Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Travel to cease trading

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Everyone is talking about business models and IT etc.
    None of that is new.

The change here is money.
    Many people have none and those who have, are terrified to spend it.

We are going to see a lot more of this in the next 12 months unfortunately.

p.s. I used budget travel in 2008 and I had planned to use them this year but the GF lost her job, I cannot see myself taking a holiday for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Everyone is talking about business models and IT etc.
    None of that is new.

The change here is money.
    Many people have none and those who have, are terrified to spend it.

We are going to see a lot more of this in the next 12 months unfortunately.

p.s. I used budget travel in 2008 and I had planned to use them this year but the GF lost her job, I cannot see myself taking a holiday for a while

I think i only went on one holiday with them

the prices were relativley cheap

but what i did notice is the prices didn't seem to drop much during the problems

they didn't seem to drive any deals like bring the kids for free etc

like a lot of buisness's that have gone out of buisness one would have to question are they really doing enough to drive in the buisness?

i dont think so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    this has more to do with information revolution than recession

the writing on the wall was there for years

travel agents are nothing more than information brokers, with advent of internet and better information gathering tools, theres less need for them

same will happen to other information broker jobs btw

on bright side i got into IT and networks so there be always need for someone to engineer things :D

its kinda like the story of what happens when robots replace people in manufacturing

Yeah remotely from Beijing or Bangalore in many cases! Sort of job that requires a presence in this country is best to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

ah well, at least there won't be a bunch of undignified scroungers camping outside their Baggot St. branch over xmas for a free holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah remotely from Beijing or Bangalore in many cases! Sort of job that requires a presence in this country is best to have.

Generally only tech support gets outsourced from what I can see from working in IT.

The only places that outsource development work are in trouble or usually bring it back 5 years later when they realise what they've done. You can't do requirements gathering from a foreign country and unless you have everything setup perfect, requirements will get lost in translation or programmers will give their interpretation of requirements especially if management/clients are in one country and the developers another.

Networking is in house so can't be outsourced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

outsourcing is a problem of course but mostly for the repetitive (boring) lower paid tasks (which would eventually be replaced by computers themselves)

thats the reality in ICT sector, constant deflation! every year computers & networks get faster and cheaper, new technologies emerge

its a real wild west were your constantly need to learn to stay in the game

i personally have to compete with millions of people from China and India every single day to earn a cent

do people in the public sector or some private sector (soon to be extinct) jobs face this competition?

nope

its a tough world out there and it sure as hell aint fair, but you either go with the flow or sink trying to moan about it

Advertisement