Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Travel to cease trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Yep real black day on the jobs front, 2 very local employers gone and plenty of people have just lost there jobs, really puts yesterday in perspective imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Bad news all round, one month to Christmas. Have Bro-in-law in another main dealer in Dublin, reckons there's more to come. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

My mam and dad have a holiday booked to go out with them on teh 5th of December so not good news at all. They paid by Credit Card so I am sure they will get a full refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Davexirl wrote: »
    My mam and dad have a holiday booked to go out with them on teh 5th of December so not good news at all. They paid by Credit Card so I am sure they will get a full refund.

"A helpline has been established at Budget Travel to deal with queries from customers concerned about their bookings. The number for the helpline is 01 6613122."

In fariness to them, it seems they are trying to sort everyone out before they turn off the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Terrible to see so many people lose their jobs but I think, to a certain extent, the advent of internet bookings and people making their own arrangements, made this innevitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

spadder wrote: »
    "A helpline has been established at Budget Travel to deal with queries from customers concerned about their bookings. The number for the helpline is 01 6613122."

In fariness to them, it seems they are trying to sort everyone out before they turn off the lights.

Cheers

My mam tried ringing that number already and a message saying office now closed. Lots of calls probably going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Its so sad - The loss of jobs, the loss of another homegrown company - In Bray alone we lost Falcon, Travelcare & now Budget. Its so sad as all these girls were friends in all the different travel agencies - all went through college together & are all now redundant. Then EP Mooney... Wheres it all going to end! Why is no one bailing the likes of these companies out? Each job lost is another cost to the state or have they yet to realise this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭aassddff

Should be OK for the refund. Terrible news for the people who work there and it does put yesterday's strike in prospective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

maybe they should all go on strike and demand no paycuts

oh wait wrong thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

jenzz wrote: »
    Its so sad - The loss of jobs, the loss of another homegrown company - In Bray alone we lost Falcon, Travelcare & now Budget. Its so sad as all these girls were friends in all the different travel agencies - all went through college together & are all now redundant. Then EP Mooney... Wheres it all going to end! Why is no one bailing the likes of these companies out? Each job lost is another cost to the state or have they yet to realise this ?

Sorry but why would you want to bail out a travel agency when its a dying industry? the writing has been on the walls for years.. the online booking and people doing it themselves has just been growing and growing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

jon1981 wrote: »
    Sorry but why would you want to bail out a travel agency when its a dying industry? the writing has been on the walls for years.. the online booking and people doing it themselves has just been growing and growing

I want to bail out JOBS! More people on the dole, more cost to the state, more people applying for the same job, longer it takes to find a job

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    maybe they should all go on strike and demand no paycuts

oh wait wrong thread :p

It's all a lie. Sure everyone knows that 75% of the private sector have been unaffected by the recession.

jenzz wrote: »
    I want to bail out JOBS! More people on the dole, more cost to the state, more people applying for the same job, longer it takes to find a job

yes but why bail out industries that are dying due to natural causes?!

i do agree they (government) need to create jobs but this needs to be done by creating a sustainable industry...not shelf life industries like motor, travel and construction!

people need to face reality that certain industries are just gone and cannot be revived!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

yes but why bail out industries that are dying due to natural causes?!

i do agree they (government) need to create jobs but this needs to be done by creating a sustainable industry...not shelf life industries like motor, travel and construction!

people need to face reality that certain industries are just gone and cannot be revived!

yes lets not innovate in these industries, god knows they were only here during the boom times.
    lets just sit here, never build another thing, upgrade/service another car or go on holiday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Id say there will be alot more businesses closing after the budget and christmas! there are going to be so many unemployed here I can see mass emigration! Whats going to get us out of this?! Where is the light at the end of the tunnel?!

yes lets not innovate in these industries, god knows they were only here during the boom times.
    lets just sit here, never build another thing, upgrade/service another car or go on holiday :rolleyes:

i never said build another thing... lets face it construction as we knew it will never get back to way it was... i agree hospitals, energy plants need to be built...propose to me how you would bail out the travel industry?

.propose to me how you would bail out the travel industry?

pay everyone in the state to be flown to canaries

4.3 million * 100 euro flight = 430 million euro

thats a whooping 1/125th the price of a NAMA

:D

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    pay everyone in the state to be flown to canaries

4.3 million * 100 euro flight = 430 million euro

thats a whooping 1/125th the price of a NAMA

:D

sure let the PS strike for another 4.5 days you have that same amount in the bag ;)

sure let the PS strike for another 4.5 days you have that same amount in the bag ;)

Lanzarote here we come :o

i never said build another thing... lets face it construction as we knew it will never get back to way it was... i agree hospitals, energy plants need to be built...propose to me how you would bail out the travel industry?

im not suggesting any industry be bailed out but took issue with your sweeping statement that some industries are "gone and cannot be revived!"

if travel companies in ireland got rid of their overheads from renting office space and put the money into researching cheaper options, bargaining agressively with travel providers instead of relying on last years prices for example (possibly with people in call centres which no doubt they already have i guess) building better websites. god knows it doesnt bother me if a travel brochure comes in the post rather than someone being paid to hand it to me over a counter.

only last week i booked a skiing holiday and it was 1 person cheaper to book online with a (albeit uk based) travel agent than in a local agent. I prob could've gotten it even cheaper booking myself as i usually do but this travel agent had the resort we wanted exclusively (another way of cutting down on DIY bookings helping their industry)

• Advertisement

im not suggesting any industry be bailed out but took issue with your sweeping statement that some industries are "gone and cannot be revived!"

if travel companies in ireland got rid of their overheads from renting office space and put the money into researching cheaper options, bargaining agressively with travel providers instead of relying on last years prices for example (possibly with people in call centres which no doubt they already have i guess) building better websites. god knows it doesnt bother me if a travel brochure comes in the post rather than someone being paid to hand it to me over a counter.

only last week i booked a skiing holiday and it was 1 person cheaper to book online with a (albeit uk based) travel agent than in a local agent. I prob could've gotten it even cheaper booking myself as i usually do but this travel agent had the resort we wanted exclusively (another way of cutting down on DIY bookings helping their industry)

but i still don't see how this really helps the industry...its been moving towards web based offerings for years... what you have said there has not supported the argument for requiring a physical presence in Ireland.

I dont think a few lines from me on a thread are going to give any real pointers to helping the travel industry. it so wide based apart from an agent who is basically organising a trip for you - transport, accommodation, food, leisure activities.
    People are always going to cut out the middle man when times get harder.

I personally dont believe a travel agent needs a physical presence so if we get back to the Budget travel closing, it seems obvious to me that they didnt make the changes when needed to save people's jobs by changing how they did their work

Again my original gripe is that its a big jump to lump in construction and motor industries as dead and buried

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Speedy2009

try reading whats in the irish times as to why the company ACTUALLY closed - they had already cut back on most of their shops, just leaving the bare minimum around the country and online sales made up most of their business, so you cant say that its the travel industry with the problem, companies have changed to meet market efficencies and demands.
    What is really affecting the company is the fact that they cannot guarantee a licence to operate next year(with this they could continue trading and restructure further), intercompany loans being called in, decrease in sales further than expected and having an Icelandic parent company!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They should have been innovating themselves. Their business model is obsolete and it's evolve or die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Sad to hear this. I'd say there is a hell of a lot of bad news coming down the tracks for the retail industry after Xmas.

this has more to do with information revolution than recession

the writing on the wall was there for years

travel agents are nothing more than information brokers, with advent of internet and better information gathering tools, theres less need for them

same will happen to other information broker jobs btw

on bright side i got into IT and networks so there be always need for someone to engineer things :D

its kinda like the story of what happens when robots replace people in manufacturing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

There is still a market for travel agents online or high street, sometimes it's just handy to book a package, arrive, get on a coach and be delivered to your hotel, no messing around with car hire firms, and hotel check-in decent bagage allowance and usually good service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I disagree, I think people still do use travel agents, they just don't use the shops anymore and book on line. Obviously they aren't using them enough though.

This could mean a massive reduction in choice for flights out of Dublin, for example, the only direct flights to Sharm are on charter flights. If no one is going with budget, does that mean Falcon will also cut that holiday from irish brochures, meaning that cheap holidays to Egypt are no longer available?

Shame about EP Mooney as well, with the number of car dealers closed lately, the choice available when buying a car is greatly reduced. this can only be bad news for consumers.

spadder wrote: »
    There is still a market for travel agents online or high street, sometimes it's just handy to book a package, arrive, get on a coach and be delivered to your hotel, no messing around with car hire firms, and hotel check-in decent bagage allowance and usually good service.

all of that can be replaced by good databases, nice interface and algorithms

already many sites just do that

and save you money by comparing alot of combinations

this is what computers excel at

they are middlemen in the chain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I've never bought a package holiday or anything like it.

Book the hotel online and get the flights from Ryanair. Look into things to do myself and with friends an go.

Cheap and easy. I think this was inevitable but do feel sorry so many are out of jobs. I'm sure they'll get work elsewhere eventually though if things ever pick up :(

Advertisement