Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Credit Issue

Options
  • 25-11-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few issues in work I'd like to discuss...

I have been working there as a lounge boy for around 5-6 months, as I understand after 2 months they are legally obliged to give me a contract, I brought this up with my manager and he more or less said no one but himself really had one and he'd look into it but it seemed more like he was ignoring the issue.

Secondly I am on emergency tax, this is my first real job and I am losing quite a bit of money to this, I talked to my ma about this and she said I had to get my tax credits sorted and she would do it for me. Thing is, she worked under my name 2 years ago when I was younger as a cleaner for a year or more, as a dodgey tax evasion attempt I would guess.

She didn't directly tell me this, but she told my girlfriend stupidly, and told her not to tell me. Obviously she told me and now I am worried how this would effect any future employment if it was brought up.

Generally I'm just confused and I'm not sure what to do. I understand this is just a lounge boy job, but I don't like they idea of being sacked suddenly, and since I do not have a contract I am unsure how this would effect my rights. Any advice on this matter would be appricated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I have a few issues in work I'd like to discuss...

I have been working there as a lounge boy for around 5-6 months, as I understand after 2 months they are legally obliged to give me a contract, I brought this up with my manager and he more or less said no one but himself really had one and he'd look into it but it seemed more like he was ignoring the issue.

Secondly I am on emergency tax, this is my first real job and I am losing quite a bit of money to this, I talked to my ma about this and she said I had to get my tax credits sorted and she would do it for me. Thing is, she worked under my name 2 years ago when I was younger as a cleaner for a year or more, as a dodgey tax evasion attempt I would guess.

She didn't directly tell me this, but she told my girlfriend stupidly, and told her not to tell me. Obviously she told me and now I am worried how this would effect any future employment if it was brought up.

Generally I'm just confused and I'm not sure what to do. I understand this is just a lounge boy job, but I don't like they idea of being sacked suddenly, and since I do not have a contract I am unsure how this would effect my rights. Any advice on this matter would be appricated.
    ring the tax office, give them your PPS no and ask for tax credit cert to be sent out.
    Are you being paid legally by the pub - are you sure? if so and you get a payslip showing your deductions, PPS no, PRSI etc, then it is stupid that you are still paying emergency tax!
    Get the employer PAYE no from them - the accounts/payroll person should have this. Ring tax office with this number and your PPS no. They can then immediately assign the correct credits to you and take you off emergency tax.
    Two things - One, grow up and sort this out yourself - why were you waiting for 'your ma' to do it for you? you are old enough to work, you are old enough to ring the tax office!
    Second, if your 'ma' worked under your name, this shouldn't cause you any further problems as presumably she paid tax under your name, and PRSI. A very dodgy thing she did, but regardless you now need to get into the system. If you are working and paying tax anyway, and no issues have arisen then I can't see how any problems will occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ring the tax office, give them your PPS no and ask for tax credit cert to be sent out.
    Are you being paid legally by the pub - are you sure? if so and you get a payslip showing your deductions, PPS no, PRSI etc, then it is stupid that you are still paying emergency tax!
    Get the employer PAYE no from them - the accounts/payroll person should have this. Ring tax office with this number and your PPS no. They can then immediately assign the correct credits to you and take you off emergency tax.
    Two things - One, grow up and sort this out yourself - why were you waiting for 'your ma' to do it for you? you are old enough to work, you are old enough to ring the tax office!
    Second, if your 'ma' worked under your name, this shouldn't cause you any further problems as presumably she paid tax under your name, and PRSI. A very dodgy thing she did, but regardless you now need to get into the system. If you are working and paying tax anyway, and no issues have arisen then I can't see how any problems will occur.

Well mainly because I know very little about being taxed or how the system works, as I said this is my first job. I do indeed get a payslip with all my information on it also.

The main reason I have to wait for my "ma" to sort this is out, is because her former employer has to give me certain information, and so I have to wait for her to sort that part out. As far as I've been told anyway.

FYI I didn't realise there was anything wrong with the term "ma". If you have grown up calling your ma, mother, mom, mam, mammy, thats perfectly fine, there is no reason for anyone to point it out for any reason. Please do not tell me to grow up, as I find it offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Re the contract: it doesn't have to be written down for you to have a contract. You just need proof, like a payslips - you are getting these? If not, then focus on them. (I'm assume from now on that you are - because you've said you're getting charged emergency tax. If you're not officially on the book, but are still getting "emergency taxed", then you've got a whole different problem ... come back for some more advice if so!)

You have no more rights with a written contact than without one - and the bad news is that you can be let go at any time during the first twelve months. However you're half-way there, so keep your head down, work hard and don't make trouble is the best approach.

Now thinking about tax:
    Your mother having used your PPS number shouldn't cause you any problems, provided you don't need to claim any welfare benefits for the next few years (more about that below).

For now,
    1. give your PRSI number to your employer
    2. ask your employer for their registration number
    3. ring revenue yourself (you mother can't do it for you, they shouldn't be willing to talk to her about your affairs at all), tell them that you're working and who for.

This will make Revenue send a "certificate of tax credits" to your employer, and your employer will sort the tax out (ie give you back overpayment) in the following pay. If this doesn't happen before the end of December, though, you may need to contact Revenue again (yourself), and ask for a balancing statement for 2009.

Now, getting back to why it could be a problem for YOU that your mother used your number: if you need to claim welfare benefits in your first few years in the workforce, then they give you something called "pre-entry credits", to make up for the fact that you haven't had the chance to pay the contributions yourself. But in your case, you got your pre-entry credits when your mother "entered" the workforce using your number, and now it just looks like you haven't been working for the last couple of years - so you won't be entitled to certain things. Best thing you can do it hope that you won't need to claim anything!

I'm pretty sure that what your mother did is illegal, and if it comes to light then she could be charged with something (fraud? tax-evasion? use of a document for ... I have no idea what the exacty crime would be called). This puts you in a pretty horrible position, IMHO. But unless you were in on the act, it shouldn't get YOU into trouble.

Good luck!

(Any other parents thinking about trying this on your kids: don't be so fcuking stupid!!! You're putting your kids in a horrible position later on, and risking prosecuting yourself.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

The main reason I have to wait for my "ma" to sort this is out, is because her former employer has to give me certain information, and so I have to wait for her to sort that part out. As far as I've been told anyway.
    what a total cop out. your mother, or whatever you wish to call her is not responsible for your tax, you are.

FYI I didn't realise there was anything wrong with the term "ma". If you have grown up calling your ma, mother, mom, mam, mammy, thats perfectly fine, there is no reason for anyone to point it out for any reason. Please do not tell me to grow up, as I find it offensive.
    I have no issue with you using the word 'ma', mother, provider of life, whatever the hell you wish to call her is your business. My issue is with the fact that you rely on 'your ma' to sort it for you.

and finally if being told to grow up offends you, then you are in for a great time in your future work life. you DO need to grow up and take responsibility for your own situation. Stop waiting for someone else to hold your hand and help you. Get off your high horse, stop being offended - the very fact you are offended shows immaturity.

Advertisement