Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be a teacher? - NOT FOR ALL THE TEA IN CHINA

Options
  • 25-11-2009 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Im not a public sector nor a private sector worker - im in the redundant sector !

The controversy over yesterdays strike got me thinking - would I go in & be a teacher even for just a day.

Not a hope in living hell ! People go on about what perks they get, holidays, 2 months off, pensions etc etc.

30 little loopers in my charge for 6 hours a day, correcting homework. teaching them. verbal abuse from parents, physical abuse from parents, assaults from parents. Parents forgetting to collect kids, prep for tomorrow, board meetings, parents assoc meetings, calls to parents, union jazz, striking. Arts for the classroom, research -

Whenever the media seem to report on Public sector they always seem to say Teachers & nurses. God help them both - Ill take my hat off to what they do every day & firemen & Gardai & doctors & the frontline list goes on- I certainly couldnt cope- not for all the Tea in china.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Pretty negative picture you've painted, not sure anyone would want that job!

But how many teachers daily reality is actually like that? Maybe in inner city Dublin, Cork or Limerick but there is a whole big country outside that. Lots of people like kids, it's a job that has teh potential to give vast job satisfaction, you can impact someone life positively (everyone remembers a good teacher). The hours aren't that bad compared to many jobs and you get the summer off. It's not physically hard and it is varied and stimulating. For every negative there is a positive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Thats very true ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

your title got me thinking

in wonder how many Chinese teachers we can pay with a 55K salary

hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

is a class room where every single child is troublesome the norm?

i would have thought having a handful would be the norm

which is why you spend years studying to learn how to cope with it?

4 months paid holidays in some cases.

a few hours a day

sign me up brother.

ei.sdraob wrote: »

hmmmm

We could outsource it. Ship the kids out there at 6 and back again at 18 :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

new PS scandal : "Teacher refuses job over lack of tea"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Having thought adults I can safely say that I wouldn't want to teach kids regardless of age. At least we kids you can tell them to be quite, very difficult to tell an adult that they are now just waffling on.

I agree with both above posts. But there is no way I would want to be a full time teacher.

What we forget about in these discussion is that frontline public sector workers made a choice to become a Teacher, a Garda and a Nurse. Just in the same manner that many people choose not to go on to further education after school since the money in Construction was better.

Do people still think that the public sector workers made a bad choice? As amedeus says there are pros and cons to all jobs.

We could outsource it. Ship the kids out there at 6 and back again at 18 :P

would open the eyes of some of the little brats :pac:

and sure speaking mandarin is all the rage these days

outsourcing FTW

Elmo wrote: »
    Having thought adults I can safely say that I wouldn't want to teach kids regardless of age. At least we kids you can tell them to be quite, very difficult to tell an adult that they are now just waffling on.

maybe that's where a teacher needs to learn how to listen better?

there's a lot of ways to skin a cat, most teachers know one.

I agree with both above posts. But there is no way I would want to be a full time teacher.

What we forget about in these discussion is that frontline public sector workers made a choice to become a Teacher, a Garda and a Nurse. Just in the same manner that many people choose not to go on to further education after school since the money in Construction was better.

Do people still think that the public sector workers made a bad choice? As amedeus says there are pros and cons to all jobs.

does their choice entitle them to a job which they cant be fired from?

or does it entitle them to hold the whole country ransom??

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    is a class room where every single child is troublesome the norm?

It isn't just troublesome kids it is all of the kids you have to get their attention. As I said I have thought Adults and you would think they would be easy to teach. No way after teaching adults would I want to teach Kids and Teens.

How did they hold the whole country to ransom ?

does their choice entitle them to a job which they cant be fired from?

or does it entitle them to hold the whole country ransom??

No I think that rules should be put in place if they aren't doing the job.

The country up for ransom, please get of your high horse the government are trying to hold them up for ransom, why should the public sector workers pay for the mistakes of the banks and developers?

As many said there should be equality in terms of tax. The government just want to keep taxes "down" and increase the number stealth taxes. Stop being fooled by FF into thinking that we are a low tax economy or that we can afford to be a low tax economy, if you have low taxes be prepared for high stealth taxes. (High stealth taxes takes money from the consumer to shop in retail outlets or to have buying power).

Making Teachers, Nurses, Doctors and Gards redundant won't help the economy, they will all be on the dole. Same goes for all public workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ulysses32

A teacher without tea would just be a cher!

jenzz wrote: »
    How did they hold the whole country to ransom ?

dont cut our wages or "else" < insert from below > :

* your house would burn down
    * your house can stay flooded
    * your kids wont get educated
    * your operation can wait
    * your passport can wait
    * crimes wont be investigated and judged
    etc etc

thats what i call holding the country ransom

now if we could replace the people who are striking with people who are willing to work

that wont be holding the country ransom

Or maybe a cher BA HDE!

Exactly - more job losses more dole queues.

Anyway my point is teachers arent the only ones striking. Give mrs O brien in rang 5 a break - she didnt cause this mess, she didnt iniate the strike, she does a great job & they deserve a clap on the back for the job they do.

At the school gate this morning I overheard 2 parents: " & that stupid dosey c... out on strike yesterday, cheek of her. All the money she gets. Stupid B. & they were wrecking my head all day - noise from that f..in x box all day. Ill be f..ing askin her when I go in did she enjoy her day off . & she'd the f..in cheek to give them homework while she scratched herself for the day"

Thats what they are up against ! ( that was after scooping jaw off ground)

* your passport can wait
    etc etc

All emergencies were taken care of.

The government continued over the last ten years to hold us all up for ransome:-

*those extra fire fighter we could afford well no we won't employ them
    *planning for floods ah come on we have a temerate climate no need to have plans of action
    *Small class sizes no problem, when the election is on but we don't have any real interest
    *More doctors and nurse trained in our colleges, so that we can reduce waiting list nah sure private hospitals will pay and you'll pay for your health insurance.
    *Passport you want your passport, one day doesn't change the 5 day wait.
    *More police, more customs officers, more judges, reductions in crime sure FG and FF will get them no problem

A LOT DONE, A **** LOAD MORE DO TO.
    now if we could replace the people who are striking with people who are willing to work

Yeah I will just get those untrained non professional nurses to look after you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i would love to try it out!

would love to teach Junior Cert Maths or Geography......mqybe venture into leaving cert Geography.

* your passport can wait
    etc etc

thats what i call holding the country ransom

that wont be holding the country ransom

I WOULDNT BE A TEACHER FOR ALL THE TEA IN CHINA...
    teachers - can only see them being responsible for educating kids!, They dont do floods, issue passports , operate, investigate crimes..

This is another of my points the public sector is not just muinteoirs so give them a break .,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

30 little loopers in my charge for 6 hours a day, correcting homework. teaching them. verbal abuse from parents, physical abuse from parents, assaults from parents. Parents forgetting to collect kids, prep for tomorrow, board meetings, parents assoc meetings, calls to parents, union jazz, striking. Arts for the classroom, research -
    I ref rugby matches every weekend. Also has 30 loopers, also get a lot of abuse from sidelines. I do it all for free for the love of the game.

I don't co-ordinate with parents or have to wait for them to pick up their kids. But the coaches do. And they also do it for free.

There's a major culture problem in this country. The public service is no exception.

kceire wrote: »

would love to teach Junior Cert Maths or Geography......mqybe venture into leaving cert Geography.

Now is the time to train

http://www.pac.ie/hdip.php

I ref rugby matches every weekend. Also has 30 loopers, also get a lot of abuse from sidelines. I do it all for free for the love of the game.

I don't co-ordinate with parents or have to wait for them to pick up their kids. But the coaches do. And they also do it for free.

There's a major culture problem in this country. The public service is no exception.

It is their career not a hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

hmmmm
    Twenty four.

kceire wrote: »

Good on ya

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Add to that
    -Physical abuse from pupils. Teacher in my secondary school had his jaw broken with a punch, pupil was expelled. His parents screamed blue murder over the "injustice" of it all.
    -In my primary school, teachers had to patrol the toilets to stop dirty protests
    -Allegations of sexual assault against teacher, pupil later admitted that they were fabricated
    -Pupils tried to burn down the school
    -Pissing and sh1tting on the floor. Getting up on the teacher's desk, squatting down and having a sh1te on it before she came in.

Lots of other stuff too. And this was not in an inner city school either.

I have a sneaking suspicion teachers all over the country do this for free too, or are all those colleges, sciath na scoil results in the newspapers fantastical wonderings of journalists?

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Add to that
    -Physical abuse from pupils. Teacher in my secondary school had his jaw broken with a punch, pupil was expelled. His parents screamed blue murder over the "injustice" of it all.

Maybe the teacher provoked the child with their condescending know it all attitudes?

maybe the child was extremely frustrated by teachers teaching style and felt he was being left behind and as they tend to be quiet young lashed out in a moment of stupidity?

it's never right, but there's usually a lot more going on behind these stories, but it's easier to just blame the child.
    BrianD3 wrote: »
    Lots of other stuff too. And this was not in an inner city school either.

not an inner city school's lets make a blind sweeping generalization about pupils who attend these are they're all from the "rough" side of the tracks

nice balanced argument :rolleyes:

ntlbell wrote: »
    Maybe the teacher provoked the child with their condescending know it all attitudes?

maybe the child was extremely frustrated by teachers teaching style and felt he was being left behind and as they tend to be quiet young lashed out in a moment of stupidity?

it's never right, but there's usually a lot more going on behind these stories, but it's easier to just blame the child.

No but when you do lash out expect consequences, if hopefully the social services are called and a full investigation is carried out.

Just because someone is condescending to you doesn't mean you break their jaw. It's 5 years of your life perhaps the teacher is condescending towards you is because they have seen it all before and are sick and tired of trying to bash their head against a wall.

Its time people got over their impression that teachers talk down to students.
    Perhaps if students acted a little more like adults.

• Advertisement

Perhaps if students acted a little more like adults.

I didn't know schoolkids were adults. Better tell my 6 year old to pull her finger out and get a job...

Advertisement