Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Besiktas

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

That was prob one of the worst games of football ive ever watched. It was like a boring lifeless dull training match. None of the younger lads - Obertan excepted - showed any real desire to make things happen.

Fabio looked the part bombing forward but to no real effect and was exposed defensively a good few times.
    Macheda had a few nice touches and looked like he could definitely make the grade with a few better players around him and a more open game.
    Wellbeck i was disappointed with. He seemed to make identical runs to Macheda a lot of the time and never really got into the game.
    Gibson was pure sh1te end of.

Contrast Uniteds youngsters with Arsenals and i think weve got problems.

I hope Obertan is given a run as he certainly looks like he could become a good player.

What ever happened to Tosic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Rob113 wrote: »
    That was prob one of the worst games of football ive ever watched. It was like a boring lifeless dull training match. None of the younger lads - Obertan excepted - showed any real desire to make things happen.

Fabio looked the part bombing forward but to no real effect and was exposed defensively a good few times.
    Macheda had a few nice touches and looked like he could definitely make the grade with a few better players around him and a more open game.
    Wellbeck i was disappointed with. He seemed to make identical runs to Macheda a lot of the time and never really got into the game.

I hope Obertan is given a run as he certainly looks like he could become a good player.

:D

are you eamo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Rafael looked the part bombing forward but to no real effect and was exposed defensively a good few times.

Looking a bit better now ;)

Tosic isnt in the Champions League squad.

Damn you Headshot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

kryogen wrote: »

Damn you Headshot!

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Damn you Headshot!

My bad. Im now going to take myself to a darkened room and have a long hard talk to myself.:(

My bad. Im now going to take myself to a darkened room and have a long hard talk to myself.:(

you never know, could do ya the world of good mate! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

SlickRic wrote: »
    i don't think it was that bad a performance. just a bit inept in the final third, and lacking drive in midfield, and lacking quality delivery from good wide positions.

So ehh, good defensively? :p
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Owen was anonymous when he came on. United definitely lacking a good backup striker.

I don't think he was given a pass of the ball... He's not Rooney, he shouldn't have to go back and retrieve the ball from midfield, he's put on cos you want someone to set him up and him to poke it home. He had no service, it's nothing to do with his talent.

As far as the game was concerned, it was a glorified friendly as mentioned, and it was supposed to be a test/experience for the kids. It was a poor performance in general, not very happy with it.

Foster - Didn't have much to do, thankfully
    Gaz - Not as good as lately, but decent performance
    Brown - No problems
    Vida - Same
    Rafael - Thought he looked rather toothless, certainly not as threatening as on the right. He doesn't seem to have a left foot really.

Gibbo - Shocking. 90% of what he touched turned to sh*t. He's not usually that bad, so I'm not writing him off, but that was poor.
    Anderson - Not as wasteful as Gibbo, but didn't stamp his authority on the game. Anonymous in the first half. Improved in the second.
    Obertan - Good to see him get a full match. Lots of good build-up play, good control and vision. Rather poor final product for the most part. Glimpses of class though. Yes, I'd be happier seeing him on the teamsheet than Nani. Sorry.
    Park - Not up to much really.

Macheda & Welbeck - Thought they linked up well at times. You can tell they've played together quite alot. Macheda looked better than Welbeck, but I thought they both had decent games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

just read this whole thread.

foster - nothing to do, not at fault for the goal. Good, quick distribution

Neville - did ok for an aulfella, got in some good positions but was never picked out
    Brown - solid game
    Vidic - solid
    Rafael - at fault for the goal, should have closed down, good coming forward, but not defensively

Obertan - some bad decision making, very good first 20mins, faded after
    Gibson - didn't think he was as bad as most seem to, probably a 6/10 performance
    Anderson - brutal. couldn't pass at all tonight, should have came off
    Park - bad crossing, below his best performance

Wellbeck - tryied too hard to impress, thought he was better than Macheda in the second half. Should have come off in the second.
    Macheda - good performance for me, probably should have looked wide a bit more.

Didn't watch the afters, not that anyone should take them seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

He played better tonight than Nani has all season, which says a lot.

Nani played better in the sheild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

how did you take that as a dig?

i didnt mention anyone elses post, i didnt read anyone elses post, i am just in the door, and gave my own opinion

is that ok?

That's fine, but you did say, "The match tonight wasnt as bad as it may appear to those who didnt watch it or who only saw bits", which appeared to imply that anyone who who DID watch the whole match & did consider it a poor display, were in fact incorrect. My point was that opinions are neither correct or incorrect, they are just opinions!

• Advertisement

That's fine, but you did say, "The match tonight wasnt as bad as it may appear to those who didnt watch it or who only saw bits", which appeared to imply that anyone who who DID watch the whole match & did consider it a poor display, were in fact incorrect. My point was that opinions are neither correct or incorrect, they are just opinions!

my new point, is that you read too much into statements

my new point, is that you read too much into statements

I only read what was in black & white.

I only read what was in black & white.

And interpreted it in your own way

or should i say mis-interpreted it?

And interpreted it in your own way

In fairness, without the power of inhabitating other people's minds, that's the only way I could have interpreted (or mis-interpreted) it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Going on that display, if the younger & fringe players are the future of Man Utd, the future of the club looks very bleak indeed.

Agreed, you can't win anything with kids. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Gibson was absolutely shocking. He's just not up to it IMO. I think Fergie summed it up when Gibson took the freekick from outside box to the left of the goal, and Fergie was clearly caught saying "Thats rubbish, that". Fergie can't be serious when he talks about him up so much. He's shocking.

On the bright side, Macheda and Obertan looked promising.

In fairness, without the power of inhabitating other people's minds, that's the only way I could have interpreted it!

sigh, this is getting pretty boring, im not gonna explain my comment cause it really isnt that important, you misinterpretted it, no biggie

i will only ask this question to you

If you had not seen the game tonight but you checked the result and saw the United had lost 1 nil, at home to them, would you think maybe it would have had to have been a pretty bad performance by us to lose to them?

i dont want to know your answer

good night

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Agreed, you can't win anything with kids. ;)

And you can win any argument with selective editing. My opinion, as stated, was based purely on Utd's performance tonight - I've seen quite a few reserves games & am well aware that they are a lot more capable of pulling off better displays than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Gibson was absolutely shocking. He's just not up to it IMO. I think Fergie summed it up when Gibson took the freekick from outside box to the left of the goal, and Fergie was clearly caught saying "Thats rubbish, that". Fergie can't be serious when he talks about him up so much. He's shocking.

Me and my bro both thought it looked like he said "Gobsh*te" :D

Maybe not though !

• Advertisement

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »

oh christ that free kick....then Carrick's free kick from pretty much the same spot :eek:

Maybe Eamo had a point when comparing Carrick and Gibson! He is just a poor imitation of him lol

Dave! wrote: »
    Me and my bro both thought it looked like he said "Gobsh*te" :D

Maybe not though !

I can't understand Fergie at the best of times, let alone by lip reading!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

And you can win any argument with selective editing. My opinion, as stated, was based purely on Utd's performance tonight - I've seen quite a few reserves games & am well aware that they are a lot more capable of pulling off better displays than that.

And my counter opinion is that it's silly to to base your opinion on one performance.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    And my counter opinion is that it's silly to to base your opinion on one performance.

Which is why I qualified my post with "going on that display". If I were going on long term displays from the reserves, that would be a different story, but as the thread is about tonight's game & tonight's performances, that again is another story.

Advertisement