Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EP Mooney closes another sad day for the motor industry !

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Politically its a problem too, as other sectors will cry foul about why the motor industry is favoured for a special incentive scheme.

Has the government given any hint at all they are keen on a scheme? I haven't heard any positive comments from them yet at all.

Anecdotally, my GF's mother who lives in Germany bought a car this year due to the scrappage scheme, but only instead of next year. So yes it boasted this years numbers by one, but also drops next years sales figures by 1.

I dont have a link but there was a report in one of the german papers that ran a survey and quite a lot of people said the same, it just brought forward their purchase.

Thats why I would wonder how much of a real boost, long term, does a scheme bring to sales figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

A scrappage scheme is a GOOD idea environmentally. I can't argue the other pros and cons of the scheme ie revenue intake, VRT intake to the government, sales for the dealers but, if the scheme was put in place with with a ruling that only cars over eg 10 years of age or below a certain environmental efficency can avail of 100% of the scheme you will see a lot of the older polluting cars taken off the road.

Maybe for other cars eg ones who are newer/manufacturer claims they have a low emissions but they are high mileage a sliding scale could be introduced. - We're already taxing on emissions, why can't we use this info for a scrappage scheme.

One downfall I can see though is that cars which are future classics eg an exotic audi like an RS4 from the 90's which isn't anywhere near a classic now may be scrapped. But there is nothing we can do about that unless you want to buy it and put it in a garage

You do have to factor in the efficiency of the car being scrapped, environmental cost of scrappage, cost of production of the new car plus transportation of the car here, efficiency of the new car. You might find the savings arent all as great as they claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I have a theory that all of these dealers going to the wall were the ones who were less than profitable during the boom, with E.P. Mooney probably being the last of them. I seem to recall an article in the paper a few years back which stated that a few of the group's dealers were loss-making that year, such as Finn Reddy, and Koping were the one of the few businesses in the group to turn a profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Fiat's were being removed from the Tallaght premises today. Reality sets in when the showrooms are empty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

MYOB wrote: »
    The Fiat's were being removed from the Tallaght premises today. Reality sets in when the showrooms are empty...

:eek: Crikey. And here's me thinking of changing my car next summer!? Not for a Fiat, mind you......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Solyad wrote: »
    You do have to factor in the efficiency of the car being scrapped, environmental cost of scrappage, cost of production of the new car plus transportation of the car here, efficiency of the new car. You might find the savings arent all as great as they claim.

John Gormless and the tree huggers best enjoy their time in government, it will be there last.
    I reckon what you said above will be the only thing to stop a scrappage scheme on request form the hippies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

whycliff wrote: »
    John Gormless and the tree huggers best enjoy their time in government, it will be there last.
    I reckon what you said above will be the only thing to stop a scrappage scheme on request form the hippies.

At the end of the day though, I think it is surreal that we have major motor dealerships going to the wall in the exact same week that half the west of Ireland would appear to be underwater due to flooding.

Now matter what way we cut it, we have to phase out hydrocarbon engines and move to electric vehicles and other forms of transport if we want to get a handle on climate change and we haven't got a whole lot of time left to get this done. We are already seeing the effects of climate change here on our shores, so we have to wake up I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

its all very easy to blame everything on climate change and all that. Did natural disasters like floods not happen before the invention of the internal combustion engine??

its all very easy to blame everything on climate change and all that. Did natural disasters like floods not happen before the invention of the internal combustion engine??

Well I'm not qualified to debate whether climate change is happening or not and if it is, whether it is caused on CO2 emissions, but there are others out there that are well qualified on these things and I'm inclined to run with their view of what is happening.

It doesn't have to be a death knell for the motor industry but I think it probably will be in this country where people are so opposed to change and uninclined to explore new avenues and opportunities...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Its an incentive to boost car sales,the figures suggest an extra 20,000 cars would sell in 2010 if a scrappage scheme was intorduced. Thats an extra 20,000 cars that the government can take in VAT on.

Anyone know how many jobs this would create/save?

I asked this before but got no answer.

Mate of mine fixes vans and light commercials down the country, took on 1 full time and 1 part time over the last few months, seems business is up for the moment as people are taking more care of their vehicles.

I've also read a fair bit about the scrappage scheme in Germany, mid to long term its not working, also an interview with the head of sales for SEATin Germany, said they would have been better off without it as they are heading for a slump in 2010. Interesting stuff. My own opoinion is this recession sorts out the strong from the weak, we do have a market economy after all, and I say this as somone who was made redundant this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Let's keep the thread "respectful" people - no need to pick over the bones so publicly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

MYOB wrote: »

Yep, saw that yesterday when I called in to try and get the service/warranty history (its a 2 yr old Fiat so it has lotttttttts :mad:). Was met by reps of the liquidator who noted my request.

Very sad to see the place in darkness and people walking around in coats and scarves and the place deathly quiet and cold.

I wish all in the service dept. of Airton Motors the very best. Ye looked after me very, very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I used to work in Airton Motors back in 2005 / 2006. Man, end of an era. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭HermitHorace

It has been a devastating time for the motor industry, having quite a bit of experience in it and a lot of contact with Mooneys, it was a suprise and sad to see them go.

I know that some of the managers are already looking to salvage some parts of the business but of course, the liquidation process has to run its course.

The rules regarding franchise ownership (showroom size etc), the huge cut in sales (70% in some places) and of course the lack of finance has seen quite a few hits from Belgards motors, Caseys and Mooneys not to mention the smaller dealers who also went under.

The bad news is that the next 6 months will see more.

Tough times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

terible news i was only speaking to a guy from the parts dept a few days ago ,he said theyd probably struggle on till january or febuary ,terrible for the people losing there jobs ,

i had some parts ordered also dont think ill get em now ,think ill have to look somewhere else now ,always preferd to go to mooneys

sad news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

A scrappage scheme might bring a car purchase forward, but when it ends sales go flat, which I think has been the experience elsewhere. It would be highly temporary boost to sales. All these dealers, EP Mooney included who invested in expensive premises might have lasted a little longer, but industries dependent on cheap and readily available consumer credit won't really be helped by this sort of scheme. The economy has to recover.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I have it on good authority that Mooneys (the main place) will be back open within a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that Mooneys (the main place) will be back open within a couple of weeks.

How's that? Why open up again if nobody's buying cars?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wish all in the service dept. of Airton Motors the very best. Ye looked after me very, very well.

Ditto, only service department I've used where I could go in after 6 months and be recognised and named by the staff there.

The Opel/Chevrolet signs were removed from the building today - which is a bit strange seeing as White Bishop's Opel signs are still extant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

There's still alot of stock outside the Nissan showroom on the Long Mile Road. I went by it this evening on the way home and all the lights under the signs and in the yard were on. Surely the ESB would have shut of the current from there by now?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The only positive thing to be said about a scrappage scheme is that it may tempt people who would otherwise have bought second hand in the UK, to buy new in Ireland. A larger portion of that transaction will go into state coffers as VAT and the balance of VRT, even if a significant chunk still goes overseas. Other than that, it's just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

Heard this afternoon from a sales director of a main marque main dealer that they have only a handful of sales for January, and all bar two sales are work vans, company/lease cars etc. Reckons this Jan is looking much worse even than last Jan, bar there is an influx post budget.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

There's still alot of stock outside the Nissan showroom on the Long Mile Road. I went by it this evening on the way home and all the lights under the signs and in the yard were on. Surely the ESB would have shut of the current from there by now?:confused:

That had me wondering to , There was people in the showrooms and a lad walking around the forecourt , might have been from the liquidators doing a stock cheque .

Very sad to see them gone , hopefully that area does not end up like a ghost town , 3 big names gone from there now : EP's , White Bishop, Nissan (Although they moved location)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

White bishop is back under the slightly diff name Pat white cars. Same building on the long mile road too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A scrappage scheme is a GOOD idea environmentally. - We're already taxing on emissions, why can't we use this info for a scrappage scheme.
    Nonsense. Ireland's choice of propulsion for tranport is completely irrelevant in the context of 'global warming', because we are so small. If we all walked tomorrow, it would do not good -we'd have to shoot all the cattle too, you see, as then they'd be the bad guys, what with all the methane etc...... really, people need to get a grip.
    Solyad wrote: »
    I'll go better: you'll NEVER save the amount of carbon used to make & deliver your new vehicle, over continuing to use your old one. And, by extension, if the Greens were true to the Polluter Pays principle, the new ones would therefore attract HIGHER, not lower, taxes..........
    Darragh29 wrote: »
    At the end of the day though, I think it is surreal that we have major motor dealerships going to the wall in the exact same week that half the west of Ireland would appear to be underwater due to flooding.
    ....omg, that is just so far-fetched it's beyond words..........I don't know what age you are Darragh, but when I was in school, we were all told that the Ice Age cometh, and that The End Is Nigh. Now I'm supposed to believe that the same people are telling me the opposite ? Sorry, I don't think any of them are credible, tbh.......what are we going to do in 25 years time when they figure they got it wrong - again - and we need to go back to Plan A ?
    Darragh29 wrote: »
    Now matter what way we cut it, we have to phase out hydrocarbon engines and move to electric vehicles and other forms of transport if we want to get a handle on climate change and we haven't got a whole lot of time left to get this done. We are already seeing the effects of climate change here on our shores, so we have to wake up I think...
    ....I think CO2 as tranport emission is vastly over-rated. I'm not daft, I know that burning fuel creates CO2, but I'm also equally open to the fact that there are other issues that are far more pressing, and far more likely to wipe us out: Water, Food, for a start.

I like my petrol engines, but I'm not wed to it. If something better comes along, I'll sign up, but it has to make sense. And we can't charge all these electric cars without the ESB, and they have a long, long way to go.......electric vehicles will only WORSEN this countries CO2 status, not improve it.

Right now the answer is the Elephant in the corner. It won't just go away, you know. Fusion, long term. Fission, now.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭rohatch

We almost bought a qashqai off them in July, they had at least 12 new in stock. We ended up buying from Nissan down the Kylemore road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Kartale

Also, a Volvo Service department will open in Jan/Feb in koping premises under same Owners/directors

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

proberly going to be opened up in the old autoplatz/jaguar building

Hellrazer what garage is it you work in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭seasam

Kartale wrote: »
    Also, a Volvo Service department will open in Jan/Feb in koping premises under same Owners/directors

How can the same guys open up in the same place after leaving big debts behind them ?

• Advertisement

seasam wrote: »
    How can the same guys open up in the same place after leaving big debts behind them ?

They start up a new company, new legal entity, no problem...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Kartale wrote: »

Heard that aswell---I hope the old staff get their jobs back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Funny thing, I've been hearing that all of Ep Mooney's premises are up for grabs.

Lots of rumours going around I suppose. Just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Hi,

I hope someone can help, I have a 2008 Nissan Navara with a Pegasus Hardtop. The lock handle on the hardtop doesn't work. I had dropped it into EP Mooney to get fixed, but just had to go back and collect it when they closed.

Where can I get it fixed here in Dublin?

Pegasus offer a 3 year warranty, does anyone know who EP Mooney used to install them?

Any help please....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Any Nissan dealer in the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

But does anyone know who EP Mooney used as its still under warranty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭soSolid

Mooneys dont use anyone for warranty - the warranty is covered by any Nissan dealer in the country, irrespective of which dealer you actually bought it from. I think the closest Nissan dealer to where Mooney's were is Kylemore Nissan on the Kylemore road opposite the Shelton Park hotel.

See here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

soSolid wrote: »
    Mooneys dont use anyone for warranty - the warranty is covered by any Nissan dealer in the country, irrespective of which dealer you actually bought it from. I think the closest Nissan dealer to where Mooney's were is Kylemore Nissan on the Kylemore road opposite the Shelton Park hotel.

See here

Crew Cab Canopies are rarely Manufacturer parts.
    defib wrote: »
    But does anyone know who EP Mooney used as its still under warranty?

If I had to guess, I'd say Towing Equipment as they are pretty close to Mooney's. Have a funny feeling I've had Pegasus canopies fitted by Towing Equipment to Navarra's.

Might as well give them a call to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭THEDONWALDO

Pegasus canopies were supplied from Nissan Ireland, if you contact any dealer or the parts dept in nissan irl they can look after you. i would if i was still in epm!

Advertisement