Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing respect for football

• 25-11-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭

Over the last 18 to 24months I've gradually been losing respect for a sport I once loved. Diving, play acting, maliciousness, time wasting, cheating has, in my mind at least, become more prevalent in the games I've been watching from the EPL. I've often said to myself, "how do these players look their families in the eye"??? When was the last time in snooker or say golf that someone play acted to get an advantage whilst in competition??? You don't see golfers or snooker players moving balls while the refs back is turned!!! Yet football is treated differently for some reason? The governing body, Fifa also refuse to implement video evidence at games where tv cameras are present i.e. those games that are worthy of video evidence. The whole Henry hand-ball debacle has pushed me over the edge where I'm now laughing at the ridiculousness of a governing body and the sport in general.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Football is supposed to be a man's game but I think its far from it.

Some of its main superstars are far from men in every sense of the word.

In what other sport would you see a 6 ft odd man rolling around on the ground like he's been shot between the two eyes and then 2 mins later he's running around like the athlete you expected him to be?

In what other sport do players crowd around the officials spouting expletives in open view of everyone watching and harassing him to dismiss an opposing player from the pitch?

In what other sport does the governing body pride itself for championing fair play at every opportunity but when something happens that is not in the interest of fairness turn a blind eye?

Football needs to take a long hard look at itself but it won't.

It still won't stop me watching it but I feel your pain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Over the last 18 to 24months I've gradually been losing respect for a sport I once loved. Diving, play acting, maliciousness, time wasting, cheating has, in my mind at least, become more prevalent in the games I've been watching from the EPL.

Well in fairness its something that has been there since the early premiership days. I think it has got worse since then but its been in the game a lot longer than 2 years!

and some of the above you mentioned are part of other sports, say rugby for example. You get time wasting there (say taking time to form scrums/slowly getting to a lineout). Time wasting is one which I think you need to define by it. And maliciousness - again in rugby its evident.
    I've often said to myself, "how do these players look their families in the eye"???

I would guess that for a lot of players a massive pay packet would make it pretty easy.
    The governing body, Fifa also refuse to implement video evidence at games where tv cameras are present i.e. those games that are worthy of video evidence.

Eventually they will have to do it and I just hope its sooner rather than later. If the current people in charge dont want it then we'll probably just have to wait till they leave
    The whole Henry hand-ball debacle has pushed me over the edge where I'm now laughing at the ridiculousness of a governing body and the sport in general.

I imagine this is the main reason for you posting the thread. Its still sore and could be for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

this must be the 100th thread prompted by the Henry handball.

people go on & on & on about their moral outrage, its embarrasing. just admit your pissed off cause Ireland are out & don't pretend its the principle of the thing that annoys ya.

where were all the threads when Scharner controlled the ball with his hand at the weenend & scored a goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Over the last 18 to 24months I've gradually been losing respect for a sport I once loved. Diving, play acting, maliciousness, time wasting, cheating has, in my mind at least, become more prevalent in the games I've been watching from the EPL. I've often said to myself, "how do these players look their families in the eye"??? When was the last time in snooker or say golf that someone play acted to get an advantage whilst in competition??? You don't see golfers or snooker players moving balls while the refs back is turned!!! Yet football is treated differently for some reason? The governing body, Fifa also refuse to implement video evidence at games where tv cameras are present i.e. those games that are worthy of video evidence. The whole Henry hand-ball debacle has pushed me over the edge where I'm now laughing at the ridiculousness of a governing body and the sport in general.

Volunteer to coach one of your local youth teams. You'll soon love the sport again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Mr Alan wrote: »
    this must be the 100th thread prompted by the Henry handball.

people go on & on & on about their moral outrage, its embarrasing. just admit your pissed off cause Ireland are out & don't pretend its the principle of the thing that annoys ya.

where were all the threads when Scharner controlled the ball with his hand at the weenend & scored a goal?

Eh, sorry, you're wrong. I said it was the Henry debacle that has pushed me over the edge.
    This is not another Henry hand-ball thread.
    It's about losing respect for a game I love.
    So, please respect me.

• Advertisement

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Well in fairness its something that has been there since the early premiership days. I think it has got worse since then but its been in the game a lot longer than 2 years!

>>> Agreed, but this is about my feelings on the game and my time frame.

and some of the above you mentioned are part of other sports, say rugby for example. You get time wasting there (say taking time to form scrums/slowly getting to a lineout). Time wasting is one which I think you need to define by it. And maliciousness - again in rugby its evident.

>>> Maybe - doesn't make it right though or sportsman like

I would guess that for a lot of players a massive pay packet would make it pretty easy.

>>>> Sad excuse and again probably why cheating has become more prevalent is because there is more at stake

Eventually they will have to do it and I just hope its sooner rather than later. If the current people in charge dont want it then we'll probably just have to wait till they leave

>>> I agree but I'll have lost all respect by then

I imagine this is the main reason for you posting the thread. Its still sore and could be for a while

>>> As I said, it was the Henry debacle that pushed me over the edge. I'm not sore about anything.

>>> As I said, it was the Henry debacle that pushed me over the edge. I'm not sore about anything.

Guess Ill take your word for that. But as said, im sure you are not massively outraged by say Scharners handball at the weekend say. Its just we tend to look at things that affect us rather than be actually morally outraged by whats going on.

I also hate to see it and want something done about it but its been known as a problem for a while and it seems as though nothing will be done apart from the ridiculous treatment Eduardo got.

>>> Agreed, but this is about my feelings on the game and my time frame.

Yeah and thats fair enough. If your time frame means you followed football from that time then you will have basically grown up with it. What sickens me most is when I played as a kid (10 years or so ago now) there was no diving at all. Watching my cousin playing in an under 14 academy team and I saw 2 players dive. I wanted to kick them in the face. It was disgusting to see and is creeping in at younger levels. BUT, if they dont dive then it will lead to others gaining an advantage over them (not the correct viewpoint but one which is held).

>>> Maybe - doesn't make it right though or sportsman like

Course not. It will just get more publicity in football though.

>>>> Sad excuse and again probably why cheating has become more prevalent is because there is more at stake

Not saying that I agree with it but its the mindset of some players.

>>> I agree but I'll have lost all respect by then

Sad to see but the game ill keep growing and FIFA wont care if a few fans leave as long as the money keeps rolling in

@ p_larkin99

I'm old enough to remember when acting wasn't part of the game. Acting is not part of sport. It needs to be stamped out or the game will be ruined.
    If video refereeing was introduced players might think twice about diving etc

@ p_larkin99

I'm old enough to remember when acting wasn't part of the game. Acting is not part of sport. It needs to be stamped out or the game will be ruined.
    If video refereeing was introduced players might think twice about diving etc

I completely 100% agree it needs to be stamped out. What are the solutions then do ya reckon? Few mates were discussing this in a pub last night and its really hard to find a solution to. How exactly would the video ref work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

As has been said before.......manager gets 3 challenges.......if he challanges a decision and is right he keeps his challenge.

As for diving/simulation, subsequent 3 match bans for those caught by means of post match video analysis.

Its not perfect but its a reasonable way to start using video technology and would go a long way to rid the game of so many of its current problems imo.

• Advertisement

yom 1 wrote: »
    As has been said before.......manager gets 3 challenges.......if he challanges a decision and is right he keeps his challenge.

This brings about so many questions.

At what point are they allowed to challenge? How long after an incident can they have? how is the game restarted?

Its not as clear cut as is being made out.

As for diving/simulation, subsequent 3 match bans for those caught by means of post match video analysis.

Is it still just a yellow card for those caught during the match - do they get any further ban or because the ref caught them do they get away with it. Not every diving incident will lead to a penalty or goal - does that affect the punishment given?
    Its not perfect but its a reasonable way to start using video technology and would go a long way to rid the game of so many of its current problems imo.

I agree tech needs to be used but as I said before a lot needs to be discussed and sorted before it can even be close to being brought in imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Over the last 18 to 24months I've gradually been losing respect for a sport I once loved. Diving, play acting, maliciousness, time wasting, cheating has, in my mind at least, become more prevalent in the games I've been watching from the EPL.

Past 24 months?

Try the past 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

This brings about so many questions...........Its not as clear cut as is being made out.

I'd agree with the points you made, it will certainly have grey areas that will need to be looked at closely before any such system would be implemented. But its a system I think could work.

Was merely just throwing the idea out there in its most basic form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

It boggles the mind as to why FIFA don't bother copying the rugby rules as far as referees using technology to make better decisions.

I don't see how it could possibly impact the game in a negative way. It just seems like the sport is making too much money the way it is now, and the aul fella's at the top couldn't really be arsed trying to adapt to modern ways of thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Lost my respect a long time ago to be fair. The beautiful game is now the money game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Is it still just a yellow card for those caught during the match - do they get any further ban or because the ref caught them do they get away with it. Not every diving incident will lead to a penalty or goal - does that affect the punishment given?

Players don't get caught near enough for diving and the one yellow card punishment is not really a deterrent either. It was just a half @rsed attempt by the governing bodies to stamp it out which clearly hasn't worked.

Diving should be given a much stiffer penalty or no one is ever going to take any notice. Its a blatent attempt to break the rules just like a professional foul or deliberate handball which currently you'd get sent off for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I have to say it's kinda hilarious reading a post of moral outrage from someone called "c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage" ;)

I do agree with you though, it is a bit depressing that players don't respect the rules of the game and will actively seek to cheat whenever hey can get away with it. As you said, for other sports the rules are sacrosanct and going against them in a competitive environment is, well, unfair. It just seems like this spirit is no longer there in football (was it ever)? Sure, some people are grand, but as a sport in general, cheating should be intolerable but instead has become accepted as part of the game.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I have to say it's kinda hilarious reading a post of moral outrage from someone called "c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage" ;)

You've got to love Alan Partridge :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Meh, soccer passes the winter for me until the real sport starts again in the Summer. Lost its soul when it made money its God. When a typical game has more examples of cheating, rule breaking and acts of downright cowardice than moments of admirable skill you know you're on a slippery road. And when your sport has men like Blatter and Platini in charge, you know its gone too far down that road to ever recover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Professional football has been a joke in terms of sporting behaviour for years now.
    You can see it transfer into the amateur game too.
    I dont know how many games I've played where I've seen grown men throwing themselves on the ground looking for free kicks or starting fights with their opponents over stupid little things.
    There's no precident for respect in the game any more and so you see that materialise in dishonesty and general hoodwinking of opponents at lower levels of the sport.
    I love watching football, but playing is the main thing for me and to be honest both are beginning to get a bit tedious. All most people want is to get on with the game in a fair manner, unfortunately we have to put up with a BS from a small number of people who end up dragging the game down to their low moral standards.
    FIFA are a joke of a governing body and it's high time they cleaned up the sport properly, al though I feel a clean up of FIFA is required before that can happen, currently their just another "me too" organisation looking out more for their own best interests rather than those of the sport. With a crowd like them in charge it's no wonder the sport is in the state it's in.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

nullzero wrote: »
    I dont know how many games I've played where I've seen grown men throwing themselves on the ground looking for free kicks
    I remember a guy diving after I challenged him in PE before* :rolleyes: It really is the sort of thing that affects the younger generation, as kids look up to them for footballing inspiration.

*He didn't get away with it, nobody fooled Mr. McCafferty :D

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement