Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB in a rented flat

Options
  • 25-11-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

I moved into a rented flat in september, I rang the ESB to get the account put in my name so when bills arrive at the flat would know it is for us.

When I rang them they asked for the account number which i didnt have so i rang the landlord who didn't answer.
    Since then I've sent him a number of texts about this as he has not been answering his phone to which i haven't had a reply to.

My flatmates say that we havent had any electricity since about 2 o clock today but the other flats in the buliding do (theres 4 in the building)

Bills have arrived for the other flats but not for ours so we haven't paid since we moved in.

Landlord isn't answering his phone again I've tried him twice and my flatmate twice.
    Any suggestions for what I do now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'd say ring the ESB, tell them the situation, and they'll surely set something up if they want to get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Only thing I could suggest is contacting esb and asking them is there anyway you can pay, explain your dilemma and surely they'll look after you. I'd possibly hold off paying the due rent until the landlord gets back in contact with you, I mean it is his duty to ensure the place is liveable and if he is not going to at least answer your calls then it may be the only way you can get him to contact you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ring customer supply and ask has a disconnection been requested for you MPRN. If they have, least you know, but their is a chance your main fuse blew so might just need 'Networks' to replace it. Considering the billing problem it would seem like you have been disconnected though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

jor el wrote: »
    I'd say ring the ESB, tell them the situation, and they'll surely set something up if they want to get paid.
    Can't argue with that. They'll deal for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do NOT withhold rent money from your landlord in protest. Your rent is a completely separate thing.

Ring the ESB with the MPRN number. State the case, and say that you want to start a new account on that meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

Yes, phone ESB Customer Supply at 1850372372. You don't have the account number or the MPRN number but the ESB will still be able to trace the account. It would help though if you had the meter number: the meter for your particular flat should be clearly marked - note the serial number on the front of it and give that to the ESB. They will then be able to identify the account straight away.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Thanks for the help :)
    I rang the ESB who confirmed we have been cut off as bills have not been paid for a number of months.
    I explained the situation they just said to ring the landlord.
    Since I posted yesterday Ive rang him 5 times, left 2 voice messages and sent one text message.
    Still no reply. :(
    I'm in college until 5 today if i haven't heard from him by then i'm gonna ring the ESB and beg:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

ESB said on fri first thing I would have to do is fax them my lease.
    The estate agent we had been dealing with did this for us.
    Didn't hear anything from ESB since sending it so rang them a few min ago and said it wasnt enough and needed the whole agreement?
    Estate agent is now not answering his phone so I can't find out what exactly he sent them.
    Landlord still not answering his phone.
    :(:(:(
    Really dunno what to do now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Uner the terms of your contract most likely your landlord is required to supply you with accomadation that is equipped with electricity and heating. It is up to you to pay the bills, however if he is giving you no means to pay the bills, i.e. account number then he is breaking his contract with you, in my eyes anyway. I know most will say do not hold the rent but I'm sorry that is what I would do, he'd soon be looking for his money, and if not Id just leave to be honest. I had a similar situation once, no response fromt he landlord for a couple of weeks, he was away on holidays and decided not to return our calls until he was back in the country!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dragonfly! wrote: »
    ESB said on fri first thing I would have to do is fax them my lease.
    The estate agent we had been dealing with did this for us.
    Didn't hear anything from ESB since sending it so rang them a few min ago and said it wasnt enough and needed the whole agreement?
    Estate agent is now not answering his phone so I can't find out what exactly he sent them.
    Landlord still not answering his phone.
    :(:(:(
    Really dunno what to do now

Contact Threshold or MABS and explain to them what's happened. They should have contacts that can get you sorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

At this stage, I think this is better suited to Accomodation & Property.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Lorelei

You can withold the rent what you cannot do is not pay the rent they are 2 different things. Write to the landlord address must be in rent book or on lease telling him that your are witholding therent until matter is sorted,.Keep back rent until then and then pay him his rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is there any other way of contacting the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Lorelei

Someone e.g.estate agent has the landlords address and you have the estate agents name so look up his address and get landlords details from him. Other people flats must have his address. Are you still without power after nearly a week. Is there electricity in the common areas? If so are you sure that the ESB is in the landlords name and not last tenant?
    Also ESB said they wanted full agreement surely the lease and the "full agreement" is the contract between you and the landlord (his agent) of which you have a copy and this would be enough.
    Threshold will definetlye be able to help. Tel in Dublin 635 3651 assuming you are in Dublin if not they will give you then number their website is www.threshold.ie
    I work as a volunteer with threshold and can assure you this is not an uncommon type of problem and can be sorted within a couple of hours if they ask you to come to them take everything with you. Rent book, bank details to pay rent into, letting/estate agents details, copy of all agreements, rent book etc.
    Take a note of your meter number.
    it actually sounds to me as this meter is not in the landlords name. But in that of the last tenannts, if all other supplies are OK then it is unlikely that he has missed paying on one account.
    In this case it might be a problem in that ESB want proof that the old account holder (last tenant) has actually left. In which case they are probably looking at a declaration from the owner that this is the case and you have nothing to do with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

One would think estate agents would have more time on their hands these days to look after the rental tenants that are their bread and butter atm.

Unfortunately, this isn't always so.

Advertisement