Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Besiktas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Gibson was a shambles, a player that gets a spot on the bench is total crap.
    redout wrote: »
    Headshot by now you should that Nani is never the answer ;)

Nani wouldnt be as bad as welbeck on the wing tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Headshot wrote: »
    Im not a fan of Nani but not to bring him on instead of welbeck was madness I think

yeah he should of been brought on.. I feel a bit sorry for him tbh i think his confidence must be shot to sh*t at this stage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

rotinaj wrote: »
    No hes not. He didnt do alot tonight, but has been a lot better than Ando. Would you call Ando sh1t?
    Correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

for me...

macheda put in a good shift.

welbeck started the better but did f*** all in the second half.

anderson anonymous.

gibson tried, but isn't really good enough.

vidic looked frustrated with what was going on around him.

it's handy for ferguson to be able to throw the young ones in there seen as qualification is safe.

i don't think it was that bad a performance. just a bit inept in the final third, and lacking drive in midfield, and lacking quality delivery from good wide positions.

you still had at least 4/5 very good chances, Rustu had to make 2 world class saves, and you were denied a penalty.

i wouldn't be too harsh on the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

that was a shambles
    redout wrote: »
    Rubbish.

Utter rubbish.
    Pathetic.
    Terrible, terrible result and performance from united.

Love knee jerk reaction

Bit harsh , Yes not the greatest performance but was just one of those nights , Look at the starting line up and I think the team did OK and made enough chances to win any game, One Deflected Goal .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭McGrath5

lol at Dunphy "Albanian television is coming for you Bill"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Going on that display, if the younger & fringe players are the future of Man Utd, the future of the club looks very bleak indeed. What struck me more than anything else that they could be faulted for - and there was a LOT at fault tonight - was their complete lack of passion & desire to win the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Love knee jerk reaction

Bit harsh , Yes not the greatest performance but was just one of those nights , Look at the starting line up and I think the team did OK and made enough chances to win any game, One Deflected Goal .......

It's not knee-jerk. None of those posts were calling for Fergie's head or anything, just pointing out that it was a terrible performance, calling a spade a spade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Love knee jerk reaction

what exactly is knee-jerk about (correctly) summarizing a performance as being poor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

People on here should stop listening to the RTE panel.

Well no, never stop listening because I'm in tears laughing. Just stop taking them seriously.

Gibson is the reason Reid isn't in the Irish Squad. :D

So many positives from the match, I'm very happy. A different night United would have been comfortable winners.

The whole B team with another CL match. All Positive apart from the result.

Some people need to cop the fook on.

The Muppet wrote: »
    It is, it's good for us United fans to have our team in the final stages.

nice.

if in doubt just deflect.

bandit was making an honest comment about the utd performance; a comment many of you share sentiment with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

rarnes1 wrote: »
    oh dear

no need for that.

What are you whinging about? I was answering bandit12's question.

Love knee jerk reaction

I dont mind getting beaten mate if utd put in a good shift but utd were ****e tonight

obertan showed some nice stuff but cant cross his legs
    gibson: enough said about him
    ando: Pathetic
    welbeck: good first half but crap second
    kiko: good shift and really the only player that came out well tonight, should have buried that header but it was an unreal save
    Raf: looked lost on the LB and shouldnt play out their again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Their goal was completely against the run of play and their keeper had to produce some stunning saves to ensure the 3 points. Considering it was largely a second string team I would take a lot of positives out of that performance. I'm surprised at the negative reaction from some fans.

It was a glorified friendly game in truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Lets not get too upset over what was nothing more than a training ground game and a chance to look at some young lads.

Bad performance, but no one will remember this game at the end of the seson no matter what. Its a luxury you can afford when you get the job done nice and quickly in the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

What are you whinging about? I was answering bandit12's question.
    You were taking a dig at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Boggles wrote: »
    People on here should stop listening to the RTE panel.

Well no, never stop listening because I'm in tears laughing. Just stop taking them seriously.

Gibson is the reason Reid isn't in the Irish Squad. :D

So many positives from the match, I'm very happy. A different night United would have been comfortable winners.

Some people need to cop the fook on.

+1

Case in point -

Start of game Giles cant discuss Obertan because he hasnt seen enough of him

After game - Write off whole united youth team and reserves after one game! !

flahavaj wrote: »
    Lets not get too upset over what was nothing more than a training ground game and a chance to look at some young lads.

Bad performance, but no one will remember this game at the end of the seson no matter what. Its a luxury you can afford when you get the job done nice and quickly in the group.

That's all pretty obvious. But the thread is about the match, not the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

So many positives from the match, I'm very happy.

whole B team?

I'm surprised at the negative reaction from some fans.

Regardless of that, you'd expect more passion & drive, even from a 2nd string of players - but ESPECIALLY in a home game against a poor team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Going on that display, if the younger & fringe players are the future of Man Utd, the future of the club looks very bleak indeed. What struck me more than anything else that they could be faulted for - and there was a LOT at fault tonight - was their complete lack of passion & desire to win the match.

Ah to be fair it was only one game. It's tabloid(dunphy) nonsense to write off the players on one game.

What really worried tonight was the awful display of Anderson. I thought he was starting to get a bit of form back this season after taking so many steps back last season.

Did anybody else hear Dunphy actually start to suggest that united have few players missing ???

Vidic Aside, it was our reserves . . Who lost to a deflected goal and were denied an obvious peno . . Seems refs dont like united these days . .:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Their goal was completely against the run of play and their keeper had to produce some stunning saves to ensure the 3 points. Considering it was largely a second string team I would take a lot of positives out of that performance. I'm surprised at the negative reaction from some fans.

I disagree. On paper it shouldn't have been any problem getting 1 point from two games but now we have to go to Wolfsburg, who have a good home record and who need to win to guarantee staying in the competition. I know what everyone is saying, good teams are finishing second and it's a very tight competition, but 1st place should have been wrapped up tonight.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    whole B team?

LOUL. Anyone got any straws?:pac:

Dunphy said the exact same thing Verbatim about Ronaldo.

So how much have we on the field tonight, 800 million in a few years time??? :D

I think utd should have played their strongest team tonight and then play more or less the whole youth team against wolfsburg

the likes of Norwood, Eikrim and petrucci would get great experience but after tonight's loss it makes it harder for us in Germany

It's all down hill from here.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i didn't see the match, am only in the door, it was a genuine question.

Owen was anonymous when he came on. United definitely lacking a good backup striker.

I think utd should have played their strongest team tonight and then play more or less the whole youth team against wolfsburg

the likes of Norwood, Eikrim and petrucci would great experience but after tonights loss it makes it harder for us in Germany

Balls, we have a tough tie against Pompey where we traditionally struggle, Ferguson did the exact same thing I would have.

CL in the bag, concentrate on the league.

2nd place might get Barcalona for Christ sake.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    Ah to be fair it was only one game. It's tabloid(dunphy) nonsense to write off the players on one game.

Excuse me - I didn't write off the whole team on one game. I said that based on THAT display, you couldn't bank on the youths achieving much in United jerseys & based on TONIGHT's performance, there was nothing to suggest otherwise.

I've seen the reserves play many times & know that they are capable of a lot better than this - my point is that I can't understand their apparent lack of passion to win tonight.

Looks like we only have premier league survival to look forward to in 2 years time ! ! !

Dunphy - "Giggs and scholes, sure they're practically dead " ! ! !

Owen was anonymous when he came on. United definitely lacking a good backup striker.

Gotta admire this guy he really tries his best. The Dirk Kuyt of posters so to speak.:pac:

He got no service, yet could have created a goal late on. He's not the player he once was but I'm happy to have him as backup all things considered.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i didn't see the match, am only in the door, it was a genuine question.

foster, rafael, vidic, brown, neville, obertan, gibson, anderson, park, welbeck, macheda.

owen and carrick came on late enough.

Balls, we have a tough tie against Pompey where we traditionally struggle, Ferguson did the exact same thing I would have.

1st place may also get Barca in fairness

He got no service, yet could have created a goal late on. He's not the player he once was but I'm happy to have him as backup all things considered.

True the service was terrible alright.

balls ?

finish off Besiktas quickly and then rest players, makes sense dont it ?
    the same pompey that are going brutal and just sacked their manager.

boggles if we won tonight we would have 1st place sewn up

quarryman wrote: »
    what exactly is knee-jerk about (correctly) summarizing a performance as being poor?

Yes a poor performance .
    But calling the performance
    " a Shambles ...Rubbish , Utter Rubbish ...Pathetic....Terrible...."
    at the final whistle is a knee jerk reaction ,

Yes it was not your finest hour but It was in no way as bad as people are making out and there was some good things to be taken from the game IMO,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The match tonight wasnt as bad as it may appear to those who didnt watch it or who only saw bits

We were dominant for 90% of the match, it was just a lack of finishing ability that undid us, quite pleased with some of the performances, Obertan showed he has the quality to make it as a united player imo, he needs to work on his final ball (said the same about Ronnie!) but once he gets that right he will be great, genuinely excited most times he gets the ball

Macheda and Wellbeck were making similar runs and moves too often but both will have come on for the match, still dont think either will ever cement a first team place but the experience is vital in case they are called on at some stage this season

Gibson....no, just no....still cant figure out why he plays, unless he has compromising photos of Fergie

Raf did alright, just not so strong on his left foot so always hampering him playing left back

Owen was non existent when he came on, but he didnt get a whole lot of service in and around the box, where he is effective only pretty much

Evra was very threatening when he came on and should have had a penalty, i mean how close was the ref to that ffs

Their keeper pulled off a couple of nice saves at the end but we didnt work him enough all through the game in fairness

A lack of class in the shooting department cost us, and a freak goal denied us a draw even in that!

Gotta admire this guy he really tries his best. The Dirk Kuyt of posters so to speak.:pac:

or Park ;)

we are in a utd match thread after all.

balls ?

finish off Besiktas quickly and then rest players, makes sense dont it ?
    the same pompey that are going brutal and just sacked their manager.

boggles if we won tonight we would have 1st place sewn up

Which means their almost a certainty to get a result under their caretaker manager. Happens every time.

No one whinged about the line-up before the game, hindsight is 20-20. The team that was put out was plenty good enough to get at least a point tonight and nearly did in the end.

SlickRic wrote: »
    or Park ;)

we are in a utd match thread after all.
    Exactly. SlickRic gets it.

Exactly. SlickRic gets it.

woooo!

always ;)

to be the man...

kryogen wrote: »
    The match tonight wasnt as bad as it may appear to those who didnt watch it or who only saw bits

You may not agree with others opinions, but don't write them off by saying that they didn't watch it or "only saw bits". Your opinion is just as valid & therefor does not need to be over-validated by having a dig.

• Advertisement

Hmmm I wouldn't mention the prediction thread :D;)

You may not agree with others opinions, but don't write them off by saying that they didn't watch it or "only saw bits". Your opinion is just as valid & therefor does not need to be over-validated by having a dig.

how did you take that as a dig?

i didnt mention anyone elses post, i didnt read anyone elses post, i am just in the door, and gave my own opinion

is that ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

"Hes good enuff to play for Ireland" looks at ground

lol Dunphy just said United wont be competitive in Europe this year, then when asked to clarify he started talking about Bordeaux and Inter Milan! doesnt mention united again, what a man!

• Advertisement
Advertisement