Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can parents supervise classes in schools during these strikes?

Options
  • 25-11-2009 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Not sure where to put this (the Edu category briefly beckoned but I decided against!) so Mods please move if you can find a better home, but since it's related to strikes, which is related to teh Economy here it is, for now.

A great many people have a fundamental disagreement with the current strikes. It's a complex issue and there are lots of pros and cons (for example I have no issue with well paid emergency service workers). But I do object to civil servants and teachers on good salaries, with excellent hours, good conditions, secure (some would argue cushy) roles and handsome pensions going on strike when the country clearly cannot afford to continue as it is.

But there is very little the average person can do. So we accept the strikes, the hassle and the inconvenience.

But do we have to?

In my childrens primary school there are 3 classes per year and 8 years, making 24 classes. Assume at least 30 per class and thats 720 students. So you could make a working assumption of 500 families having to make different childcare plans and being inconvenienced (or in the case of childminders) being out out of pocket. And teachers carry on, many thinking they have our support.

But 500 families is 1000 parents. I am willing to bet that you could get 24 volunteers from the parents to supervise the classes for a day. Whatever about secondary school the primary curriculum is simple enough that a parent could supervise as well as any substitute teacher.

I know someone will say "insurance!" - but I would imagine that insurance only requires adult supervision, not qualified teacher supervision.

It would minimise disruption, maintain some form of education on the missing days and send a clear message to teh teachers that they lack popular support. And any parent who does support the teachers can keep thier child away.

I would certainly be willing to do it - after all, based on yesterday you wouldn't even have to cross a picket line!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

id love to take you into my school or one of the schools my mates work in and leave you in a class room and say mind this lot... you'd get eaten alive matey :)
    But I do object to civil servants and teachers on good salaries, with excellent hours, good conditions

Pm me and i will send you a copy of my last pay packet... till you see how good my salary is after bills come out of it... excellent hours... you never had 150 exams to mark every 2 weeks have you mate... or labs to prepare or reports to write on kids... all in your own time....

get a grip... even in a primary school youd be lost have some repect for the savage job that our teacher do day in day out.. recession or boom times ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Not sure where to put this (the Edu category briefly beckoned but I decided against!) so Mods please move if you can find a better home, but since it's related to strikes, which is related to teh Economy here it is, for now.

A great many people have a fundamental disagreement with the current strikes. It's a complex issue and there are lots of pros and cons (for example I have no issue with well paid emergency service workers). But I do object to civil servants and teachers on good salaries, with excellent hours, good conditions, secure (some would argue cushy) roles and handsome pensions going on strike when the country clearly cannot afford to continue as it is.

But there is very little the average person can do. So we accept the strikes, the hassle and the inconvenience.

But do we have to?

In my childrens primary school there are 3 classes per year and 8 years, making 24 classes. Assume at least 30 per class and thats 720 students. So you could make a working assumption of 500 families having to make different childcare plans and being inconvenienced (or in the case of childminders) being out out of pocket. And teachers carry on, many thinking they have our support.

But 500 families is 1000 parents. I am willing to bet that you could get 24 volunteers from the parents to supervise the classes for a day. Whatever about secondary school the primary curriculum is simple enough that a parent could supervise as well as any substitute teacher.

I know someone will say "insurance!" - but I would imagine that insurance only requires adult supervision, not qualified teacher supervision.

It would minimise disruption, maintain some form of education on the missing days and send a clear message to teh teachers that they lack popular support. And any parent who does support the teachers can keep thier child away.

I would certainly be willing to do it - after all, based on yesterday you wouldn't even have to cross a picket line!

I'd imagine that they'd have to be vetted first which would take time. No go for December 3rd I'd guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

paddyc wrote: »
    id love to take you into my school or one of the schools my mates work in and leave you in a class room and say mind this lot... you'd get eaten alive matey :)

Pm me and i will send you a copy of my last pay packet... till you see how good my salary is after bills come out of it... excellent hours... you never had 150 exams to mark every 2 weeks have you mate... or labs to prepare or reports to write on kids... all in your own time....

get a grip... even in a primary school youd be lost have some repect for the savage job that our teacher do day in day out.. recession or boom times ..

See your first assumption is that I have no experience in either education or inner cities. I actually taught vocational skills in Hackney in East London, so I'd be pretty confident that if I can deal with inner city London teens I can manage suburban Limerick 8 year olds. But please do feel free to allow emotion to cloud your judgement and attack me rather than my post.

And no-one but you is responsible for your bills so putting that aside 150 exams in two weeks is roughly one every half an hour. I'm sorry, I don't see that as excessive. As for the rest - myself and plenty of others work long hours too!

And good teachers are priceless. I have no objection to good teachers earning good money. Sadly I wouldn't rate every teacher my two kids have had as good, but thats neither here nor there.
    tunney wrote: »
    I'd imagine that they'd have to be vetted first which would take time. No go for December 3rd I'd guess.

Yea, fair point, we'd need people with Garda clearance. Lots of people have that with either thier jobs or through clubs and the like. Not a show stopper long term but puts it out for Dec 3rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

tunney wrote: »

Its aprox 18 weeks for Garda clearance at the moment & also will the schools insurances cover it ? I know thats the excuse given to us on rainey mornings......

Dont get me wrong I would the 1st to volunteer in my kiddies school & probably the only ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Just had another thought - we constantly hear about graduate teachers not being able to find work. Why can't they use substitute teachers? They aren't in a union.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 smurff

Fantastic idea. Makes total sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

Yes great idea and then those substitute teachers who aspire to be unionised full time teachers will have kissed away their opportunity of a career for passing a picket for one day's pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Yes great idea The cheek of the well paid well pensioned striking and not picketing there own schools is vomit inducing
    €50.35 for playground supervision FFS that really taking the proverbial
    Wonder did any one of are great teacher take a sicky the next day or the next or the next because they are worth it

And by the way i was Home Skooled

Hootanany wrote: »
    Yes great idea The cheek of the well paid well pensioned striking and not picketing there own schools is vomit inducing
    Wonder did any one of are great teacher take a sicky the next day or the next or the next because they are worth it

And by the way i was Home Skooled

Congratulations to your parents on the home schooling. Unfortunately not all parents have the will or the way to do this. Would you home school your own kids and those of your neighbours?

Did you ever get a sick day at the home school?

ulysses32 wrote: »
    Congratulations to your parents on the home schooling. Unfortunately not all parents have the will or the way to do this. Would you home school your own kids and those of your neighbours?

Did you ever get a sick day at the home school?

Not Biting

• Advertisement

Send my own little ones to creche at a charge of €7 per hour where there are 6 others. That works out well for the private sector creche at a whopping €56 per hour.

Send my own little ones to creche at a charge of €7 per hour where there are 6 others. That works out well for the private sector creche at a whopping €56 per hour.

They are running a business not taking sickies when they want & what are these in service days all about then,Do you not have enough time of already

They are running a business not taking sickies when they want & what are these in service days all about then,Do you not have enough time of already

Can you really have enough time off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Yes great idea and then those substitute teachers who aspire to be unionised full time teachers will have kissed away their opportunity of a career for passing a picket for one day's pay!

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

paddyc wrote: »

Just to say I have every respect for the job teachers do and I think that good teachers deserve their salary, however your attitude stinks.

Firstly it doesnt matter what you have left after bills, thats your business and they are due to your lifestlye. What counts is what you get into your hand and it is a good wage.

Secondly, you dont do 40 hours a week in the class room. The marking is not done in your own time, your paid for it. The same way you are paid to prepare for classes and set up whatever needs to be set up. I know teachers give their free time for extra-curriculer activities and thats great but your saying that you mark papers in your free time, give me a break.

Thirdly not all teachers are good and their needs to be a better assesment process put in place to weed out bad teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭draward

ONE SMALL PROBLEM WITH THIS. who would you get to open the school. Caretaker is in charge of keys THEY ARE ON STRIKE.

Is it compulsory to join the Union once yo get a Gig

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Is it compulsory to join the Union once yo get a Gig

Of course not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Can't use substitute teachers, they'll be blacklisted by principals and never get a job. Same goes for temps or non-unionised, they have to bow to the bullies.
    It has to be an outsider.

How about reserve gardai?

Advertisement