Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optimism thread

Options
  • 25-11-2009 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Just thinking that through all the bitching and moaning, whinging and groaning that we need to APPRECIATE our good fortune.
    This recession has been awful and I've been out of work myself in the last six months and now have no water or heating but I have a fireplace (and I have the internet) and a roof over my head and a little bit of money in my pocket.
    I just think YES cork has flooded and lots of us are without water and its very tough on the vulnerable in society....

BUT

lets just be a bit grateful for what we DO have!
    I once read a great quote and it has come to me in recent times "when you cant see the bright side, polish up the dark side and look at it".

(sorry if i seem a bit cheesy and as i am typing i have just remember that its thanksgiving in america soon but it only reminds me further that we havent been hit with the likes of hurricane Katrina)

Here are the things I am grateful for despite all the crap at the moment-
    I have a roof over my head, I have some great friends(who let me shower at their houses), I have my health for the most part, I havent been flooded.... there is a lot more but that comes to mind right now....

So, What do you polish up and look at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Optimism...Fcuk that!

The recession is sh1t, the flooding is sh1t, yes i have a roof over my head but whats the point when I'm jobless and in 3 feet of water?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

well i guess i am grateful for your limited vocabulary.:P

i am not saying lets pretend that things arent bad- I am simply saying lets not forget the good bits... is it really so hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭munstercork

Nowadays you need than your health and a roof!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

+1 on the friends who let you use their showers

Have a deadly next door neighbour who, because we aren't here during the day, filled up our water bottles for us :)

Live on a hill so wasn't affected by flood water

Still healthy and still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Things do seem rather pants but I agree with smiles and princess the more time you spend wollowing in pity then the more miserable you will get..Whats the point have a few bad days, say all is pants but then poke down the side of the couch for change and go buy a bottle of vino and celebrate or get your wellies on and go splashing in the rain or do something like helping out a neighbour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

To be honest I'm very happy with my lot. have a grand job that pays very well. I live in a nice gaff with sound house mates. I live on a hill which wasn't flooded and I have water.

Bill-e wrote: »
    To be honest I'm very happy with my lot. have a grand job that pays very well. I live in a nice gaff with sound house mates. I live on a hill which wasn't flooded and I have water.

thats great- so few people (me included) can be happy with their lot, its so easy to whine about how unfair things are but in the end we are wasting our own short lives....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Bill-e wrote: »

mm thats kinda sticking in peoples face just a little not being mean now honest

Milly33 wrote: »

I thought so too BUT i think Bill-E is just saying that he is happy with his lot- being content is saying life is perfect either.... its just accepting and appreciating.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Milly33 wrote: »

Point taken. I'm only trying to say that not everyone is in the sh!t, it just seems these days that all you hear is the negative things. I'm sure there are still people out there that are happy enough with things...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

I have no water at home, I'm so suprised at how easy it is not having running water!! When I heard it first I really thought this was possibly the worst situation to be in, but after the first day I realized it's not that bad atall!! I can see it being difficult for people with young kids, or the elderly but for most people it shouldn't be that hard and it's actually annoying to hear people complain about it!!!

Im grateful that I live in the northside, although we have really gotten the short straw this time being without water but when Cork does eventually sink I will be safe and dry on my lovely norry hill!!! :cool: I am also grateful for the dairygold water tanks and my aunty who lets me use her shower!!

Advertisement