Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early Bird Restaurant Recommendation

Options
  • 25-11-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi,

I am not from Dublin but I need to book a restaurant for a group of about 10 for my husbands graduation on a Saturday in December.

I am looking for a nice restaurant that does an early bird on a Saturday. Must have steak as a main course (some fussy eaters among us).

Ideally located in the city centre and/or near the read luas line.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

my mum has gone for the early bird in the westin a couple of times recently enough and can't rate it highly enough...
    great menu, staff that don't rush you and plenty of space between tables that you can relax and chat...
    i do believe they have steak on it also and it's on a saturday too....

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

Thanks for the suggestion, that looks like great value, for what I need though it might be a bit fancy. As well as fussy eaters we would have a few people in the group who would be more suited to a casual restaurant!

I'll keep that one in mind for when it is just the two of us though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Lots of choices in/around the George's St area which are good value and nice food. Some of my favourites include SoHo, Cafe Boulevard, Brasserie 66...

Thanks xebec, I looked at the website and none of them do an early bird on Saturdays :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Bleu on Dawson St could be a winner. Early bird on Saturdays, steak on the menu, fairly casual and well priced. I was in there only a few weeks ago, really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

So nearly a winner, its a great menu, rang them for the price, its 19.99, but in December they go to a Christmas menu and it is 39.99 for the pre theatre and 49.99 later on. That is mad money, who wants to be eating Christmas food for a full month anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

A lot of places don't do early bird menus in December at all because of the extra trade they get at this time of year. For example, I'm heading to Odessa this evening and just had a look at their site, early bird is €17 and available on Saturdays, but again not available in December...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I asked the same thing not long ago.. You might find some ideas here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055736561

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 conordean

I went out with my family for My brothers 18th last month. We ate in Abacus it's a Asian restaurant in the Academy Plaza hotel just off O'Connel Street. They do an early bird for €21.95.

But they also have a normal restaurant that might be a better option for you with Steak extra and as far as I know thir early bird there is €19.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

http://www.townbarandgrill.com/

They do a pre-theatre for 2 course - €24, 3 course - €30: 7 days a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Kaskade wrote: »
    So nearly a winner, its a great menu, rang them for the price, its 19.99, but in December they go to a Christmas menu and it is 39.99 for the pre theatre and 49.99 later on. That is mad money, who wants to be eating Christmas food for a full month anyway....
    Hmm, it will be interesting to see how this one plays out this Christmas. I'd say most companies won't be splashing out on do's in a restaurant.

Yet another example that the restaurant industry in Dublin still haven't learned that times have changed.

Chapter One do a fantastic pre theatre menu even on Saturdays which I've been meaning to try for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Hmm, it will be interesting to see how this one plays out this Christmas. I'd say most companies won't be splashing out on do's in a restaurant.

Yet another example that the restaurant industry in Dublin still haven't learned that times have changed.

Chapter One do a fantastic pre theatre menu even on Saturdays which I've been meaning to try for ages.

How do you know it's fantastic if you haven't tried it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

I rang last weekend to book the next available pre-theatre on a Saturday. I'm going on Jan 9th! They're booked up for about two months in advance! (I think Tuesdays are usually a little lighter, though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Lothaar wrote: »
    I rang last weekend to book the next available pre-theatre on a Saturday. I'm going on Jan 9th! They're booked up for about two months in advance! (I think Tuesdays are usually a little lighter, though.)
    That's why I haven't tried it yet because when we want to go it's booked up.

Hopefully in early 2010!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

xebec wrote: »
    Lots of choices in/around the George's St area which are good value and nice food. Some of my favourites include SoHo, Cafe Boulevard, Brasserie 66...

Can't disrecommend Brasserie 66 enough. Over-priced food that is not great. Service is very lacklustre. Music is terrible in there and too loud.

SoHo is only so-so as well.

Advertisement