Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Phoneline availability in Leixlip

• 25-11-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi - I have been waiting for Phone, TV and Broadband package for UPC to become available in Leixlip. Currentlly I can just avail of TV and broadband. Does anyone know why phone is not available in Leixlip, when it is available in all surrounding areas (ie Celbridge, Lucan and Maynooth. Anyone already had a similar query to UPC answered?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The phone service is VOIP, running over the Internet connection, so I can't think of any reason why broadband is available but phone is not. Maybe it's just a mistake on t he website. Have you tried ringing and ordering the all in one package, and see what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sincity1

called them again today and they say it is availble in some parts of Leixlip but not in my estate - sounds a bit weird. Also they cant provide any timeline on when it will be available. Pah!.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

Sincity1 wrote: »
    called them again today and they say it is availble in some parts of Leixlip but not in my estate - sounds a bit weird. Also they cant provide any timeline on when it will be available. Pah!.....

Any chance you could say what estate or area your in? I'm hoping its available in Dun Carraig:)
    Also how is the quality of the broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sincity1

am in Louisa Valley, so it is possible its available up the Hill. Haven't moved to Broadband yet as it wasnt really worth the hassle in terms of cost if I cant bundle telly, broadband and phone together - broadband on its own working out at almost the same as eircom. Would give them a ring to check if they have it for you estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

am in Louisa Valley, so it is possible its available up the Hill. Haven't moved to Broadband yet as it wasnt really worth the hassle in terms of cost if I cant bundle telly, broadband and phone together - broadband on its own working out at almost the same as eircom. Would give them a ring to check if they have it for you estate.

Will do. Thanks for the response

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

Folks
    I'm in Leixlip as well (Glen Easton) and looking at the UPC bundle at the mo'. Just wondering what others have experienced - d/l speeds, overall quality of service, etc.
    I've moved from BT to Vodafone and it has been a disaster - awful speeds, customer service, etc... - so for me if I can get a better package, I'm gone in a flash.
    The other thing is - is there a way to (ahem!) "rewire" the phone handsets, seeing as you generally only get a single new one, and your existing phone points become redundant ?
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Hi. I'm in the estate over the road, and I find the BB excellent (30Mb). I don't use the phone because it only recently became available in Leixlip. Instead I use BlueFace for my phone service (ported my number from BT) and that works perfect.

Most of the time, I get close to the speeds I am paying for and I can only recall two occasions when the service was unavailable in about 2 years (both were accidental cable cuts somewhere on their network).

As with UPC, your existing phone ports will become redundant. Not a big deal though as DECT phones are so widely used now. I think UPC also give you a free wireless handset.

Downside is that the first phone will have to be near where they put your broadband router.

Additional handsets are €25 each...

http://www.upc.ie/phone/handsets/

JDxtra wrote: »
    Hi. I'm in the estate over the road, and I find the BB excellent (30Mb). I don't use the phone because it only recently became available in Leixlip. Instead I use BlueFace for my phone service (ported my number from BT) and that works perfect.

Most of the time, I get close to the speeds I am paying for and I can only recall two occasions when the service was unavailable in about 2 years (both were accidental cable cuts somewhere on their network).

As with UPC, your existing phone ports will become redundant. Not a big deal though as DECT phones are so widely used now. I think UPC also give you a free wireless handset.

Downside is that the first phone will have to be near where they put your broadband router.

Thanks for the quick reply mate..
    I was thinking of Blueface alright - need to do a little more research on that but one of the lads at work swears by it too. Thing is though - can you "keep" a landline number if you move to Blueface ?
    On the phone sets themselves, allegedly it's possible to re-wire and enable your existing house phones; I think it involves hardwiring a connection fron the new UPC box to the point where your comes cable comes into the house (in the wee white box outside). At least that's what a UPC Installation Engineer unofficially told a neighbour of mine....course, he wouldn't do it :)
    I saw the €25 price tag on the phone - that's why I was checking about the DIY option instead..
    Ta !

Thing is though - can you "keep" a landline number if you move to Blueface ?

Yes. I am still using the same Eircom 01 number I had before. The migration worked out really well, BlueFace handled everything - I did not even need to speak to BT/Eircom.

The UPC phone option is much easier though, but being a bit of a tech I did not mind setting up BlueFace. Also if I move I just pick up my ATA (a small box that plugs into your router and handset) - no need to bother any provider ever again. Plus I can use my home phone number via my mobile over wifi while out and about, or even abroad. But that just freaks people out... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I have UPC broadband 15 Mb, but they said the line was not capable of voice, so I use Blueface and have never had a problem. Also my Nokia N95 mobile connects via SIP, so just have the once phone for both mobile and blueface, which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭allybabe84

I just started renting in Woodside, Leixlip, and ordered UPC's digital tv and 15mb broadband, unfortunately I got an email then stating the broadband's not available, even though the website gave me a green tick for broadband for my address :mad:! Rang them up and they said it could be another year before it's ready.... very annoyed as I'm only renting for a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Martin 2

I live in Leixlip, have a UPC TV connection and have been waiting for their broadband service for nearly 2 years; it's available in some neighbouring estates to mine.
    I first phoned their customer query number almost 2 years ago and was told that it wasn't in my estate and that they'd ring me when it is; I phoned again this week and was given the same unsatisfactory answer.
    So anybody managed to get a more definitive answer, a timetable, or even seen anything relevant in the media re UPC broadband (cable) rollout in north Kildare or elsewhere?

Well folks
    UPC Sales peeps have been doing the rounds in Leixlip in the past week. I had one guy at the door insisting it's the best thing since sliced bread, and that the package was such a tremendous deal, it's the reason he left Sky (also as a door-to-door salesman).
    I know a guy on the road behind me has the TV/phone/broadband bundle, but recently he had an issue with the broadband service, and the customer service from UPC was just cack.
    I'm thinking of switching the whole lot to them, or even going with just TV and broadband, and possibly BlueFace for the phone service : JDXtra (if you're around) - are ALL calls free ? And which handsets do you need to buy ?

Turns out if you have an alarm company monitoring your alarm over the phone line, you can't use BlueFace....so scratch that idea....

Advertisement