Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding "Offers of Help"

Options
  • 25-11-2009 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Guys,
    With the recent flooding in Ireland we thought it would be good idea to setup a central place for people to post ‘Offers of Help’ to all those affected.
    You might just be able to offer just a few hours of your time to help with the cleanup up of a house, or maybe some furniture or your business might be able to help in some way.
    If everyone could offer something small I am sure it would mean a lot to those affected, even if just a message of support.
    The website is www.offersofhelp.com, if you could pass this on to all your friends and family by email, twitter, facebook etc it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    www.offersofhelp.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

What a fantastic idea!! Well done. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

I live in Dublin but i will help anyone at all in sorting their home insurance claim. Im an unemployed loss assessor so floods are my area. Many dont even know where to start when dealing with insurance companies so just drop me a mail & ill help where i can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭mumto3

fantastic idea!!
    I am offering my help if anyone needs it,let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppyfields

That really is a great idea. We were flooded ourselves last week, and we're only just cleaned up finally today. We were lucky that we had great neighbours to help out and drop off hot meals and mind our kids so we could get stuck in to clean the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Great idea. I've just thrown a linky up on facebook. Maybe others could do the same and ask their friends to pass the word on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If your community is in *real* danger (of life), ring the Gardai, ask to be forwarded to the Civil Defence and explain your situation from there. In real emergency of life, the CD will always be there... remember the CD is there on a volunteer basis hence pure enthusiasm (sp?) as opposed to 'just being paid to do a job'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hgg

I would like to give clothes blankets etc.If anyone could collect them.I would have quite a lot.

Is there a cental point for donations of items?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Try St Vincent de Paul. They already have warehouses and logistics systems in place for managing volumes of donated "stuff".

One big issue after disasters is that kind-hearted people want to give mountains of "stuff", and disaster management resources have to be put into managing it. And the good stuff gets mixed in with shyte that people were thinking about throwing out anyway but "donate" instead.

Often the kindest thing you can do is give cash, so that affected people can go down to Dunnes and get colours/sizes/etc of stuff that they want.

Thank you for reply.

There may be a warehouse in my area also some young people going down to help this weekend and would like some supplies. Baby clothes is mostly what I have (new).

I am in Wicklow area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pclaffey

Hi Jenzz,

Im sure many people of appreciate your help in filling out insurance claims. Add your details to www.offersofhelp.com which people are now using for contacts such as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

Its great to see people pulling together and offering help to those effected by the floods. Disgraceful to see people like a local in Carrick-on-Shannon making money from it
    "One local even made an enterprising business ferrying residents across flood waters on a boat and charging three euro for each passenger!"
    http://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/Carrick-is-almost-isolated-by.5861132.jp

Angelandie wrote: »
    Its great to see people pulling together and offering help to those effected by the floods. Disgraceful to see people like a local in Carrick-on-Shannon making money from it
    "One local even made an enterprising business ferrying residents across flood waters on a boat and charging three euro for each passenger!"
    http://www.leitrimobserver.ie/news/Carrick-is-almost-isolated-
    by.5861132.jp
    I really wish I could discover how to get clothes to the needy.I have lots of baby blankets,moses baskets, tiny clothes,coats all in great condition/new.To think there are people with nothing and I have so much upsets me greatly.
    I am of the older generation and unable to deliver personaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 flooding

If you are a qualified trade professional, the people of the shannon region need your urgent help.
    The recent floods have forced many to leave their homes, leaving their buildings and home contents at the mercy of the elements. It's a devastating situation for so many families in the run up to Christmas.
    We want tradesmen to volunteer their services - to flood proof vunerable homes, disconnect electricity supplies, help clear blockages - the list is long.
    Please volunteer by filling in the the form on the link below for a co-ordinated weekend of action from the 4th - 6th December. We will let you know where and when we need you based upon the situation at the time. Thanks.

http://www.onlinetradesmen.com/TradesmenFloodAppeal/tabid/444/Default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pclaffey

Please can you post this link on www.offersofhelp.com which people in affected areas are now using to communicate and I am sure that you will get a good response

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement