Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ATA harddrive issue

• 25-11-2009 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey folks, not much of a techie so bear with me :)

Long story short - the sister is college has lost a very important project due for next Monday because it's not backed up (I know, I know).

Anyway, every time she switches on the pc she gets

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system
    You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cd-rom
    Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"

We're trying to track down the original cd but would a replacement one do? It's Windows XP Home Edition she needs. I suggested downloading it and putting it on a blank cd but I don't even know if that's feasible.

She can't take out the harddrive and put it into another pc because it's an old one. I take it this means an ATA harddrive. So the other suggestion I got was get an ATA->SATA enclosure? Are these readily on sale in places like Maplin and PC World. Both rang out when I tried them.

Any suggestions or ideas would be most welcome, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You can use any XP CD - you just need to get to the recovery console.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

TRY reboot hold down f8 ,go to safe mode,load in safe mode, or directory services restore mode ,or safe mode load without network drivers,use arrow keys to choose load choice.
    THE hard drive is ata =ide drive you can buy ide caddy from peats or pc shop 30euro .
    Or ask a friend to go to here http://www.ntfs.com/
    download activebootdisk demo to a pc with a cdwriter.install on the pc.use jmageburn to burn the iso image to a cdr.Set your sis s pc 2boot from cd/dvd thru the bios boot options,cd=drive o,=1st boot device.USE XP cd thats the same type eg xp home edition.IF YOU are not sure re,drive type get a sata/ide
    cable 40euro.That prog loads a xp os from the cdr ,lets you copy any file to a usb key.
    See here http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1643

SEE here ata=ide ,caddy http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=26066&sid=14&cid=116&scid=8137
    powercity have 4gigabyte usb drive ten euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

gamer wrote: »
    SEE here ata=ide ,caddy http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=26066&sid=14&cid=116&scid=8137
    powercity have 4gigabyte usb drive ten euro.
    +1

Or something like this. First things first; get the project off there before changing anything further.

I think you can buy those cables in peats/maplins or pcworld ,cost appox 37 euro,s if you are in a hurry.

• Advertisement

1st try turn on pc holdown f8 safe mode menu, directory services restore ,use arrows up,down,enter to confirm choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Guys -I've seen this a number of times. There's no need to buy anything - it's a corrupt registry which can be repaired. Boot off any XP cd and get to the recovery console - then follow the instructions in the link from my post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Macros42 wrote: »
    Guys -I've seen this a number of times. There's no need to buy anything - it's a corrupt registry which can be repaired. Boot off any XP cd and get to the recovery console - then follow the instructions in the link from my post above.
    We've all seen it. I've just never seen it fixed correctly. Your suggestion is valid, I was just saying that he should recover his sister's project as a priority.

I AGREE,it should be easier to use winxp cd ,and R command to fix the registry,i
    just want him to know usbto ide cables are avaidable if it comes to that scenario,or if the registry is unfixable.
    HE may not have the expertise to download the activebootdisk and burn an iso
    to cdr.

• Advertisement

IF YOU ARE IN A HURRY you could get the latest issue of linux format,with a linux cd os on the front,from easons.And boot up the pc ,insert cd into drive,reboot.You can get to bios by pressing del key or one of the f function keys ,eg f7 ,f11 THEN SET BOOT OPTIONS CDROM=0 DRIVE , 1st bootdrive=dvd/cdrom .THIS should enable you to acess any file on the hardrive copy it to a usb, you can use search function eg search thesis1.doc on drive c.
    LINUX now has full gui graphical os interface with usb and mouse support built in,plug in usb or ps2 mouse be4 you turn on the pc,it may not have touchpad drivers 4your pc.
    GOOGLE how to boot from linux cd ubuntu ,or ubuntu os screenshots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 themucaro

Spot on lads, got sorted! Thanks!

Advertisement