Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Travel is no more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Budget Travel has been officially wound up today wih the loss of 172 including a branch at the Dunnes Stores shopping Ctr. I booked once with them a few yeas ago to Corfu with the ex. :p

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/1125/budgettravel.html

Delighted. I bought a voucher off them a few years ago as a present for my best friend's wedding. The voucher was on the verge of expiring and they wouldn't extend it by a few days for my friend. Their customer service was appalling. Good riddance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

its still saying alot about the travel companies in ireland if the company that has aobut 30% market share according to the rte site is going out of business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Travel Agents have been on a slide for years. With all the cheap flights at the moment and a little internet savvy you can do a lot better than the all inclusive deals they're pushing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Good riddance, they mixed up our resort in Zakynthos and didn't want to know about it afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Good.
    Scum.
    Probably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭neil_purdy

Not too good for the people that are currently away on their packages...

"The company says it is working closely with the Commission for Aviation Regulation to ensure plans are put in place to enable all customers to return to Ireland with the minimum of inconvenience."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

neil_purdy wrote: »
    Not too good for the people that are currently away on their packages...

"The company says it is working closely with the Commission for Aviation Regulation to ensure plans are put in place to enable all customers to return to Ireland with the minimum of inconvenience."

At least they have some screed of cover not like in the old days when they would have been stranded with nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Can't say they'll be any loss. Back in the days before online booking I went with them to the Greek Islands. They put us in a kip and were totally useless when the accommodation was broken into.

On another occasion they fupped up a booking and kept the deposit when I cancelled even though it was their mistake. Never had any time for them after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

The big problem here is while it is cheaper to book on the net all those jobs will never return,not just the direct but indirect jobs like windows cleaners etc..instead replaced by a few smart guys and html code..smart economy is on the way..just a pity that its gonna exclude the majority of people!!
    e20million to retrain Dells workforce but as what?Network engineers,Scientists?..theres a reason most of these people worked on the line in Dell in the first place..and whats the point of training when there are gonna be no new mass employer relocating here anytime soon..its a bleak outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Terrible news, I don't know how anyone can coldly say good riddance to the fact that 170 people are been laid off.

Sykes Enterprises Shannon announced it would be letting go 100 or more staff by January, barely got mentioned anywhere. I saw those 100 people and to put a figure like 100 in perspective, just imagine 100 individuals in front of you and you will be stunned.

To the people with jobs (more than likely the public sector) who have said "good riddance" I would love to see you hearing you were losing your job and all of a sudden had an uncertain future. Also theres another few hundred people we have to pay €200 a week. That works out over €30000 a week. A year, thats staggering, and just for these few alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Travel Agents were always going to suffer not only in a down turn (less spare money less holidays) as well as the increase in low cost airlines going to sunny climes and the ease of booking foreign resorts online.

It is a terrible loss to the 170 people, and the 100 people in Sykes, as someone who was made redundant in past couple of years I know it's an awful shock to each and every person who's affected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

I don't think previous posters meant good riddance to the jobs but did mean good riddance to the Budget Travel Company and their policies.
    This is undoubtedly the worst news possible to all the employees and current clients of Budget.

However, budget travel are an exceptionally poor travel agent. To not renew a recently outdated travel voucher is bad form. To hold on to customers deposits when it was their mistake is bad form. To put holidaymakers up in dodgy accomodation and not care about it is bad form. And good riddance to bad form.

Hopefully a high percentage of the workers will find work with other travel agents. Some people can still afford package holidays and will book them with travel agents.

My sympathy is with the workers of budget travel today but not the company itself.

Advertisement