Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice : Grooming Issues

Options
  • 25-11-2009 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭

Hey all :)

We adopted a 3 year old Westie from the pound last week. Like all Westies he's a bit domineering. The poor guy's coat is in a terrible condition, mats all over especially on his underbelly, so we wanted to get him tidied up. We took him to our usual groomer who after washing him down couldn't shave his coat because he was so agitated (started growling, snapping etc). According to the groomer he's "ungroomable" because of his temper.
    We have other Westies and while one of them is also a bit cantankerous she manages to groom him fine so there's no doubt that the lady is being honest. She said she'd only attempt grooming him if he was sedated, can this be done? I'd be vary wary of putting any dog under unnecessary sedation but I am ignorant of these things generally.
    Does anyone out there manage to groom bad tempered dogs? We don't want to spook the little guy out but we'd love to fix him up a bit.

Edit : Should have prefaced I'm in Cork.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'd get onto Maureen Byrne in Wesite Rescue http://www.westierescue.ie/ and maybe she can recommend someone to help you. I know she's taken many westies in bad nick from the pounds so may have some good advice.

Well done for taking him out. Which pound did he come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭littlelady

there really should be no such as ungroomable dog! I have a westie & he can be a bit fiesty too but the groomer never has a problem, if the groomer is anyway good there shouldnt be a problem. Where are you looking for a groomer? Maureen Byrne from Westie Rescue in Louth may be able to point you in the right direction of a decent groomer, she gets dogs in to her in all sorts of condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭littlelady

Snap Toulouse! Great minds think alike, we just got a westie from Maureen, she does great work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Thanks for the replies guys! I've shot an email the way of WRI and I'll give them a buzz on the phone tomorrow :)

We took him from one of the pounds in Cork. We've taken in 2 before him so they rang and asked us if we'd be interested when they got him in. Settling in fine thankfully.

Advertisement