Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Library.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Yeah guys, chillax like. It was CaptainSpeckle's opinion and she's perfectly entitled to it.

Everyone has different experiences of using the library - mine are mostly positive , but I can definitely see how people can have bad ones.

And she's totally right about the lack of computers. Ever since the ORB open access labs closed, all the PCs around campus have been ridiculously busy - especially in the library. Hopefully the opening of the new Kane one will alleviate this. But it really does grind my gears when all PCs on every floor are taken, but I see someone on Facebook and I have to do an essay that week. I know we're all guilty of going on Facebook but its a legitimate criticism.

Also, saying to people if all the PCs are taken that its 'tough luck' is disingenuous and rude. We all can't afford a fúcking laptop like :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Yeah guys, chillax like. It was CaptainSpeckle's opinion and he's perfectly entitled to it.

+1, except CaptainSpeckle is a she, not a he. :)

+1, except CaptainSpeckle is a she, not a he. :)

Woops! Sorry captainspeckle! :o

And fair play Knifewrench for being in college this week, friggin dedication! :eek:

It's not so much due to dedication as it is to me falling hopelessly behind and needing to finish work this week if I want to pass the year. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Christ you'd have to drag me into the library this week!

Got two assignments done and need two for the 11th or so. Couldn't have gotten them done without the help of the library!

• Advertisement

There are approximately 5 people (other than myself) in Q+1 right now.
    Eerie....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Eerie....

I was in there at 11, had to go up to Q+2 for some books for an assignment due the 6th, and there wasn't more than ten people on the whole floor, its completely freaky! Also have an assignment due the first day back, scientific report :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Eerie....

Would you ever go home KNIFE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I had a book due back on 23 Dec (last day library closes) - if you remember back that far roads were very dangerous that day so I didn't drive into college to return it, said i'd just leave it in the next day they were open

On 30 Dec they emailed me looking for 60e to replace the book - despite them not having been open since, so essentially they are looking for a 60e fine for a book being one day late

Will the cnuts try make me pay this?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

I had a book due back on 23 Dec (last day library closes) - if you remember back that far roads were very dangerous that day so I didn't drive into college to return it, said i'd just leave it in the next day they were open

On 30 Dec they emailed me looking for 60e to replace the book - despite them not having been open since, so essentially they are looking for a 60e fine for a book being one day late

Will the cnuts try make me pay this?

Don't sweat it. Its just to encourage you to leave the book back. Most you might have to pay is a few euros for being overdue. Same thing happened to me. Wasn't an issue when I took the book back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Max001 wrote: »
    Don't sweat it. Its just to encourage you to leave the book back. Most you might have to pay is a few euros for being overdue. Same thing happened to me. Wasn't an issue when I took the book back.

Yep exact same happened to me. Paid about a euro fine instead of the 60 quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jak O Shadows

Ok Captainspeckle, I am sorry for saying that I think, that you think, you are the centre of the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Jak O Shadows

Also, the staff are rather mixed... Some (I'd say the vast majority) are lovely and very helpful, but some are absolutely horrible people (one of the security guards, a few of the librarians)
    The big scary baldy man that works on the front desk??? :D:D
    unhelpful staff-though of course that last one is based on what people and The Express have told me.
    Jak O Shadows: You have some valid points but in future, please do not get personal when retorting to someone's post:

Taking personal digs at another user is against the charter of this forum and against boards.ie rules. Don't do it again.

Ok KnifeWRENCH, i am suitably remonstrated, interesting location by the way.

So as moderator are you going to challenge the other statements and personal attacks against library staff members. The guy at the security desk for instance, there are only 5 of them after all and any regular user will make a damn good guess at who was being discussed.

Or even worse, 'the scary baldy man at the front desk' with the beard and in his mid thirties who is allegedly a 'horrible person'. Don't you think that this deserves comment as a personal attack? He has no means of defending himself unless he comes on here and publically identifies himself, hardly fair on an anonymous forum. Also there are only 2 guys that work regularly on the front desk, one has long hair. That means thet he is directly identifiable, no ifs, buts or mabeys. I doubt he is very happy about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

So as moderator are you going to challenge the other statements and personal attacks against library staff members. The guy at the security desk for instance, there are only 5 of them after all and any regular user will make a damn good guess at who was being discussed.

Or even worse, 'the scary baldy man at the front desk' with the beard and in his mid thirties who is allegedly a 'horrible person'. Don't you think that this deserves comment as a personal attack? He has no means of defending himself unless he comes on here and publically identifies himself, hardly fair on an anonymous forum. Also there are only 2 guys that work regularly on the front desk, one has long hair. That means thet he is directly identifiable, no ifs, buts or mabeys. I doubt he is very happy about this.

You re not allowed to question mods they get terribly flustered when caught out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

PhatPiggins banned for yet more trolling and baiting.

Once again - public mod criticism will result in a ban on this forum. PM either myself or Knifewrench if you have a problem with our work.

Finally, no more personal insults towards members of ieboards. I'd also suggest people be careful with unsubstantiated negative remarks about people in UCC. ;)

I doubt he reads boards.ie tbh. Or cares for that matter.

Glad you think so.

If we receive any serious complaints from a Library staff member about comments made here I assure you that they will be dealt with accordingly. However, my job is to make sure personal attacks against members of this forum aren't tolerated. It's not my job to defend everyone from criticism or censor any negative opinions some forum users may have about UCC facilities.

Finally, as Orizio said, if you have a problem with the way this forum is being moderated then PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Sorry about bumping an old thread, anyway...

Does anybody know the opening hours of the library during the summer months ?

Thanks in advance !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Michael.. wrote: »
    Sorry about bumping an old thread, anyway...

Does anybody know the opening hours of the library during the summer months ?

Thanks in advance !!

http://booleweb.ucc.ie/index.php?pageID=10&year=2012&month=5&filter=

Just scroll the calendar forward to the summer. They won't announce the Quad reading room hours till June.

Advertisement