Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding "Offers of Help"

Options
  • 25-11-2009 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Guys,

With the recent flooding in Ireland we thought it would be good idea to setup a central place for people to post ‘Offers of Help’ to all those affected.

You might just be able to offer just a few hours of your time to help with the cleanup up of a house, or maybe some furniture or your business might be able to help in some way.

If everyone could offer something small I am sure it would mean a lot to those affected, even if just a message of support.

The website is www.offersofhelp.com, if you could pass this on to all your friends and family by email, twitter, facebook etc it would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    www.offersofhelp.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

This normal breach of the rules has been allowed by the way. For any who care. Obviously this is a time when exceptions need to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I'd love to be able to help ,but I'm up in Dublin. Any chance someone will be setting up a dedicated fund ,so people might donate money ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to help ,but I'm up in Dublin. Any chance someone will be setting up a dedicated fund ,so people might donate money ?

The Irish Red Cross are looking for cash donations right now.

http://www.redcross.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

nesf wrote: »
    This normal breach of the rules has been allowed by the way. For any who care. Obviously this is a time when exceptions need to be made.

Have the bona fides of this outfit been checked out. No "about Us" info on their site. Can the OP let us have some info about themselves, please

Have the bona fides of this outfit been checked out. No "about Us" info on their site. Can the OP let us have some info about themselves, please

I can't check bona fides but they're not soliciting donations which would be the clearest sign of something dodgy going on.

• Advertisement

gizmo555 wrote: »
    The Irish Red Cross are looking for cash donations right now.

http://www.redcross.ie/

I didn't realise they had a dedicated fund ,cheers. Bang them off a few notes so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

I'm afraid I'm tied up with our own company (back into it first thing tomorrow morning), but I gave you a link on Facebook anyway.

You really need to set up a Facebook account for this sort of thing, its the best way to contact those who may be able to lend a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

funny i was driving home this morning and was thinking of the same thing. there has to be something people can be doing. Talking to friends down there and the situation seems totally atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 davem75

The radio show covered the story from a business owner in Gort and the extent of the devastation.

But our governemnt doesn't call on the Army to help. Doesn't call on the local FCA units ....

There is no help except for a few government ministers flying in to have a quick look take a few photos...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

iirc some of these areas are the same places that flooded last year.

I'm wondering can a competent authority devise some sort of contingency in the event of future floods, and maybe even civil engineering works to mitigate the disaster before it actually occurs?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Hi Pclaffey,

Is there a clothes bank one can donate to?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Anybody who wishes to help with the flood clean up in Cork is asked to contact the Cork Volunteer Centre on 021 4559296

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

davem75 wrote: »
    The radio show covered the story from a business owner in Gort and the extent of the devastation.

But our governemnt doesn't call on the Army to help. Doesn't call on the local FCA units ....

There is no help except for a few government ministers flying in to have a quick look take a few photos...
    I heard this too, christ, words escaped me. He said hell must be better than what he is going through right now, what more can you say?

Cowen is flying around in a helicopter looking at the devastation in the midlands today. How exactly does that help :confused:

The govt have offered up €12m, that wouldnt even sort out Gort FFS :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

saint vincent de paul have an appeal going as well

"Donations of clothing and other assistance can continue to be made in the usual way to all SVP shops around the country"

http://www.svp.ie/News/Latest-News/B...ERE-IS-A-.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Sizzler wrote: »
    Cowen is flying around in a helicopter looking at the devastation in the midlands today. How exactly does that help :confused:

I thought this too

but to be honest, in this country, if he did not go, that would be an issue too

its a crazy place sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Sizzler wrote: »
    The govt have offered up €12m, that wouldnt even sort out Gort FFS :mad:

Gort, it's worth pointing out, has been a flood risk area for well over 20 years - at least partly due to the local people using the karst drainage sinkholes as convenient rubbish 'disposal'.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pclaffey

www.offersofhelp.com is a genuine site that was set up quickly and simply to offer help and support to the hundreds of people in our country that are suffering great loss and destruction at this time. It has a forum to share messages and offers of any kind of support. It is not requesting any financial donations just donations of time and any spare household items which may be useful now to those that have none. By signing up on this site people can offer practical support through communicating to others and those affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pclaffey

Thanks for facebook link and if anyone else could post the link www.offersofhelp.com on their facebook pages that would be a great help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

Great idea.
    Having the flu myself i will not be able to help until next week, but i would like to volunteer our many public sector slaves that we own.
    You may whip them if they arent working hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm wondering are such "offers" actually selfish / two-faced. If people were genuinely concerned about others, wouldn't they have helped out with a voluntary organisation before now? While individual new volunteers may be useful in some cases, pre-trained and pre-vetted people would be much more useful.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    I'm wondering are such "offers" actually selfish / two-faced. If people were genuinely concerned about others, wouldn't they have helped out with a voluntary organisation before now? While individual new volunteers may be useful in some cases, pre-trained and pre-vetted people would be much more useful.

The floods need to dissapear ,before repairs can be done. Considering lots of people have no insurance ,offering services for free isn't selfish.

_Kooli_ wrote: »
    Great idea.
    Having the flu myself i will not be able to help until next week, but i would like to volunteer our many public sector slaves that we own.
    You may whip them if they arent working hard enough.

Let's not turn this into a public/private thread please. Many people from both sides are doing sterling work right now helping the areas effected by these floods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I think it's a sad sign of the times that we are living in, when someone sets up a site for bringing people who need help, and who can offer help, together, and one of the first comments to be posted here is that possibly people who want to volunteer at a time of a national emergency, should be subjected to a "vetting" process and that people should be a holder of some sort of a qualification in volunteer work, as is implied by the poster above saying that people should be trained to be a volunteer...

It's sad that this is how paranoid and cynical we have now become, next thing we'll be saying that a volunteer should be insured before they can help out a community...

Emergencies stir people into action. It's just human nature. I really wouldn't consider it actively selfish or two-faced unless you want to describe all altruism as essentially selfish or two-faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There was a similar response after the 2004 Tsunami. People wanted to volunteer their time, as a priority over what was actually needed - money and other physical resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Looking at the pictures in the media there has been a massive scale of devastation. To have your home contents wiped out like this must be horrendous. I'll make a donation to the aid efforts in the coming days.
    The planners and council officials have a lot to answer for in many of these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

[FONT=&quot]www.raisingcork.com is holding a fundraiser to help the people of Cork who were badly effected by the floods. There will be a table quizz held at the Silver Springs hotel on Monday 7th of Dec. George Hook will be presenting and there are some great prizes. Entry is €80 for a table of 4. [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 21 davem75

Just posting a link please pass it on..........

Thanks

http://www.newstalk.ie/news/newstalk-flood-appeal/

Advertisement