Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Clásico (the original and best) Everton Vs Liverpool 29/11/2009 ko 1.30

• 25-11-2009 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Alright

that time of the year again, with Pools season almost over at this stage they will surely want to at least have something to cheer about this weekend.

Everton hope to have peanut back but long term trio Arteta, Jags, Neville are way off course, along with Anichebe, Vaughan and probably some others...:rolleyes:

Yakubu is still only about 50% fit since his injury, but is looking sharper with each game, and Saha is always a threat (even if he is injured..:p)

Liverpool injury news will be left to the Pool fans but Gerrard looks to be back and Torres just friggin loves these games, so chalk him down for one.

Let the battle commence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The original and best El Clasico?

1st vs 2nd in La Liga, both Champions League teams.....

vs

7th vs 14th in EPL, both Europa League teams....

You're having a laugh. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Archimedes wrote: »
    The original and best El Clasico?

1st vs 2nd in La Liga, both Champions League teams.....

vs

7th vs 14th in EPL, both Europa League teams....

You're having a laugh. ;)

but beyond the game of riches and robert murdoch lies the real game...:rolleyes:

Everton and Liverpool have been belting out classic games long before Barca and Real coined the El Classico.

Times are a tough on Merseyside, but you cant beat a good old derby. The 'el classico' is just a pussy game compared to it.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Form goes out the window and these games are always fired up to the extreme, to the max. Everton fans are rejuvinated by the rejection of Destination Kirky so the atmosphere at Goodison will be at feverpitch. I always get so nervous running up to these games but if Heitinga can keep Gerrard quiet, maybe break him up after a few minutes then we could snatch it with another Saha moment of quality.

If we forget what happened in the first half tonight....:rolleyes:

The question is will Moyes do the negative 1 striker at home thing.

Saha up front with Fellaini behind him seems the bookies favourite, but im not sure.

The jury is out with Jo. An impact substitute at best is all he is.

I reckon Baines will whip in a free kick, worth a pip. :o

Praying for Torres to be fit. He'd fancy his chances against Evertons defence.

Doubt he'll make it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Much rather watch Real Barca given the choice, especially if it was a choice of going to Madrid, Barcelona or Liverpool. Not forgetting how poor both Everton and Liverpool are this season.

Brutal season but more so for Liverpool than Everton I can imagine.

If you told Pool fans that they would be out of the title race in November and the CL also they would have mocked you.

Anyway. Form goes out the window for these games so it all depends on who has fire in their belly and who is up for it.

Id say keep well away from it from a betting point of view.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

greendom wrote: »
    Much rather watch Real Barca given the choice, especially if it was a choice of going to Madrid, Barcelona or Liverpool. Not forgetting how poor both Everton and Liverpool are this season.

Liverpool is a great city - not wild on madrid but eh It's probably something to do with quality beer for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

mayordenis wrote: »
    Liverpool is a great city - not wild on madrid but eh It's probably something to do with quality beer for me.

i like madrid but its barca > madrid > liverpool for me

anyways onto the match, everton to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i like madrid but its barca > madrid > liverpool for me

anyways onto the match, everton to win

Well Barcelona is undoubtably a more attractive city to look at than Madrid. But in terms of night life Madrid is way better than Barcelona. Liverpool, needless to say, doesn't even figure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Liverpool should win this handily enough, Everton are very injury ravaged at the moment, it's hard to see which battles they might win on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whoever turns up with the will to win this will win this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Its probably nearly a cliche by now, but I would love to see Aqualani thrown in for this one (if he is fit)
    I know Everton will be up for the game and everything, but they were terrible in midfield versus Man Utd, Carrick and Fletcher were given so much time on the ball. Let him in, let him get a tackle or two in on him to welcome him to the business and lets see what hes made of!!

(If Rafa would rather not risk a £18m midfielder in such a game, I am more than willing to fill in!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Also, the PL's grand classico is United vs. Liverpool, the two biggest teams in the country who have been fighting it out for a century.

Everton vs. Liverpool is like Atletico vs. Real, not like Barca vs. Real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Score draw. And I reckon a high score draw. Both defences are terrible so 2-2 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

PHB wrote: »
    Also, the PL's grand classico is United vs. Liverpool, the two biggest teams in the country who have been fighting it out for a century.

Hardly - how could a game that involves a team that hasnt won the League in over 20 years be the biggest game in the PL. The biggest game and the game that has the most influence in who actually wins the PL is Utd v Chelsea, by far.

Now back to the thread. I havn't seen Moyes come out after a match and publicly slam the players in ages. Last night he know the performance wasnt good enough against one of the worst teams in the PL. I can definitely see a positive reaction on Sunday especially it being a Merseyside derby at Goodison. Liverpool will want a positive reaction to their emilination from the CL as well so it will be an extremely hard, competitive match where someone will probably see red.

Liverpool are favourites but without Torres they are pretty toothless. Everton have massive injury problems as they have had all season but at least Pienaar should add some creativity to the midfield which has been badly missing. I honestly dont know who will win but heres hoping for a home win to kick-start Everton's season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Alright

that time of the year again, with Pools season almost over at this stage they will surely want to at least have something to cheer about this weekend.

if ours is over,

what the f*ck is yours?

PHB wrote: »

Fighting out what, for the last decade+ Manchester United have been in a different league than Liverpool.

you have only look to the trophy haul of their grandest players, Giggs vs Gerrard anyone.?!

SlickRic wrote: »
    if ours is over,

what the f*ck is yours?

now, now. Everton don't go into the season with the same hopes and ambitions as raffa does. :rolleyes:

But 8 weeks is pretty dire for someone who has spent so much money.

Warper wrote: »
    Hardly - how could a game that involves a team that hasnt won the League in over 20 years be the biggest game in the PL. The biggest game and the game that has the most influence in who actually wins the PL is Utd v Chelsea, by far.

lol, when utd were not winning anything for 26 years liverpool and man utd was still the biggest game in england by far not liverpool vs forest, not liverpool vs ipswich/villa/arsenal, LIVERPOOL and MAN UTD, just like in scotland when celtic and rangers were winning nothing in the early 80s, the biggest game wasn't friggen aberdeen and dundee utd ffs :rolleyes:

anyway the last time a chelsea vs man utd match influenced who was going to win the league was 2006

liverpool and man utd is the biggest game because liverpool and man utd are the two biggest clubs with history and tradition, man utd and chelsea have little or nothing in common

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm expecting an angry ****ing performance from Liverpool FC.

you have only look to the trophy haul of their grandest players, Giggs vs Gerrard anyone.?!

what i find funny is everton fans such as yourself trying to build up everton and liverpool as a huge game but laughing off liverpool and utd as THE big game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

what i find funny is everton fans such as yourself trying to build up everton and liverpool as a huge game but laughing off liverpool and utd as THE big game.
    The Merseyside Derby needs no building up.

Liverpool supporters need to get a grip and stop living in a distant past, in recent times the club have by and large won diddly squat.

And the current incarnation of LFC is lagging miles behind Arsenal, Chelsea and Man United. who after a mere 8 weeks into the season have almost certainly nailed the top 3 spots.

so, moving on folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Liverpool very nearly won the PL last season finishing ahead of Chelsea & Arsenal & over the last few years have regularly been competing to win the biggest competition in club football in the CL & have some of the worlds top players in their team.

using your logic Birmingham, Burnely & Stoke are bigger teams than Everton.

Liverpool supporters need to get a grip and stop living in a distant past, in recent times the club have by and large won diddly squat.

And the current incarnation of LFC is lagging miles behind Arsenal, Chelsea and Man United. who after a mere 8 weeks into the season have almost certainly nailed the top 3 spots.

so, moving on folks.

just leave it. you know what you're doing.

one blip does not mean we're lagging behind all of a sudden.

it'll be a tough game at the weekend, obviously.

i'm hoping for a reaction.

i'll stick my neck out for a hopeful 2-1 Liverpool. (N'Gog x 2)

so, moving on folks.

This post is like an article you'd read in one of the daily rags.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    This post is like an article you'd read in one of the daily rags.

I don't read daily rags, its the truth.

unless you can convince me that pushing Man United once for the title in over a decade and 1 CL trophy is a success.

The big winner is Benetiz, he will be lauging all the way to the bank as the club cant fire him or pay him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

1-1 draw written all over it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

so, moving on folks.

Ironic coming from the man who has taken digs at Liverpool in this thread rather than focusing on the game.

mink_man wrote: »
    1-1 draw written all over it!

unfortunately i think you're right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

2-0 to Everton if they play 2 up top 0-0 if not. a corner and free kick. At least 2 red cards also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

SlickRic wrote: »
    if ours is over,

what the f*ck is yours?

Everton's season is just beginning, and no better game to kick things off :)

Finally we have some actual wide players back. Let the central midfielders back off the wings..

I would imagine this will be the starting 11 for Everton:

Howard

Neill/Heitenga -- Yobo
    Distin --- Baines ----

Gosling/Billy ---- Rodwell
    Pienaar ----
    Cahill

Felliani

Saha

For the first time in a few years, I really cannot tell how this game will go. I know its a cliché, but I think the first to score will go on to win it. As usual, I predict there will be a couple of red cards to throw into the mix of the derby day drama :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

original?

aston villa fc formed 1874 v birmingham city fc (formerly small heath fc) formed 1875

or

liverpool fc formed 1892 v everton fc formed 1878?

:P

Helix wrote: »
    original?

aston villa fc formed 1874 v birmingham city fc (formerly small heath fc) formed 1875

or

liverpool fc formed 1892 v everton fc formed 1878?

:P

No disrespect to the midlands derby, but comparing your games versus the Mersey derby is not comparing like to like.

The Mersey derby is probably the most played in the world and different leagues to the midlands derby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

doesnt make the original though does it

first second city derby was in 1879... liverpool werent even formed at that stage

Helix wrote: »
    doesnt make the original though does it

first second city derby was in 1879... liverpool werent even formed at that stage

Should I say its the most Top Flight game in the world so.?

Again, its a different league to any midlands derby there ever was, of which there hasn't been many it has to be said in the top flight. (100 odd games in the top flight). with 20 years of a gap between recent ones.

If Liverpool were playing in the same division as Everton back in 1962 it would have been even more than the current 200+ games between the sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Big game for Everton, they really need to pick up some points to help get them out of their relegation battle.

Big game for Everton, they really need to pick up some points to help get them out of their relegation battle.

Saha could be fubared (again)

Hope Billy turns on the style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Who needs the victory more? Liverpool in the chase for a champions league place or Everton in their battle against the drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

but beyond the game of riches and robert murdoch lies the real game...:rolleyes:

I think that's fcuking hilarious. Rupert Murdoch and Sky are one of the main reasons why your league is so bloody strong right now. So it's a tad hypocritical to be saying that the Barca vs Real game is the one Rupert Murdoch and his cronies will be salivating over.

Although I do agree that the inferiority complex that you seem to have is completely justified, resorting to little digs like that is very definition of small time. Which is fair enough if you try to compare a club like Everton to the likes of F.C Barcelona or Real Madrid C.F though. Enjoy the high horse mate, and the notion that fat cat Murdoch won't have anything to do with such a pure and traditional game as the Merseyside derby. :rolleyes:

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Who needs the victory more? Liverpool in the chase for a champions league place or Everton in their battle against the drop.

Both need a victory equally I think.

No team wants to lose a derby and the winner will get a huge boost and hopefully if it's Liverpool will push on and get a run of wins together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Anyone who writes off the real El Clásico as "the game of riches and robert murdoch [sic]" needs their head examined. The rivalry between Barca and Real transcends football; go away and read about the Spanish Civil War, the suppression of Catalan nationalism and culture under Franco, and the role Barca played as an institution and symbol of the Catalan people during that time, then come back and say the same again, only this time try and keep a straight face.

As for the Merseyside Derby, I think it will be a scrappy affair and Liverpool will win 1-0.

eZe^ wrote: »
    I think that's fcuking hilarious. Rupert Murdoch and Sky are one of the main reasons why your league is so bloody strong right now. So it's a tad hypocritical to be saying that the Barca vs Real game is the one Rupert Murdoch and his cronies will be salivating over.

Although I do agree that the inferiority complex that you seem to have is completely justified, resorting to little digs like that is very definition of small time. Which is fair enough if you try to compare a club like Everton to the likes of F.C Barcelona or Real Madrid C.F though. Enjoy the high horse mate, and the notion that fat cat Murdoch won't have anything to do with such a pure and traditional game as the Merseyside derby. :rolleyes:

mmmmm

oooooooooooo kkkkkkkkkk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Fighting out what, for the last decade+ Manchester United have been in a different league than Liverpool.

No, they've both been in the Premier League

Giggs' trophy haul compares favourably against most players in the history of the game.

Gerrard's trophy haul isn't too shabby at all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

No disrespect to the midlands derby, but comparing your games versus the Mersey derby is not comparing like to like.

The Mersey derby is probably the most played in the world and different leagues to the midlands derby.
    What about the North London Derby the first match was in 1887 spurs where winning 2-1 before the match got called off:cool:

Going to be seriously scrappy think it'll be a draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

Everton's season is just beginning, and no better game to kick things off :)

Finally we have some actual wide players back. Let the central midfielders back off the wings..

I would imagine this will be the starting 11 for Everton:

Howard

Neill/Heitenga -- Yobo
    Distin --- Baines ----

Gosling/Billy ---- Rodwell
    Pienaar ----
    Cahill

Felliani

Saha

For the first time in a few years, I really cannot tell how this game will go. I know its a cliché, but I think the first to score will go on to win it. As usual, I predict there will be a couple of red cards to throw into the mix of the derby day drama :p

I reckon Moyes will play Hibbert for this match. He always steps up his game for these matches. Heitinga will probably play DM instead of Rodwell who needs a rest. Billy will start as he's one of the few rested players

I reckon Moyes will play Hibbert for this match. He always steps up his game for these matches. Heitinga will probably play DM instead of Rodwell who needs a rest. Billy will start as he's one of the few rested players

more like he's one of our only creative players.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Big big game - can't wait to see the line up.

It's like Rafa is a drug dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

My money's on Liverpool @11/10 good chuck of change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement