    Business is business, you take a chance and gamble and sometimes it is all or nothing.

I am in the trade and the general consensus is that there will not be many left standing of any marque when the dust eventually settles.

The good wishes here from a cross section of the public are indicative of the service EP Mooney group have provided to the public. It is indeed a sad day for the Irish Motoring Industry, but unfortunately there will be more to come.

Well said dude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Really sad to hear of the closure of EP Mooney and also sad for the folks that have lost jobs as a result.

It's a tough time in the motor industry at the moment and I fear the worst in early 2010 as I cannot see the market increasing for many reasons. I'm sure that many dealers are hanging by a thread in the hope that the first quarter of 2010 may help them survive. I hope that happens but I'm in no way confident. As an employee in the motor industry I have seen many colleagues made redundant and joining the growing dole queues and I really do hope that things turn around. Many excellent people have been lost but they will, I hope, eventually bounce back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Whats the story????

My car is in EP Mooney on the Longmile Road for a service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Woodey

Ring in the morning, you will be allowed to get your car. If they have started working on it it will be finished and you can collect it then, if it hasnt been started you can just call in tomorrow and pick it up.

I'm not being a smart ass but this statement on the EP Mooney Website may have been tempting fate a little:
    We see recession as a challenge. A challenge to deliver the finest cars at the best prices with a customer care service that is second to none. EP Mooney has been serving the motoring public for over 35 years and we’ve seen the highs and lows of two recessions and we only get stronger!
    Trust us – we will deliver what we promise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tellmewhy

Padraig Mooney was a great employer and put plenty of his personal money into the business to keep it going . He is a decent hard working man who must be devastated by the forced closure of his family business which was the first appointed nissan dealer in the country. It must now be time for the government and the public to wake up and see what is happening to local businesses across all industries .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

tellmewhy wrote: »
    Padraig Mooney was a great employer and put plenty of his personal money into the business to keep it going . He is a decent hard working man who must be devastated by the forced closure of his family business which was the first appointed nissan dealer in the country. It must now be time for the government and the public to wake up and see what is happening to local businesses across all industries .

[off topic] Yup but the Irish public in their wisdom voted a shower of morons into power. To think the Irish used to laugh at the Americans for electing George W. That man is a genius in comparison to our shower of gombeens [on topic]

Sorry for all the people that lost jobs today hopefully they will find alternative employment elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

@everyone

In the meantime:
    a) this is a thread about EP Mooney, let's keep on-topic
    and
    b) please nobody post rumours here. If you can't "prove" your assertions, then don't say anything. Rumours will get you infracted or banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Woodey wrote: »

Dave.

I know it probably means very little to you now, but any experience I have had of your dealership in the past has been very positive, especially your parts department. With you guys now gone it will certainly leave a big void in the Volvo dealer network with regard to customer service and a dealer with a staff that have such knowledge and genuine enthusiasm for the Volvo brand like Koping did. I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your jobs and I hope that you will all emerge once again to serve the Volvo motorists of Ireland like you have done for all those years.

Best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I want to start this post by saying that Im very sorry for all the staff who have lost their jobs at EP Mooneys. I have and have had friends who worked there. Its never nice to loose your job but givin the time of year we are entering into it must be very hard to take. Head up guys and I hope ye all land something else soon.

With regards to the closure itself is anybody in the trade really suprised at all that they've gone wallop! Mooneys through the 90's into the 00's was built up on property and not on car sales, the cars sales became a side issue. As a dealer who went head to head with Mooneys on many an occasion I got right fed up of their give away tactics. The cars were sold at cost just to do the numbers so that he could rent his own property out to himself and make profit from the rents. I suppose the long term plan was that the property would rise to such dizzy heights in value that he'd just cash it in and make a kill. Every year Mooneys seemed to write off fortunes on cars yet pay themselves healthy dividends via the holding company which was making fortunes. So long as the banks kept feeding the property bubble then Mooneys just kept growing. Problem was for ordinary car dealers you couldn't compete. So while I feel sorry for the people who lost their jobs I dont have such Sympathy for the owners who lets be honest have made a fortune for themselves and are not short a bob today. IMO they are no different from the banker lunatics who just kept lending. The sheer greed and buying into their own bullsh!t got them where they are today. Maybe if they had tried to make a profit on the cars like the rest of us instead of the property then they might just be sitting on a nice little long term ( Nissan dealer ) nest egg. Like most of the guys who've got into trouble over the last 12-18 months they forgot what it was they did....Sell Cars ;)

Ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 iWillBeReborn

Really sad to hear about this today. Hard to take calls from people you worked with for the last 12 years saying goodbye.

In case people don't understand what is happening, this is the Banks causing this. Why they could not see the deal through to the end of January to see how new car sales went... I'll never know.

Better to put 110 ish people on the dole? Rather than lend 300 ish grand to get the revenue of the case?

I don't get it.

I hope this is a wake up call to the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭green123

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    scaremongering like that can lead to suppliers pulling out and / or pressing for payment on normal credit accounts hence forcing the issue. Hope your source is wrong!

or it can lead to the general public becoming aware of a dealer / garage in trouble, and the customer not losing a deposit or not having problems when trying to collect cars after servicing from closed garages.

so who are we trying to protect ?

the garage or the customers ?

unfortunately i know the answer on this forum with all the vested interests

green123 wrote: »
    or it can lead to the general public becoming aware of a dealer / garage in trouble, and the customer not losing a deposit or not having problems when trying to collect cars after servicing from closed garages.

so who are we trying to protect ?

the garage or the customers ?

unfortunately i know the answer on this forum with all the vested interests

If you know something concrete, feel free to say it.

Rumours will make people wary of garages and less likely to buy there, which will make it harder for the garage to trade, which will put them in trouble - a self-fulfilling prophesy.
    Do you really want to put people's jobs under threat to feed your desire to rumour-monger?

Also, what if you start a rumour here that can be proven to contribute to the demise of a garage? Do you not think that garage's owners would be on here sueing boards.ie for their part in propogating the rumours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Terrible news. My bro-in-law worked for them. Two young kids single income household.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭green123

so we should hush things up ?
    things that insiders in the trade know ?

dont tell the general public , let them go through the hassle and risk of using a dealer who is about to go bust, possible losing deposits, trouble get cars currently in service back and no warranty on cars sold because the dealer is gone.

i believe we should be looking out for the general public not the dealers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Awful news within the last month but one wonders where all the money went that they made in the boom years. I have full sympathy for the people on the floors so to speak,none for the fools who got us in to this mess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Nobody in the trade knows anything about it. It's an unsubstantiated rumour. Now please drop it

dont tell the general public , let them go through the hassle and risk of using a dealer who is about to go bust, possible losing deposits, trouble get cars currently in service back and no warranty on cars sold because the dealer is gone.

i believe we should be looking out for the general public not the dealers

If you don't agree with the policy of the mods on this forum, you can PM the CMod KBannon or you can take it to the Feedback forum and get the Admins' perspective.

If you pursue this train of thought in another post, I'll ban you for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I have a friend who worked in EP Mooney and it is very sad news to hear they are gone. Best wishes to all the staff who have lost their jobs. I work in the motor trade and its a scary time, nobody really knows who will be next to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭rodberg007

It certainly is, I work for a large motor group and this is not a good time for anyone to lose their job especially coming up to Christmas. But the word is there will be more to go, as stated recently there simply isn't enough business for the amount of garages/dealers that emerged from the boom times and find themselves now struggling to survive from the downturn in the current economic climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I agree that it's terrible, I also agree that leveraged non-motor activity has been a huge factor, especially in the larger places.

Smaller, more focused places will persevere, I hope.

However, I do note in the court submission today, that the VAT issue was cited as a factor, and I'm glad it is. It's time the VAT issue was highlighted for being the deadweight that it is.

I'm in a similarly-afflicted sector - construction/mfg - and the VAT is a huge impediemnt to commerce, to employment, etc.

Consider this: a school needs a new building, and we must charge VAT on it, which the school passes to the Dept of Ed, which is merely handing it's Dept of Finance allocated money...........back to the Dept of Finance, as VAT. Madness.

As part of fundraising, the Dept of Ed sometimes match school-raised contributions. But the snag is, 21.5% of all the funding school's raise, is handed away in VAT. So, they're on the back foot from Day 1.

The UK, oth, don't charge VAT on schools or school equipment. So, even if product pricing is the same, they actually have 21.5% more money to spend on actual product/services/whatever.

Can someone remind, WTF VAT is supposed to be doing for us, exactly ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

VAT is the reason for many business going under...something defo needs to be done.
    On another note, i have a deposit on a used car in a large Dublin dealership, picking up next week, not so worried about deposit, more worried about the waranty.
    what happens in this case?

your warranty is from the manufacturer, not the dealer, so no need to worry. Any dealer can do warranty stuff on it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    your warranty is from the manufacturer, not the dealer, so no need to worry. Any dealer can do warranty stuff on it.

On a used car out of manufactures waranty???

ah, sorry, I didn't read it right, no, only applies to used under mfg's original warranty.

Otherwise, you're on your own.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

ah, sorry, I didn't read it right, no, only applies to used under mfg's original warranty.

Hmmmmm, i dont have a great feeling about this place.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Really sad to hear about this today. Hard to take calls from people you worked with for the last 12 years saying goodbye.

In case people don't understand what is happening, this is the Banks causing this. Why they could not see the deal through to the end of January to see how new car sales went... I'll never know.

Better to put 110 ish people on the dole? Rather than lend 300 ish grand to get the revenue of the case?

I don't get it.

I hope this is a wake up call to the government.

Wait now a minute. According to the RTE link above, EP Mooney has liability over assets of 22 million Euro... This was debt sought and taken on by the business. The business pursued a strategy of rapid growth based on very questionable long term sales forecasts, I don't know if Mooney's had other non-motor related borrowings such as property investments, apartment block developments or what, (I wouldn't be surprised if they did given the 22 million Euro figure of debt), but Mooney's are around a long time, I imagine they have their main site and assets up on the Long Mile Road, well paid for, so to end up in a situation where you have liabilities of 22 million Euro over assets, requires a hell of a lot of debt to be taken on...

Just look at the number of franchises they had, seriously, looks like greed to me to be honest...

Mooneys: 22 Million
    Belgard: 17 Million

2 Motor Dealers: 39 Million Euro of debt over assets???

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Sad sad day tbh.
    I knew a lotta staff from sales to service in a some of the showrooms.
    Granted e.p mooney was one of the bigger players it makes you wonder who or what is next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

anewme wrote: »

Not everyone !

Also, 'opting in' suggests something passive. c. 20m in debt indicates that they were playing with their employees futures. 250 futures down to 100 down to zero. With employees comes responsibility and it would appear that they didn't have much of that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Saab Ed wrote: »
    With regards to the closure itself is anybody in the trade really suprised at all that they've gone wallop! Mooneys through the 90's into the 00's was built up on property and not on car sales, the cars sales became a side issue. As a dealer who went head to head with Mooneys on many an occasion I got right fed up of their give away tactics. The cars were sold at cost just to do the numbers so that he could rent his own property out to himself and make profit from the rents. I suppose the long term plan was that the property would rise to such dizzy heights in value that he'd just cash it in and make a kill. Every year Mooneys seemed to write off fortunes on cars yet pay themselves healthy dividends via the holding company which was making fortunes. So long as the banks kept feeding the property bubble then Mooneys just kept growing. Problem was for ordinary car dealers you couldn't compete. So while I feel sorry for the people who lost their jobs I dont have such Sympathy for the owners who lets be honest have made a fortune for themselves and are not short a bob today. IMO they are no different from the banker lunatics who just kept lending. The sheer greed and buying into their own bullsh!t got them where they are today. Maybe if they had tried to make a profit on the cars like the rest of us instead of the property then they might just be sitting on a nice little long term ( Nissan dealer ) nest egg. Like most of the guys who've got into trouble over the last 12-18 months they forgot what it was they did....Sell Cars ;)

Ed.

Ed,
    When I worked for the group there was talk of the current situation happening once property prices dropped and that was at the height of the boom.Paraic while a shrewd businessman got too caught up in trying to make too much profit from the property trade instead of the motor trade and I honestly think that was his undoing.He was a director of the place I worked for yet he charged the company(himself) rent through another company.
    And like yourself I have lots of sympathy for those who lost their jobs but none for the directors.
    Someone mentioned that he was in tears telling people the news--I doubt that it was his staff he was shedding a tear for.More likely his bank balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ed,
    When I worked for the group there was talk of the current situation happening once property prices dropped and that was at the height of the boom.Paraic while a shrewd businessman got too caught up in trying to make too much profit from the property trade instead of the motor trade and I honestly think that was his undoing.He was a director of the place I worked for yet he charged the company(himself) rent through another company.
    And like yourself I have lots of sympathy for those who lost their jobs but none for the directors.
    Someone mentioned that he was in tears telling people the news--I doubt that it was his staff he was shedding a tear for.More likely his bank balance.

Guy's i have been reading the past 7 pages since last night and this morning, i worked in EP Mooney's until the worst day of my life yesterday! If you werent there you cant comment on it, it was the most emotional and tearfull time for alot of people and will never forget it. i am usually behind my desk making calls to customers regarding changing there cars/follow up/ service call's from my ACT (Database) instead i am here @ home and getting ready to sign on!!! I have been reading over and over the above 2 Paragraphs above and agree with parts apart from Selling thecars for nothing, it was allways the other way the i could not compete with any deals from our closest rivals who sell Nissan too and have garges all over the Country and run by Nissan Ireland! was never a level paying field for me, I only came up against deal on Monday, Nissan Qashqai 1.6 se Petrol MY 2010 with 3 years free servicing/rac/warranty for € 19,000 straight. Paraic loved selling car's, He would there @ 6:30 am every morning and would be there till 8pm, and people would be allways coming into see him to buys cars of him. Now i have to go now i'm getting a lift down to the dole office to join the Q!!!

Chin up Guy's & Gals, What wont kill us will make us Stronger, i'm not going down without a Fight.

Laters Guys

Christian.

• Advertisement

Chin up to you too Christian. It's scary times, but it'll work out.

Thanks for the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

cvisser wrote: »
    our closest rivals who sell Nissan too and have garges all over the Country and run by Nissan Ireland!

Fair play for posting Christian, but I'd just like to point out that the above isnt quite accurate.

The CEO of Nissan Ireland has a large share in our group, but we are not run by Nissan themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

To the guys nad girls of EP mooney, I'm very sorry to hear this news. We bought a couple of cars from EP over the years (hondas usually) and were always happy with the way we were treated by conor, anita and the staff of honda ep mooney. They will be a massive loss to the car trade.

Not necessarily, if the motor dealer is using an Insurance company to back their warranty the Insurance Company will still honour the warranty. In My Case at Autoplatz.ie we give a 24 month Warranty and this is backed by an insurance company giving the customer peace of mind.

Its always worth asking the quetion is the warranty on the used car that one is buying still covered by manufactures warranty and when does this run out, and as for the balance of the warranty, if any, is that being covered directly by the motor dealer or is it covered by an insurance company.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ed,

To set the record straight, I had many dealings with Paraic Mooney and he was and still is a gentleman to deal with. He ran a large business but unfortunately like so many people in the motor industry and property business the current economic times has taken their toll. No Doubt we will see Paraic Mooney back in action in the near future.

I sympathise with all the EP Mooney staff, best of luck to them all in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement