Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O Connells Traditional Guinness Bar

Options
  • 25-11-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading the Limerick Independent just there and spotted a full page advert re the opening of O Connells Traditional Guinness Bar & Country Style Kitchen this Friday @ 8.30
    In their wisdom they omitted to include where the hell it actually is? Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

It's part of the Old Quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Might have to check this out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    It's part of the Old Quarter.

If its anything like the crowd thats in OQ i wouldnt be expecting much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

If its anything like the crowd thats in OQ i wouldnt be expecting much

Gotta agree with Sparky here just the OQ trying to claw back some business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

All it is the right side of the old quarter with the bar counter nearer the outside part done in a plastic paddy kind of way.Not sure how it will work on a weekend night with all the clubber crowd sharing the outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Thanks. Very disappointed to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds very gimmicky. If you want a great point of the black stuff, the Old Quarter is not the place to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Best place for a pint of the Black is Breens on Shannon st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Best place for a pint of the Black is Breens on Shannon st

I can see Breens from my apartment window but never been in it. Must try it some night

I think South's consistently have the best Guinness in town. Good shout on Breens also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

free pint, see you next week.

Best of luck with the place, will reserve judgement til I see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Hi Guys,

Apologies for any confusion, the graphic designer sent a copy of the advert without the address to the Limerick Independent, the copy sent to the Limerick Post had the address on it. The address is in Little Ellen St.

O'Connells is part of the Old Quarter which is under new ownership since last year and has undergone many changes, the old style bar being one of them with a new kitchen, complete refurbishment of the building with th rest to be complete when the bank gives us a loan!!!!

The bar is not a plastic gimik but a style that I have always liked. All works were completed by myself and the staff of the pub with all supplies bought and sourced locally from Heiton Buckleys and Mc Mahons timber.

We are changing the style and over all look of the pub because it is one we can do ourselves, dates and ages well and obviuosly to try and increase business.

If the Old Quarter was not known for its good pints I can assure you that that is no longer the case. All pythins, cooler and keg facilities are new and all staff are trained periodically by Guinness/Diagio. I would think that the best or perfect pint is that of presentation, taste, surroundungs and ones own opinion.

If anybody would like a complimentary pint to try it and and maybe make up there own mind why not drop me a mail on ktaoconnell@gmail.com where I would be happy to arrange.

Best Regards and Many thanks for your interest.

Ken O'Connell:)
    Get some quality World Beers in please! Preferably on tap! Its a shame i cant find any quality draught beers in Limerick. It would be nice to taste something different to the very bland Heineken and Carlsberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

grenache wrote: »
    Get some quality World Beers in please! Preferably on tap! Its a shame i cant find any quality draught beers in Limerick. It would be nice to taste something different to the very bland Heineken and Carlsberg.

+1
    Or if you cant get in any decent world beers how about decent irish beers i.e. O Haras stout or Galway hooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

If you are going to get any beer get Flying Dog.

They have it in Dublin, they have it in Cork, but it can't be found in Limerick.

The beer is inspired by Hunter S. Thompson for God's sake and he gave them the slogan - "Good people drink good beer - no ****!"

http://www.flyingdogales.com/Gonzo-HunterSThompson.aspx

Get that in and you have a life-long customer on your hands.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

knightmare wrote: »
    +1
    Or if you cant get in any decent world beers how about decent irish beers i.e. O Haras stout or Galway hooker.
    +1

O'Haras is a lovely stout. You can get in The Bierhaus in Cork, The Bierhaus in Galway, in Dublin in the Bull and Castle and Porterhouse amongst others. No where to be got in Limerick. We've not got even one boutique beer pub in the city :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Hi Guys,

Apologies for any confusion, the graphic designer sent a copy of the advert without the address to the Limerick Independent, the copy sent to the Limerick Post had the address on it. The address is in Little Ellen St.

O'Connells is part of the Old Quarter which is under new ownership since last year and has undergone many changes, the old style bar being one of them with a new kitchen, complete refurbishment of the building with th rest to be complete when the bank gives us a loan!!!!

The bar is not a plastic gimik but a style that I have always liked. All works were completed by myself and the staff of the pub with all supplies bought and sourced locally from Heiton Buckleys and Mc Mahons timber.

We are changing the style and over all look of the pub because it is one we can do ourselves, dates and ages well and obviuosly to try and increase business.

If the Old Quarter was not known for its good pints I can assure you that that is no longer the case. All pythins, cooler and keg facilities are new and all staff are trained periodically by Guinness/Diagio. I would think that the best or perfect pint is that of presentation, taste, surroundungs and ones own opinion.

If anybody would like a complimentary pint to try it and and maybe make up there own mind why not drop me a mail on ktaoconnell@gmail.com where I would be happy to arrange.

Fair enough i would have the odd coffee day time in the old quarter,i just saw a new counter on the left hand side,just most people think it will be a plastic irish bar because with the saturday clubbing crowd on the other side.But if its 2 different bars and crowds sounds cool,im sorry:)

Thanks for the reply Ken. Good to hear of the improvements that have been made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

Hi Guys,

Well Ken, best of luck with the bar, I'll be in later to sample a pint or five :)

Advertisement