Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Library.

• 25-11-2009 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭

It may have been mentioned before but just wondering what other boardsies here think of the Library?

Do you use it much? If not, why?

Do you love it or loathe it?

Lets hear your opinions. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

It may have been mentioned before but just wondering what other boardsies here think of the Library?

Do you use it much? If not, why?

Do you love it or loathe it?

Lets hear your opinions. ;)

UCC's library is top notch. Pretty much lived in there last year unfortunately. It has plenty of group study rooms, loads of sockets for plugs, very good open reserve. You can check out books and return them fairly easily by yourself because of all the machines. Easy enough to find books for a library of its size too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Yeah it's a great facility alright. However with the recent staff cuts, its becoming a lot messier, with books all over the place, and since the closure of the ORB labs, you're very lucky to find a free PC!:mad:

Also, the staff are rather mixed... Some (I'd say the vast majority) are lovely and very helpful, but some are absolutely horrible people (one of the security guards, a few of the librarians)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Yeah it's a great facility alright. However with the recent staff cuts, its becoming a lot messier, with books all over the place, and since the closure of the ORB labs, you're very lucky to find a free PC!:mad:

Also, the staff are rather mixed... Some (I'd say the vast majority) are lovely and very helpful, but some are absolutely horrible people (one of the security guards, a few of the librarians)

The big scary baldy man that works on the front desk??? :D:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

posting this in the library! Find some of the computers there to be very very bad -especially the one that I was about 10 mins ago, that couldn't run two programs at the same time!!!!!:mad: Which completely damped the good mood I was in when I was told that the book I as returning had no fine on it, even though I was sure it had!

Don't use it that much because I'm not on campus anymore, did use it a bit last year. Cos I'm travelling up and down to college, I end up using the library at home more than this one. The study rooms and group rooms are great as well, used the group rooms last year when trying to complete a project.

Selection of books is excellent, and they do get in a lot of new book as well. If I was on campus, I'd say I'd be using it a lot more, last year I was definately using it more than this year - where I'm just coming up to grab the book I need and go home.

Returns system is very good as well! Makes it easy for students to take books out at anytime, rather than depending on the staff, who I've found grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Generally I think it's very good. However the computers can be ridiculously slow/buggy (if you're lucky enough to get one). As well as that it's happened to me I don't know how many times that the catalogue tells me to check a shelf for a book which never seems to be there, even the next morning at opening. Never had any problems with the staff personally but I know plenty of people who have.

So...things I like about the library: the Open Reserve System, the generally very good selection and condition of books, computerised check-out system, study facilities, toilets (very important :pac:), lovely cold water.

Things I don't like: baaaaaaaad computers, printing queues, catalogue very often not having any relation to what's actually on the shelves, and unhelpful staff-though of course that last one is based on what people and The Express have told me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Library? Whats that? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I think the library is a nice relaxing spot when you want to get away from your friends for a bit and go over some stuff yourself. :D

Does anybody have a perticular spot where they like to sit? I have one on Q+2, but I won't say where specifically in case some boardsie decides to take it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

The UCC library is probably the Universitys best resource, it's just fantastic.

It's well run, has a wonderful selection of books, a great open reserve system, documents, publications etc.

It also has a Hungarian dictionary, which is a life saver.

I usually sit in Q+3, next to the German literature. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Larkin91 wrote: »
    I think the library is a nice relaxing spot when you want to get away from your friends for a bit and go over some stuff yourself. :D

Does anybody have a perticular spot where they like to sit? I have one on Q+2, but I won't say where specifically in case some boardsie decides to take it. :D

I usualy like to go as high up as possible and as far out on the edges as i can get.I hate being in the middle of all the tables. During long stints in there its nice to be abe to look out the window for a min or two instead of just looking around at other helpless students ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

It's pretty good to see that there's a general consensus that the library is well liked. I'm in that category. Can't really fault it in too many ways bar the Summer exams revision time. But that's expected in any busy library.

Q+3 in the reading room's my spot. ;)

• Advertisement

If I'm to be brutally honest, I don't really study in the library, unless I'm writing stuff. I do essays/work on presentations there, but if I'm just revising, I'll go to the Orb.

Reading rooms bore me, at least there's a bit of hustle and bustle in the main parts of the library. :P

Nova_era wrote: »
    If I'm to be brutally honest, I don't really study in the library, unless I'm writing stuff. I do essays/work on presentations there, but if I'm just revising, I'll go to the Orb.

Reading rooms bore me, at least there's a bit of hustle and bustle in the main parts of the library. :P

Is there study places in the ORB?

Is there study places in the ORB?

Nope :P

Nope :P

You kick people out of classes to take them over so?

You kick people out of classes to take them over so?

I wouldn't call it "kicking people out" as such, more... going into empty classes

I wouldn't call it "kicking people out" as such, more... going into empty classes

Was being sarcastic Nova_era. I guessed that's what you do.

Although when the library was horrendously busy in the Summer, I was in the Boole's mostly. Fairly quiet there.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jak O Shadows

The big scary baldy man that works on the front desk??? :D:D

He's dead on if you need help, but is a stickler for enforcing the rules. Don't break the rules and he'll leave you alone. Give him attitude and he'll eat you for breakfast.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

sometimes when i try to log in on the comps in the lib it takes ages, that sucks, but all in all it's the bussiness

i find Q1 to be the quitest, but doesn't have the talent of q2 law/commerce

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

He's dead on if you need help, but is a stickler for enforcing the rules. Don't break the rules and he'll leave you alone. Give him attitude and he'll eat you for breakfast.:eek:

He was a roadie for Jimi Hendrix and others and he doesn't take BS from anyone, cause he's seen it all b4, several times over. He's a pussycat around people genuinely needing help,but you rattle his cage at yr peril :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Max001 wrote: »
    He was a roadie for Jimi Hendrix and others and he doesn't take BS from anyone, cause he's seen it all b4, several times over. He's a pussycat around people genuinely needing help,but you rattle his cage at yr peril :eek:

Seeing as he's mid to late thirtys at most and Jimi is dead 29 years he must have been the youngest roadie in history.

• Advertisement

Seeing as he's mid to late thirtys at most and Jimi is dead 29 years he must have been the youngest roadie in history.

OBVIOUSLY we're talkin bout two different people then :rolleyes:

Max001 wrote: »
    OBVIOUSLY we're talkin bout two different people then :rolleyes:

Bald guy with a beard who works on the front desk on the ground floor? I dont mean the security desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

liberal wrote: »
    i find Q1 to be the quitest, but doesn't have the talent of q2 law/commerce

It's settled. After Christmas, I'm studying in Q+2.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

I am usually very happy with the library, but during the last two weeks, when I spent a huge amount of time in there, the place really started to annoy me. everytime I wanted a computer it took me literally 20 minutes to find one, if I found one at all. The catalogue in that library is infuriating, when it says check shelf and they clearly are not there. I know this is because people take the books of the shelf, but I think some sort of system could be introduced that you would check them out,just for use in the library or something, because the amount of time I spent looking for books that were not there was just head wrecking. also, people seriously need to put books back on those trolleys becasue they are everywhere, which again is a problem if you are looking for books.

Another point I want to make is the photocopiers. I had to go to three different floors last week to find one that wasnt broken/in use. joke. the staff, through my experiences are largely rude and unhelpful, and as for the security... grr... I was walking out the other day and two people were a little behind me, I walked through the barrier no problem and it beeped when the two behind me walked through. He then shouted at me to come back to see if it was me who set it of when clearly it wasnt. I was almost through the second set of doors! it was just unneccessary and annoying. In general they treat you like muck because they think, ah sure they are only students.... :mad:

anyways to round up my rant nicely.. the library was about as helpful as a kick in the face during the last few weeks.

I am usually very happy with the library, but during the last two weeks, when I spent a huge amount of time in there, the place really started to annoy me. everytime I wanted a computer it took me literally 20 minutes to find one, if I found one at all. The catalogue in that library is infuriating, when it says check shelf and they clearly are not there. I know this is because people take the books of the shelf, but I think some sort of system could be introduced that you would check them out,just for use in the library or something, because the amount of time I spent looking for books that were not there was just head wrecking. also, people seriously need to put books back on those trolleys becasue they are everywhere, which again is a problem if you are looking for books.

Another point I want to make is the photocopiers. I had to go to three different floors last week to find one that wasnt broken/in use. joke. the staff, through my experiences are largely rude and unhelpful, and as for the security... grr... I was walking out the other day and two people were a little behind me, I walked through the barrier no problem and it beeped when the two behind me walked through. He then shouted at me to come back to see if it was me who set it of when clearly it wasnt. I was almost through the second set of doors! it was just unneccessary and annoying. In general they treat you like muck because they think, ah sure they are only students.... :mad:

anyways to round up my rant nicely.. the library was about as helpful as a kick in the face during the last few weeks.

Firstly do you return books to their exact position every time you use one? Secondly the system your propossing would be extremely expensive. Students need to take some sort of accountability, next you'll want a scanner in the bog that dispenses the toilet roll per person because there was none in there when you went for a dump.

Finally I cant believe you were'nt allowed to walk out when the alarm went, the bloody cheek of him. Why do you think there are often books marked as on shelf that you cant find anywhere. Its because people steal books everyday.

I agree with you on the photocpier/PC rant but its fairly obvious that they're under staffed in there and those that are left have taken an 11% pay cut over the past twelve months. I'd be cranky too, wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jak O Shadows

everytime I wanted a computer it took me literally 20 minutes to find one, if I found one at all.

That is probably because other people are using them :rolleyes: Unless of course you are the centre of the universe, in which case one should be kept exclusively for your personal use. If you want to have access to a PC bring a laptop otherwise it first come first serve.
    The catalogue in that library is infuriating, when it says check shelf and they clearly are not there. I know this is because people take the books of the shelf,

Isn't that what the books are there for? Again 'centre of the universe syndrome'. Did you check the reshelving area, the trollys or ask a staff member. They can find books when you can't and will take your number and get back to you when they find it. Also a lot of your fellow students hide books, steal them and tear out large chunks. They also suffer from 'centre of the universe syndrome'
    but I think some sort of system could be introduced that you would check them out,just for use in the library or something, because the amount of time I spent looking for books that were not there was just head wrecking. also, people seriously need to put books back on those trolleys becasue they are everywhere, which again is a problem if you are looking for books.

So let me get this straight, you want people to check out books to themselves so that they can use them within the library. Meaning that when they are finished with them they will have to return them through the returns machine or some other system. If it is the returns machine, then all the books would have to go downstairs to be returned then be brought back to the floors of shelving. Another system would mean that the staff would have to check in every single book to make sure that they are all cleared and that people aren't getting fined and that other people can borrow them. Are you beginnnig to see the drawback with this. I'm sure a librarian could think of many more reasons why this idea is totally unworkable.
    Another point I want to make is the photocopiers. I had to go to three different floors last week to find one that wasnt broken/in use.

That is becaus people are too damn lazy to go to a staff desk and report an out of order machine or a paper jam. The same used to happen with printers. Hundreds of pages abandoned until someone called a staff member and then they spend half an hour cancelling jobs. At least pay for printing has stopped that unbelievable waste.
    the staff, through my experiences are largely rude and unhelpful, and as for the security... grr... I was walking out the other day and two people were a little behind me, I walked through the barrier no problem and it beeped when the two behind me walked through. He then shouted at me to come back to see if it was me who set it of when clearly it wasnt. I was almost through the second set of doors! it was just unneccessary and annoying. In general they treat you like muck because they think, ah sure they are only students....

I agree with PhatPiggins here, are you seriously complaining because security stopped you in an attempt to stop books being stolen. I think you had better have a look at the library rules, which as a student of UCC you signed up to. I quote
    " Any person in the Library, if requested to do so by a member of the Library staff, must display or deposit details of identity. Any person leaving the Library, or any separate enclosed and controlled area within the Library, may be required to show any books or other material in his or her possession to a member of the Library Staff. In all these cases failure to comply may be treated as an offence, the penalty being stated in Library Ordinance L.O.7."
    And by the way failure to comply carries a €30-€60 fine.

Before anyone asks, yes, I used to work in the library as a student help many years ago. I have done a degree, masters and am now finishing a Phd in UCC so have been a frequent user for many years. The staff have always been very helpful and have often gone above and beyond and have opened up areas of research I wouldn't have considered. The 'scary bald guy' has a particular talent for finding obscure references and material. Try being nice to the staff, if you ask them you will find a treasure trove of expertiese.

As for you being treated as a 'student' well that is what you are and they do deal with 18,000 odd of them every year, to them you are just another face passing through even if you are the centre of your own universe.;)

That is probably because other people are using them :rolleyes: Unless of course you are the centre of the universe, in which case one should be kept exclusively for your personal use. If you want to have access to a PC bring a laptop otherwise it first come first serve.

Isn't that what the books are there for? Again 'centre of the universe syndrome'. Did you check the reshelving area, the trollys or ask a staff member. They can find books when you can't and will take your number and get back to you when they find it. Also a lot of your fellow students hide books, steal them and tear out large chunks. They also suffer from 'centre of the universe syndrome'

So let me get this straight, you want people to check out books to themselves so that they can use them within the library. Meaning that when they are finished with them they will have to return them through the returns machine or some other system. If it is the returns machine, then all the books would have to go downstairs to be returned then be brought back to the floors of shelving. Another system would mean that the staff would have to check in every single book to make sure that they are all cleared and that people aren't getting fined and that other people can borrow them. Are you beginnnig to see the drawback with this. I'm sure a librarian could think of many more reasons why this idea is totally unworkable.

That is becaus people are too damn lazy to go to a staff desk and report an out of order machine or a paper jam. The same used to happen with printers. Hundreds of pages abandoned until someone called a staff member and then they spend half an hour cancelling jobs. At least pay for printing has stopped that unbelievable waste.

I agree with PhatPiggins here, are you seriously complaining because security stopped you in an attempt to stop books being stolen. I think you had better have a look at the library rules, which as a student of UCC you signed up to. I quote
    " Any person in the Library, if requested to do so by a member of the Library staff, must display or deposit details of identity. Any person leaving the Library, or any separate enclosed and controlled area within the Library, may be required to show any books or other material in his or her possession to a member of the Library Staff. In all these cases failure to comply may be treated as an offence, the penalty being stated in Library Ordinance L.O.7."
    And by the way failure to comply carries a €30-€60 fine.

Before anyone asks, yes, I used to work in the library as a student help many years ago. I have done a degree, masters and am now finishing a Phd in UCC so have been a frequent user for many years. The staff have always been very helpful and have often gone above and beyond and have opened up areas of research I wouldn't have considered. The 'scary bald guy' has a particular talent for finding obscure references and material. Try being nice to the staff, if you ask them you will find a treasure trove of expertiese.

As for you being treated as a 'student' well that is what you are and they do deal with 18,000 odd of them every year, to them you are just another face passing through even if you are the centre of your own universe.;)

Has to take the prize for the funniest and best retort of the year! Gets my vote anyways! :D

Seems CaptSpeckle should also get a prize because clearly it takes extraordinary talent to rouse Jack O Shadows who posts on average only once a year. Ah, I do love boards.....endless entertainment and all for free......the wastrels at RTE should take note!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

If you dont agree with my post then thats fine. I would appreciate if you stopped insulting me By saying that I believe I am the centre of the Universe.

dont see why you should form an opinion about me when you dont even know me. this isnt what the thread is about.

I think you're being a little unfair Jak O Shadows, fair enough if captainspeckle has debatable issues with the library and they are, I agree but saying that they suffer from 'centre of the earth universe' is unfair imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Jak O Shadows: You have some valid points but in future, please do not get personal when retorting to someone's post:
    That is probably because other people are using them :rolleyes: Unless of course you are the centre of the universe, in which case one should be kept exclusively for your personal use

Again 'centre of the universe syndrome'........ Also a lot of your fellow students hide books, steal them and tear out large chunks. They also suffer from 'centre of the universe syndrome'

Taking personal digs at another user is against the charter of this forum and against boards.ie rules. Don't do it again.

As it happens, I'm in the library right now. Damn lab reports. :(

Advertisement