Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Clothes Collections (split from Fake ESB thread)

Options
  • 23-11-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

On a related topic - has anybody noticed that their door handles are being tried when the clothes stickers are being delivered in the wee hours of the morning? It happened to us a couple of times in the past week. Same general area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Eoineo wrote: »
    On a related topic - has anybody noticed that their door handles are being tried when the clothes stickers are being delivered in the wee hours of the morning? It happened to us a couple of times in the past week. Same general area.

Interesting, doesn't surprise me one bit, I think those stupid sticker things need to be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

What time do these stickers be put in doors at. I have often noticed them in the hall when I am leaving for work around 6am. :confused:

all times of the day and night, my dog often wakes me up barking at them at 3 or 4 in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

in my part of balbriggan it is usually between 3-4 am when the stickers are put in the letterbox and they certainly make a racket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Eoineo wrote: »

i've heard this from a few people now... apparently what they are doing is checking to see if your door does be left open or to see if your house is empty so they can organize it to be robbed or something along the lines.

seriously guys, pulling the door behind you isint good enough anymore, please use your key to lock the other part or whatever way your door is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Absurdum wrote: »
    all times of the day and night, my dog often wakes me up barking at them at 3 or 4 in the morning

Worth saying again, that's when the lads with the clothes stickers come around.
    I've worked shift and brought my bike into the estate. Tis eerie when it's just you, a lad in a van and a few foreign guys walking door to door and putting stickers in the letter box around the place at 5am

If your dog is barking at that hour then that's it.
    Well you know this, some people don't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I said that to my friend before, glad to know Im not the only one,cathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Clothes Stickers ?????
    what be they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Clothes Stickers ?????
    what be they ?

A5 shaped flyers that come in the door with adhesive backing.

This chap: http://ocaoimh.ie/89492907/do-not-delay-how-to-spot-a-fake-charity-flyer/ has more information on them. His other website doesn't seem to work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Sorry for going off topic but at the end of the day the only reason these scumbags are still littering residents with "charity" requests is because there is still muppets leaving stuff out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I know, as many may know I support the balbriggan charity FRIENDS of asd/adhd.
    anyway, bags are always welcomed down there.Sometimes I even feel like picking them up from outside peoples doors and dropping them oiff.Because I know there are bogus charitys ,
    its terrible.
    cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

cathy01 wrote: »
    Because I know there are bogus charitys ,
    its terrible.

A lot of them are, their was a big deal made of this last year at some point. Their is only certain charities that you should give stuff too. A lot were being resold out foreign apparently. Ive heard they do the same with the yellow clothes bins, they nearly get all the way inside to get them out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Davy wrote: »
    A lot of them are, their was a big deal made of this last year at some point. Their is only certain charities that you should give stuff too. A lot were being resold out foreign apparently. Ive heard they do the same with the yellow clothes bins, they nearly get all the way inside to get them out

Apparently they get over 200k for every container they fill and ship. Its massive business.

Ive also noticed the charity tags in the door in the mornings but its never registered in my head that it was delivered at god knows what time.

Davy wrote: »
    Apparently they get over 200k for every container they fill and ship. Its massive business.

Ive also noticed the charity tags in the door in the mornings but its never registered in my head that it was delivered at god knows what time.

The "Buyer Beware" show on RTE covered this about 6 months ago and the lads collecting the bags were getting 30c IIRC. And yes they send kids into the yellow bins, they had it on film!

The poxy thing is they are not breaking the law and the guards arent interested in the slightest. You or me could set up a "charity" in the morning and leaflet drop every house in Dublin and nobody could touch you :eek:

A lad on the estate was pi$$ed off with these clowns dropping leaflets in his door at 4am so he asked his mate (a detective) for them to have a "word" with the lads concerned so they did a stake out and caught them a week later and they were told not to visit the estate again :)

Sizzler wrote: »
    so they did a stake out and caught them a week later and they were told not to visit the estate again :)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

A lad on the estate was pi$$ed off with these clowns dropping leaflets in his door at 4am so he asked his mate (a detective) for them to have a "word" with the lads concerned so they did a stake out and caught them a week later and they were told not to visit the estate again :)

Thing is a different group will be around with a different crappy looking sticker on their van to scope your house distribute stickers.

No laws, no telling them what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

If you put stuff in the bags they don't want they throw them over the sea wall at Barnageera - I've seen them there

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I've seen those gombeens come and collect stuff that should be for other charities too. We like to leave stuff out for Enable Ireland and my wife said she saw them come and collect the stuff in advance of the Enable Ireland heads. Knackers.

PCros wrote: »
    Thing is a different group will be around with a different crappy looking sticker on their van to scope your house distribute stickers.

No laws, no telling them what to do.
    Yup, agreed.

Theres probably 4-5 gangs at it and only worked for a few weeks untill the next group moved in on it.

Its disgusting but I cant believe the IQ of some people who leave the stuff out, do they actually believe its going to charity or are they just lazy baxtards who couldnt be arsed going to the local charity shop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

also, in the early days I left stuff out. I noticed that sometimes it wasn't collected and left sitting there all day. I think they do this also to see how many hours a day your house is unattended - leaving a bag outside is like a beacon for them, and also other unsavories who might happen by.

I don't see how the bag being there is any indication that you're not home. We've left bags out all day and my wife is a stay at home mum. We take them in in the evening (assuming that they were never coming at that point).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Enable Ireland

Hi all,

Unfortunately what was once an effective way of removing the hassle from donating unwanted good to genuine charities is being spoilt by illegitimate groups who claim to be collecting for charity but in fact are not.

This is how you know a genuine bag:

All Enable Ireland bags carry a registered charity number and our contact details. As well as this, a good item to look out for is the Irish Charity Shops Association logo – this tells you that the charity is registered and reputable. For more information on the ICSA, visit their website on www.icsa.ie.

We still really need the support of the public to continue our work. www.enableireland.ie

Hope this helps!

Aghna

Hi all,

Unfortunately what was once an effective way of removing the hassle from donating unwanted good to genuine charities is being spoilt by illegitimate groups who claim to be collecting for charity but in fact are not.

This is how you know a genuine bag:

All Enable Ireland bags carry a registered charity number and our contact details. As well as this, a good item to look out for is the Irish Charity Shops Association logo – this tells you that the charity is registered and reputable. For more information on the ICSA, visit their website on www.icsa.ie.

We still really need the support of the public to continue our work. www.enableireland.ie

Hope this helps!

Aghna
    Hi Aghna

Thanks for posting. Out of interest, have you lobbied the government about this issue? Its plainly affecting the real charities out there but yet nobody seems to want to do anything about it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Enable Ireland

Hi Sizzler,

Well, theft is illegal and we have recieved a lot of support from the Gardai on this. Collecting waste without a permit is illegal too so there is legislation to protect us to an extent.

I feel that it is awareness among the pubic that we really need to concentrate on. We've been making efforts to highlight this for years. (FYI - there should be an article about this in The Sunday World this week).

We're finding that increasingly, and thanks to coverage in the media like the Buyer Beware programme last year, that donors are very conscious of making sure that their donations are going to the charity of their choice.

We put a little thank you card in the door when we make a collection and our donors really appreciate them. Our drivers are generally known in the areas they collect in and some householders arrange with them to call in for the collection instead of leaving it on the door step which also puts donors minds at ease.

It's really about us being pro-active about educating our donors and building relationships with them. The ICSA do a lot of work in this regard too. We also have a responsibility to each donor that we have to make sure that we make the most out of their donations, which we take very seriously.

Of course, the easiest way to make sure that your donation gets to Enable Ireland is to srop it directly into the shop but the house collections and textile banks are still very valuable to us.

Sorry for going on!

Aghna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hi Aghna

Thanks for posting. Out of interest, have you lobbied the government about this issue? Its plainly affecting the real charities out there but yet nobody seems to want to do anything about it ?

you see the problem is that the organisers are very careful not to use the word charity - in which case they would be committing an offense. They word the leaflets very ambiguously to make it sound like a charity. "we distribute clothes" = we sell clothes "help the community financially" = themselves, by selling the clothes "people who otherwise wouldn't get these clothes" - because they'd be in your house. They also print the company number, obviously in the hope that you'll think it's a reg. charity number, and sometimes abbreviate it to c. number - but they never actually claim it's a charity number.

I've had correspondence with Trevor Sargent and John Gormly about this, and JG made some vague noises about an opt-out list, but we need a system whereby it would be illegal to deliver non-solicited mail to a mailbox that had, say, a sticker on it, or to require companies to require a license (which should not cost much) to deliver unsolicited mail.
    We'll wait and see :rolleyes:

remember the usual warnings - if you're tempted to take the mickey by leaving dodgy stuff for them - they'll be picking that stuff up, most likely, when they are standing in front of your (probably) empty house :)

I got one with a bag the other day, it says "collection is authorised by a collection permit issued by your local council" on it, along with a mobile number and some sort of registered number. No mention of the word "charity" on it :rolleyes:

Funny enough, had one delivered during the night. Not sure what time it was but was before 6 this morning anyway. Never took notice what hours they came at before this thread :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Sock Monster

Got one through the door yesterday – Lucky Day Collection Ltd, they wanted amongst other things Fragrance Sets ?

Just to let people that live in Balbriggan know that:
    • St. Vincent de Paul Shop on Drogheda street opens until 5.30pm Monday to satuday,
    and Cathy’s
    • ADHD shop opens till 4pm Monday to Saturday
    So if like me you have useable, saleable clutter (i.e. only donate what you would be prepared to buy yourself) give them to your local charity shops not a bunch of cowboys on the make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Sock Monster

Also, perhaps Cathy you can confirm this.

As November /December is the time for parents clearing out toys. Can people bring saleable toys to your shop. My brother has stuff that his child has grown out of and nothing he has is junk.

It’s just that I was listening Ryan Tubaridy radio show during the week and he had a caller who said that her local charity shop wouldn’t take her old toys.

Is there some ruling over this and does your shop take old toys?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have had stuff put in my door between 2am and 4am. Usually a northern reg van is what I see picking up bags during the day

• Advertisement

shop is open till 5 mon-fri to cover for the xmas period.Toys in good nic are very welcome.I know somtimes we get headless barbies etc.Which is sad as we have to pay to get rid of peoples rubbish.Once we got....used curry containers!!!
    anyway, its great when we get donations as every little helps.
    Look out for info on whats being done with the funding. Press release Very soon,
    thanks all , from the bottom of my heart , for all your help wth this,
    cathy

Advertisement