Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most enjoyable multiplayer FPS of the decade

Options
  • 25-11-2009 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

Now if anyone says CoD4 your either a newbie to FPS or are a console gamer and know no better! (That said I have COD 4,5 and 6 aswell as BFBC for my ps3 :D)

In any case my top 5 of the decade has to be

1. Battlefield 2
    Without a single shroud of doubt, the most enjoyable game I have ever played at the time and even today it stands tall as one of the best FPS on the PC. It revolutionized Stats and Ranking which COD copied successfully. The classes system with the ability to revive your teammates or act as a commander really put teamwork at the forefront of the game. Now I know the game had its shortcomings (The infamous "There is a problem with your connection" is an example) but as of now with patch 1.5 it is relatively bug free and for me it was and still is the most enjoyable FPS I've played in a long time.

2. Counter Strike: Source
    Brilliant FPS, The customization and gameplay carried on from the original counter strike made this game an amazing game. Almost everything could be tweaked and servers could be as large as you wanted. Anything could be reskinned and the gameplay is tense and full of suspense. The countless mods such as the surf mod, the rpg mod, the deathmatch mod and the thousands of custom maps definitley puts CSS in a class above the rest.

3. Call of Duty 4(And 5 and 6)
    Definitley deserves to be called one of the best FPS games of the decade, stunning graphics and amazing but linear gameplay. The storyline was brilliant for an FPS, the online gameplay took the successful ranking system of BF2 and added things like perks and killstreak rewards which added a whole lot more to the online experience

4. Halo

Amazing gameplay on the Xbox and the PC, Reasonably good storyline and addictively fun multiplayer. Brilliant game, enough said.

5. Unreal Tournament 2004/3 for the PC(Console versions were meh)
    Fast, insane gameplay, The console version was a huge let down imo but the PC version was and still is something amazing.

Ok so whats your favourite FPS of the decade?

Vote on the poll

Best FPS of the decade? 137 votes

Battlefield 1942/2/2142
    0% 0 votes
    Counter Strike (Source)
    27% 37 votes
    Call of Duty 2
    22% 31 votes
    Call of Duty 4/5/6
    2% 4 votes
    Battlefield Bad company
    25% 35 votes
    Unreal 2k4/3
    0% 1 vote
    Crysis
    2% 4 votes
    Call of Duty:Spin off i.e. Big red one e.t.c.
    0% 0 votes
    Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault
    0% 1 vote
    Medal of Honor: Airborne
    0% 0 votes
    Halo 1/2/3
    0% 0 votes
    Gears of War (And its sequels)
    9% 13 votes
    Brother in Arms(And its sequels)
    1% 2 votes
    Killzone (And its sequels)
    2% 3 votes
    Other (Post in thread and I may add to the poll)
    4% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Agree with you apart from battlefield 2.
    First one was way better but maybe thats
    just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

how is there no Quake in that poll? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Funky wrote: »
    Damn it, thought I was missing something!
    Ok So I can't edit it, can a mod do it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Battlefield 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

1942 Desert Combat mod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Battlefield Heroes for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

You're also missing Team Fortress (including TF2) and Planetside.

Plus - BF2 didn't do anything with stats and ranking that hadn't been done for years in RPGs and if they hadn't done it "first", it would've been done very shortly afterwards. I think BF2142 is much better than BF2 and I had a lot more fun playing it. More to the point, neither of them have a single player campaign which is more important to a lot of people than the multiplayer aspect and, while this is a poll about multiplayer FPS games, the single player campaign adds a lot of extra enjoyment and playability to a game increasing the overall score.

I think Halo is over-rated and the multiplayer too confined. Didn't bother with CS (including the source version) nor Unreal. Since it's the most enjoyable FPS of the decade, I wouldn't bother including quake as that's more of a 90s game. Out of the list provided, I'd have to say COD - either of COD4 or COD6 could've done it on their own in that selection but since they're all lumped together I'd say it's a no-brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Battlefield 1942 for me. Didn't like the rest of the series all that much but the first one was amazing.

Quake was released in the 90's so shouldn't be there unless you're just going for a best of all time.

Halo co-op mode gets the nod from me but the deathmatch was a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

If he waited 1 more week he could have ignored quake as:
    Quake III Arena (also known as Quake 3; abbreviated as Q3A or Q3), is a multiplayer first-person shooter computer and video game released on December 2, 1999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Ah c'mon... not a single mention of either TRIBES or Wolf:ET yet? For goodness sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Heathen! Where's the Team Fortress 2 option? TF2 got me hooked into online gaming again at a time I had completely moved away from FPS's, pure fun.

Battlefield 2 would of been my second option, lots of good memories of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Promac wrote: »
    You're also missing Team Fortress (including TF2) and Planetside.
    And L4D! wtf kind of Poll is this?! I call shennanigans.

It would be enough to have one Battlefield option, one counterstrike option, MoH option, etc etc.

Poll is loaded.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    If he waited 1 more week he could have ignored quake as:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_3

There's also Quake 4 and Quake Live though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

PlanetSide for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

For pure enjoyment, as is the theme of the thread, I cannot look beyond Halo.... There might be technically better FPS games out there, but Halo is just great fun and its very hard to put down that controller when you are playing in online multiplayer etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

hmm... I said "other" thinking I'd vote L4D.... but on further thought, I'd have to go with UT2004. Absolutely loved that game and played it nearly every day for a good few years.

Also, Halo was excellent. We got the demo running in college and played Blood Gulch to death over a few semesters. Was the main reason we couldn't study in computer labs, the temptation to start it up was just too tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

There's also Quake 4 and Quake Live though

would you actually vote for quake 4 though considering its multiplayer component was pretty straightforward.

and Quake live is a quake 3 port.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Joeface

oooh difficult choice

1942 or cod 4

it comes down too .........I supppose 1942 wins it for BF series (dc mod was awesome)
    .huge fan of cod4 but have to vote bf

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Eh surely CS should be in there! Far better than the horrible source version. CS 1.0 was released at the end of 2000 wasnt it?

Anyway Battlefield proper got the vote from me, its a close call between that and CS 1.5

Oh and as someone else said Wolfenstein ET should definitely be in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I haven't played ARMA2 online yet because my internet is evil but I'd say it's pretty epic online.

Only other game I've really played in COD series. Gets fairly dull after a while it's the same thing over and over.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    would you actually vote for quake 4 though considering its multiplayer component was pretty straightforward.

and Quake live is a quake 3 port.

It's not about what I'd vote for, and given some of the other voting options it's ludicrous to say Quake 4 wouldn't deserve to be there :P

Also, though I barely played Q4 I have to say to watch it was one of my favourite games ever, and I'm not sure what you mean about the multiplayer component being pretty straight forward. It was a solid DM game with plenty of depth, check out games from around the time of WSVG in 2006 with players like toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

For me its a close call between Wolfenstein ET and Battlefield 2. ET got me hooked on FPS but Battlefield 2 was and still is something I enjoy playing quite regularly.

I never really got into or understood the CS:S craze. I played it a few times and it just seemed repetitive and full of fanatical players who would wipe the floor with you every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

edit nevermind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Timesplitters 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Team Fortress 2, had so many fun hours playing that game, loved the crude sense of humour in it, makes every game a lark. Pity my game/router/computer/whatever ****ed up and wont allow me to join any servers, I miss it :( .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I still really enjoy games of Half-Life deathmatch. Crossfire, double cross and boot camp are legendary. I also love Call of Duty MW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

If you're talking about mods too then without a doubt Battlefield 2. I also enjoy(ed) CoD4 - it's simple mindless fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No Operation Flashpoint or Half Life means the poll fails completely IMO

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Overheal wrote: »
    And L4D! wtf kind of Poll is this?! I call shennanigans.

It would be enough to have one Battlefield option, one counterstrike option, MoH option, etc etc.

Poll is loaded.

+1.

Where is MGO???:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

BF2 for me, loved that game, came out just after I got broadband too.

Advertisement