Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a camera whilst in Hong Kong

• 25-11-2009 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am in Hong Kong and am considering buying a mid-ranged camera (DSLR). Has anyone here done the same and can offer me some advice, dos, don'ts?

If I did go for it, what do you think of the Nikon D60? Or should I just go for the more expensive D90?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

not sure about the model but if you're brave and fancy a bit of haggling head for Nathan Road. if you want the easy route stick to the big name stores like Fortress, probably not much difference in the price and you know you're not getting an empty box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

If you can afford a D90, I recommend it over the D60. The D90 has quite a few upgrades compared to the D60. Not the least of which is the fact that it has the AF motor in the body. Which means you can buy the full ranges of lenses that fit the the modern D series and use AF.

Oh yeah, I have a D90.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

Did any of you buy in Hong Kong?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

hallelujah wrote: »
    Did any of you buy in Hong Kong?

My first Nikon SLR was purchased in Hong Kong. The Body, a 50mm & 200mm Primes.

That was back in 1972 & I think things may have changed a bit since then.

HK used to be the place to buy Camera Gear & I hear that if you do your research well it can still be. Good luck with it.

If you can afford the extra for the D90 then get it, if not the D60 is a fine body but missing the AF Motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

just compacts, so nothing fancy, but i spend a couple of weeks a month there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Not camera bodies but lenses because of the international warranty. Walk away if a shopkeeper tells you that they can have your lens in the shop within 30 minutes, all good shops stock them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

Avoid Nathan Rd / Ferry Terminal / Prince Edward area - lots of knock offs and credit card scams :-(

Mong Kok has huge electronics shops so worth a look. Also Fortress world sell last-season stuff at a significant discount.

Advertisement