Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vasectomy

• 25-11-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Would you get one? No matter how many kids I had I could never do it. I wouldn't feel like a man anymore :o.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Yea, probably. I actually thought about having one a few years back to ensure I don't have kids. I'm still young, 23, and don't have kids, and don't want kids. But my mind could change in 10 years.

Why would it make you feel like less of a man? Unless you were to look at your ejaculation through a microscope, you wouldn't notice a difference. You still have your balls. Your testes still produce sperm, but they are blocked from mixing with the Seminal fluid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

My dog got one and he hasnt been the same since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dekbhoy wrote: »
    My dog got one and he hasnt been the same since
    I hope you're not being serious :) Dogs and cats are neutered, i.e. have the testes removed altogether, thus also removing the source of testoserone which causes the behavioural changes. A vasectomy merely cuts the tube from the testes to prevent sperm being released. The prostate and the Cowper's gland carry on producing fluid as before, there's just no sperm in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

LD 50 wrote: »
    Why would it make you feel like less of a man? Unless you were to look at your ejaculation through a microscope, you wouldn't notice a difference. You still have your balls. Your testes still produce sperm, but they are blocked from mixing with the Seminal fluid.
    I don't know really. I think my reason for being here is to reproduce and I wouldn't feel right if I knew i couldn't even if I already had kids. Sad thinking I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

hunter164 wrote: »
    I don't know really. I think my reason for being here is to reproduce and I wouldn't feel right if I knew i couldn't even if I already had kids. Sad thinking I know.
    Exactly.Its Psychological!!!!!!Im with you bro!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

No probs. 15mins with Dr Willie in Knocklyon.

We did first have all party talks at which time decommissioning was agreed;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Harvardrvr

I agree, I had mine done 8 years ago. Has not changed anything, except I know I will not be getting any unwanted surprises. Kind of adds to the enjoyment !!
    Just a tip, don't do it with a local, have a general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You'll probably feel different if/when you have kids. From what I've heard, there's a certain amount of "OK, my reproducing is complete, no more please" after the nth child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I had mine done in August, Was long planned for and aside from the smell of cooking pork while the little bit of cauterization of the vas deferns was done......Not at all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

banie01 wrote: »
    I had mine done in August, Was long planned for and aside from the smell of cooking pork while the little bit of cauterization of the vas deferns was done......Not at all bad.

Mmmmmmm Bacon.....

I will get it done one day I think, but not until I am older and have a firmer grasp on whether or not I want kids. I don't think I do ever want them. But that could change! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mmmmmmm Bacon.....)

Thats exactly the thought that went through my mind when it was being done!!(Ala Homer :pac:)
    I have one child and thats my lot!
    I love my Son dearly and after I was widowed, my love for him is what pulled me through the dark days :)
    But I'd always only planned on having one, so it was an easy choice to make :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Would you get one? No matter how many kids I had I could never do it. I wouldn't feel like a man anymore :o.
    I can't really understand this tbh.

Does wearing a condom make you feel like less of a man?

Ability to reproduce hasn't got anything to do with my identity, personally. Being able to ejaculate semen containing sperm will be useful about twice in my life ever and is and will be a huge source of stress and worry all other times. If I could have a safe, fully reversible vasectomy right now, which I'd reverse to have kids and then get done again, I would have it done without a second thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

I was only having this conversation with my girlfriend the other day. If it came down to it in years to come that we didn't want any more kids then yes I would do it. It's a much smaller operation than a woman getting her tubes tied. It would be selfish to want her to do that when the man's operation isn't as much of a bigger deal. Definitely something I'd look in to if the time came, I don't see the problem with it. As for feeling like less of a man, that baffles me to be honest, it's not like you're getting it cut off! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭redorblack

Am I missing something here? Why would anyone want to do anyting to their body, surely you have control what youre doing and it doesn't have a mind of its own. Whats wrong with using a condom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

redorblack wrote: »
    Whats wrong with using a condom?
    Condoms are just hassle and not 100% safe.
    Plus they are not the best for fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

My thoughts are.

You may aswell become a Unique.....

not a chance in hell am i getting my crown jules medeled with the thoughts make me squirm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Nope.

Or at least, I'd get one if I decided to, not because I was expected or asked to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Just to point out that the options for a couple who have decided they want no more children are:

1. Continue to use condoms or other physical barrier contraception
    2. The woman to continue using the pill until she hits menopause (usually mid-50s)
    3. The man to undergo a vasectomy
    4. The woman to undergo tube litigation or have coils inserted into her fallopian tubes.

Have I missed any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

taconnol wrote: »
    Just to point out that the options for a couple who have decided they want no more children are:

1. Continue to use condoms or other physical barrier contraception
    2. The woman to continue using the pill until she hits menopause (usually mid-50s)
    3. The man to undergo a vasectomy
    4. The woman to undergo tube litigation or have coils inserted into her fallopian tubes.

Have I missed any?
    5. Hysterectomy (It's an option, even if it's not a good one!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

seamus wrote: »
    5. Hysterectomy (It's an option, even if it's not a good one!)
    Yikes...in that case so is castration. (eep, yuk)
    Abstinence.

You filthy, filthy people.
    Filthy...but realistic :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have I missed any?

Do it standing up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Enough faffing about. Keep it sensible.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Ahem, I suppose my point is there are limited options and if one party point blank rules out an option, it can force the other person into having to take on the burden of contraception.

Ahem, I suppose my point is there are limited options and if one party point blank rules out an option, it can force the other person into having to take on the burden of contraception.
    This has been the case up until recently, and in some cases still is. For years men were the ones who had to worry about protection, condoms. Women would rarely have them, relying on the guy to have them.

This has been the case up until recently, and in some cases still is. For years men were the ones who had to worry about protection, condoms. Women would rarely have them, relying on the guy to have them.
    Indeed, but that was before any female contraceptions were invented (assuming you mean up until 1960). I can assure you that women most certainly did worry about protection, given that they could end up pregnant.

But I'm more talking about the decisions that a couple have to make when they decide they don't want any more kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

That's a good point. I think that trend has swung the other way though now? If the woman is on the pill, and if you don't use condoms in a relationship, then the burden is on her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I have two kids. It was understood that once we were done with the reproduction that I would be getting a vasectomy and was happy with that. The missus had two difficult pregnancies and was advised not to get pregnant again. As number 2's due date loomed I became filled with dread at the thought of a vasectomy - nothing to do with any perceived impact on my virility or masculinity or such, just that I found the finality of the solution daunting.

It was bizarre, I was wracking my brain to find a get out clause but with my wife's difficulties the only realistic possibility for more kids would have been with somebody else :eek: not what you should to be thinking about with a wife due to give birth to your second daughter!

In the end the doc decided on a Caesarian for the birth and did the ligation while he was in there so I never had to come to a final decision on the matter. I reckon if it came to it I would, of course, have gotten it done but my sudden reluctance was a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Tweeter

Got it done almost 5 years ago now (have 3 kids by the way)
    The best money I have ever spent, no question.
    Myself and my wife are now carefree and worryfree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Tweeter wrote: »
    Got it done almost 5 years ago now (have 3 kids by the way)
    The best money I have ever spent, no question.
    Myself and my wife are now carefree and worryfree.

+1 (but 8 years ago).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

dobsdave wrote: »
    +1 (but 8 years ago).
    +2 (15 years ago)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭St James

Its a painless quick job. no need to take time off work, you could get it done during a lunch break. theres a bit of tenderness for a few days.

precautions need to be taken for the first 20 or so shags thereafter, condom or play with yourself, then you can do it whenever you want, without the fear or worry of a pregnancy.

brings the spontaneity back into the relationship.

downside is that it must be treated as final - no point in wanting another child after getting the job done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 regsoc

Ahem.... can I just say... it is not painless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

My wife is due our 4th child in early Feb. and I need to get it done:D.

How long is the waiting list for this proceedure and does it matter if you have a health plan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I had it done a few months ago. I'm married with 2 kids and all done with the having kids thing. In fact my wife asked me if I would get it done a week after our second was born. It was done using a local and a Valium and it was painless except some discomfort and recovery was very simple.

It was one of the best things I have done in a while. I saw a couple of comments about it taking away some of your manliness. From my perspective is really boosted my manliness for me because I did something positive and really grown up for my relationship with my wife and for my family planning which I took control of. No contraception anymore which after 12 years of marriage is great and adds that spark of spontaneity when it's needed because kids take some of that away. No concern about a third surprise child and no need for my wife to undergo surgery or take pills that could screw up her system. I highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

suey71 wrote: »
    My wife is due our 4th child in early Feb. and I need to get it done:D.

How long is the waiting list for this proceedure and does it matter if you have a health plan?

Wait lists depends on the clinic you go to.

http://www.vasectomy-ireland.com/
    http://www.dublinvasectomy.ie/
    http://www.vasectomy.ie/

It's a personal elective minor surgery you'd need to check with your health plan provider.

Oh and it is not the same as a hysterectomy, it's the male equivalent of a tuba ligation which is not a minor surgery and has more risks and longer recovery time then a vasectomy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Smallbit

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Oh and it is not the same as a hysterectomy, it's the male equivalent of a tuba ligation which is not a minor surgery and has more risks and longer recovery time then a vasectomy.

+1 a vasectomy is considered a minor procedure and doesn't require a general anasthetic.

My ex refused to have a vasectomy for several years. I wanted to stop the pill for health reasons (family history with vascular/heart issues etc).

I eventually had a tubal ligation when I gave up askign him. I never really forgave him and it certainly contributed to me finally leaving him. Needless to say, new partner is very happy not to have to face the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

I'm considering getting a vasectomy as my partner has problems from the pill and the rod implant. One of the links above says 650 total, is this on par for all clinics in Ireland or should I shop around? I was think maybe combining it with a trip abroad if it's cheaper in Spain, UK, Poland, .... but then you need to send them sperm samples afterwards. And what if there are complications?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭St James

shouldn't cost more than €6/700 here and you have tax relief on the bill.

Still a bit pricey considering it's a 10 minute job under local anaesthesia.

£320 in UK limited offer at http://www.mariestopes.org.uk/Mens_services/Vasectomy.aspx but I haven't checked about the aftercare. Guess I could just mail samples over?

Girlfriend got chatting to some doctor from Galway over the weekend and it's seems he'll do it for 450, same as flying over to London and getting it done there.
    Pays to shop around :) 200 Euro saved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd consider this TBH and I have no kids. Dont want them, or at least at this stage in my life I haven't felt the need no matter how in love I was. I dont trust condoms and or the pill. Not enough anyway and I really dread the idea of getting the "Im pregnant" phonecall. Especially if it was as the result of some brief fling. So yep seriously considering this option and soon too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Do you have the option in this country to freeze your sperm "just in case" does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I know it's stupid, but I cringe at the thought... I'd never be able to go through with it. If my future wife/partner asked me to get it done, I'd probably break down crying, begging her not to make me do it...

I cannot see how it could not be at least mightily uncomfortable... I'm even getting psychological pains in my balls right now just thinking about it... Ouch...

Castration, vasectomy and circumcision... 3 operations that make me cross my legs in a protective manner!

DazMarz wrote: »
    I know it's stupid, but I cringe at the thought... I'd never be able to go through with it. If my future wife/partner asked me to get it done, I'd probably break down crying, begging her not to make me do it...

I cannot see how it could not be at least mightily uncomfortable... I'm even getting psychological pains in my balls right now just thinking about it... Ouch...

Castration, vasectomy and circumcision... 3 operations that make me cross my legs in a protective manner!

Once you understand what is actually done during the procedure, and how small a snip it is, its really not that big a deal. It's not like you're getting you're testicles removed, or a few inches lopped of your penis. I haven't had this procedure, have thought about it though, but I've probably had piercings that have hurt more. I can't get my head around how some guys have this almost phobic response to this procedure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

After thinking about it more. I suppose after having all the kids I want or whatever it would be nice to have sex without contraception to worry about all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Smallbit wrote: »
    +1 a vasectomy is considered a minor procedure and doesn't require a general anasthetic.

My ex refused to have a vasectomy for several years. I wanted to stop the pill for health reasons (family history with vascular/heart issues etc).

I eventually had a tubal ligation when I gave up askign him. I never really forgave him and it certainly contributed to me finally leaving him. Needless to say, new partner is very happy not to have to face the music.

This is actually the type of attitude that annoys me about vasectomy procedures.
    No one should ever be able to guilt/threaten/force another person to undergo a procedure, without their express willingness.

So you left this guy? What would have happened if he had the procedure and you still left him?
    He might want to start a family, with a new partner, and never be able to.
    Just because you wanted him to have the procedure is no reason whatsoever for him to have it, if he did not want to.

This may be a small procedure but it can have very large ramifications, for the gentleman and his future.

This may be a small procedure but it can have very large ramifications, for the gentleman and his future.
    So can taking the pill for several decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

So can taking the pill for several decades.

I do not force/guilt/threaten my partner, to have her take it. She does it, from her own choice.

Having a vasectomy is an operation, that is (generally) not reversable. It can cause major upset, if the current relationship breaks down, and the gentleman can not start a family with a new partner. Especially if he did not want the procedure, in the first place.

The trend that I see (and I could be very very wrong in this but calling it as I see it) is that women see this as the "easy" option to family planning, with no thought to the effects that it can have on the gentleman.
    All I will say is that no one should have external pressure on them, to undergo any medical procedure.

Edit* Also, taking one single line from my post, as you have done, really leaves it open to mis-representation. That comment was made with a specific meaning, throughout my post, which I have nearly had to rewrite here to reinforce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

redorblack wrote: »
    Am I missing something here? Why would anyone want to do anyting to their body, surely you have control what youre doing and it doesn't have a mind of its own. Whats wrong with using a condom?

my thingy is possesed by a dead porn star:D

but seriously yea just use a condom or make her take the pill:D they should know their place anyway lol joking joking i love i love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Smallbit wrote: »

oh my god:eek: are you actually for real??????????????

you left a guy because he wouldnt get a "snip"

its a very big deal. what if you where forced to get your tubes tied????

i realise you did get it done but it was your choice. he didnt leave you based on your decision. ever hear of condoms?? they can be used as an alternative to the pill. as can the male pill. in fact there are numberous contraseptives out there.

using that kinda blackmail is absolutly disgusting and in my opinion he is alot better off without you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement