Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does refund include postage cost?

Options
  • 25-11-2009 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about this as i recently got refunded by a company but they subtracted the cost of postage for the item in question from my refund.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sounds normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Depends on the reason for return I think. If due to a fault, then look at question 8 here and see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Just a quick question folks.

A friend in work bought something from Komplett, the device was not working so he contacted them and they told him to send it back at his ''own risk and own expense''

Surely this cant be right, its not his fault it the device is faulty. Do they not have to send a courier or refund him for sending the package?

(I know there is a Komplett board, but wanted an unbiased answer)

Tha.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's common. Until it's been decided that the fault is actually with the product this is standard procedure.
    Depending on company he will later be reimbursed, don't know about Komplett.

Makes sense, if it not a fault with the product (for instance he forgot to connect the battery inside or similar) who reimburses the company for having it shipped to them and then back to customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

"postage will not be refunded" etc etc.
    That's quite usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Magnus wrote: »
    It's common. Until it's been decided that the fault is actually with the product this is standard procedure.

Thanks, And if it turns out to be faulty do they have to reimburse the customer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

k99_64 wrote: »
    Just wondering about this as i recently got refunded by a company but they subtracted the cost of postage for the item in question from my refund.

They subtracted the cost you paid for getting it delivered in the first place? If it was a refund for a faulty item, then they should not have done that. They should also refund you the cost of returning the item, if it was faulty.

Dancor wrote: »
    Thanks, And if it turns out to be faulty do they have to reimburse the customer?

Seemingly so.
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/
    Under the Distance Selling Regulations 2001, where a good is faulty the consumer should not be at a loss for the costs of returning the faulty good to the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

jor el wrote: »
    Seemingly so.
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/
    Under the Distance Selling Regulations 2001, where a good is faulty the consumer should not be at a loss for the costs of returning the faulty good to the company.

It's worth noting that the Distance Selling Regulations don't apply to business to business transactions. If your purchase was for your business, then the regulations do not apply.

"consumer means a natural person who, as regards a distance contract, is acting for purposes which are outside that person's trade, business or profession;"

This is something that is often forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

k99_64 wrote: »

If you were returning a faulty item, then they should not have done this.

Merged with similar thread.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

dudara wrote: »
    If you were returning a faulty item, then they should not have done this.

Merged with similar thread.

dudara

Thank you, thats what happened. :)

It's worth noting that the Distance Selling Regulations don't apply to business to business transactions. If your purchase was for your business, then the regulations do not apply.

No consumer protection applies to a business.

Advertisement