Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Clásico (the original and best) Everton Vs Liverpool 29/11/2009 ko 1.30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Lol, about 3 yards offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Half - time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Jammy Reds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

everton unlucky to be a goal down due to an OG. liverpool not doing much, everton not much better, pretty scrappy all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool are throwing the ball into the mix too soon and too often, whatever happened to possession? Gerrard is doing as little as he can possibly do, pity that Yossi is having to be protected at the moment otherwise I'd have him on in a flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Liverpool are very fortunate to be winning. Midfield need to get up and support N'Gog because he is incapable of taking on and beating a defender in the way Torres can. All in all Liverpool aren't playing bad. Have to give credit to Everton they are really putting it up to the Pool. Not surprising as it is a derby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

ntlbell wrote: »
    liverpool not doing much, everton not much better, pretty scrappy all round.

Normal derby match then so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool are throwing the ball into the mix too soon and too often, whatever happened to possession? Gerrard is doing as little as he can possibly do, pity that Yossi is having to be protected at the moment otherwise I'd have him on in a flash.

Nothing new there. I'd have Yossi on in his place for the second half, as if Yossi is fit enough for the bench, then he should be well able for 45 minutes.

Most of Gerrard's running seems to be done in the first and last ten minutes of a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hopefully we'll see Aquilani coming on (probably for Gerrard at this rate) and make the same sort of impact Lucas did a few years ago.

Aquilani on for 30mins and Yossi for 20 and i'll be happy out.

Really need that second goal, cause frankly, we keep scoring first and then conceding stupidly. I have no confidence in thi steam to keep a clean sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I worry though. It's physically impossible to keep that kind of pressure up for 90 minutes, hard to know which Everton turn up second half.

In my opinion a fantastic half which we have dominated but the only problem is the score line! We have dominated this half, played some brilliant football and created a load of chances which we should have scored from! We need to FINISH our chances, we could be about 3-1 up by now if we had. Fellaini and Heitinga are playing really good, especially Fellaini. His passing and tackling have all been good, he is always in Liverpools faces and it is usually him or Heitinga winning the ball in midfield then playing it to the foward or wingers and this is the type of performance he should be giving week in week out! My only problems our is the full backs aren't linking up well enough. You can see Pienaar is frustrated at times because Hibbert hasn't been supporting him at times. Same with Baines and Bilyaletdinov, I would leave it how it is for now but if it continues then I would swap Pienaar and Bilyaletdinov so he can have that link up with Baines and maybe Bilyaletdinov can put some better balls in because he would be cutting inside.

The defence need to keep concentration now too because if Liverpool score one more this game could be over and they are getting the odd chance. Jo is actually playing quite well although he needs to stay onside and Cahill needs to support him more. At the minute I wouldn't change anything just yet, give it 5 minutes or so and see how we do. If we keep this up, play like we just did but finish our chances and this game is ours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

A very subdued derby, not much happening at all. It's been all Everton, and I don't think Gerrard is up for it. Good to see Masch getting stuck in, he's been up for the fight over the last few weeks. I hope he doesn't leave, but I think he will.

I'd get on Aqua for Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

ya gerrard aint doing much at all but lucas has to come off. I haven't once seen him take a pass, hold the ball then pass it off. He's painfully weak and fellaini is up his arse constantly pressuring him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

mike65 wrote: »
    Gerrard is doing as little as he can possibly do, pity that Yossi is having to be protected at the moment otherwise I'd have him on in a flash.

the last couple of games, he has been really playing poorly - if he is still injured we are better resting him for the next half the season.
    Midfield need to get up and support N'Gog

the midfield is playing too deep, waiting for everton to attack, then catch them on the counter attack. :confused: At this stage it looks like we are just aiming for the 1-0 win.

Voltwad wrote: »
    I worry though. It's physically impossible to keep that kind of pressure up for 90 minutes, hard to know which Everton turn up second half.

In my opinion a fantastic half which we have dominated but the only problem is the score line! We have dominated this half, played some brilliant football and created a load of chances which we should have scored from! We need to FINISH our chances, we could be about 3-1 up by now if we had. Fellaini and Heitinga are playing really good, especially Fellaini. His passing and tackling have all been good, he is always in Liverpools faces and it is usually him or Heitinga winning the ball in midfield then playing it to the foward or wingers and this is the type of performance he should be giving week in week out! My only problems our is the full backs aren't linking up well enough. You can see Pienaar is frustrated at times because Hibbert hasn't been supporting him at times. Same with Baines and Bilyaletdinov, I would leave it how it is for now but if it continues then I would swap Pienaar and Bilyaletdinov so he can have that link up with Baines and maybe Bilyaletdinov can put some better balls in because he would be cutting inside.

The defence need to keep concentration now too because if Liverpool score one more this game could be over and they are getting the odd chance. Jo is actually playing quite well although he needs to stay onside and Cahill needs to support him more. At the minute I wouldn't change anything just yet, give it 5 minutes or so and see how we do. If we keep this up, play like we just did but finish our chances and this game is ours!

Edit: misread post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Was Heitinga involved in any way for the opening goal? :D:D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Will ye stop moanin about gerrard. Lucas, mascherano, kuyt and aurelio have barely entered the everton half in this match. Himself and ngog are basically the only people attacking everton apart from the lead up to insua's header.

And we also have carra launching balls to nobody time after time and even if these launches happened to hit ngog there is no support for the lads up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Voltwad wrote: »

In my opinion a fantastic half which we have dominated but the only problem is the score line! We have dominated this half, played some brilliant football and created a load of chances which we should have scored from!

eh no.

you've edged it.

at home.

don't get carried away there.

there's been no sign of brilliant football from anyone bar the reverse pass for your offside goal.

We could be 3-1 down just as easily!

danny, he's an everton fan...he was saying everton should be 3-1 up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

the last couple of games, he has been really playing poorly - if he is still injured we are better resting him for the next half the season.

Is he still injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Liverpool really underperforming, keeping possession okay at times but don't look a threat at all (apart from Insua header). Gerrard isn't playing at all at all, not fit perhaps? Neither backline looks convinving but fortunately for Liverpool neither are Evertons attacking players. Anyone else extremely impressed with Fellaini? Dominating that midfield.

Lets hope we get to see Aquilani come on within the next 20 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Get Benni on for Gerrard then and stick him down the middle.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Will ye stop moanin about gerrard. Lucas, mascherano, kuyt and aurelio have barely entered the everton half in this match. Himself and ngog are basically the only people attacking everton apart from the lead up to insua's header.

And we also have carra launching balls to nobody time after time and even if these launches happened to hit ngog there is no support for the lads up there.

Gerrard is the one that is supposed to be world class, and the one who was talking up this game for the last week. N'Gog is doing far more than Gerrard and working far harder than him. Remind me again which one is the captain that leads by example?

As for Carra's hoofing, that has only gotten worse since he lost Alonso to pass to.

It does irk me at times that regardless of form, Gerrard and Carragher seem undroppable.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    danny, he's an everton fan...he was saying everton should be 3-1 up ;)

Damn I edited too late.:)

Kess73 wrote: »
    Gerrard is the one that is supposed to be world class, and the one who was talking up this game for the last week. N'Gog is doing far more than Gerrard and working far harder than him. Remind me again which one is the captain that leads by example?

As for Carra's hoofing, that has only gotten worse since he lost Alonso to pass to.

It does irk me at times that regardless of form, Gerrard and Carragher seem undroppable.

Gerrard is clearly not fit. And there is no technical ability around him. Lucas, kuyt and masch cant keep the ball for more than 2 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Gerrard is carrying an injury is he not?

christ fellaini that was a ridiculous time to shoot, completely negating the outnumbering they had

The Muppet wrote: »
    Gerrard is carrying an injury is he not?

in theory no, he's supposed to be injury free, however he does just look unfit.

Masch has sprayed a couple of nice long range balls around today. Gerrard has passed directly to a blue shirt twice at least.

in theory no, he's supposed to be injury free, however he does just look unfit.

He needed an injection for the midweek game so he's not injury free.

• Advertisement

Yikes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Would have been funny if that shot from Pienaar went in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Nothing in that Fellaini incident for me. Waasn't intentional

Time to bring on Benayoun and the Little Prince

daithijjj wrote: »
    Gerrard is clearly not fit. And there is no technical ability around him. Lucas, kuyt and masch cant keep the ball for more than 2 seconds.

Masch got the goal so he has done his bit so far.

As for Lucas, well he seems no better or no worse today than he has been for most of the season.

If Gerrard is that unfit then he should not be on the pitch, as he has been poor since the first whistle.

His form even at the start of the season before he was injured was generally poor also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Gerrard frequently plays like this when he's fully fit. Like he's saving himself for some other game later in the day. Of course he often does one or two amazing things in the match to make up for it, but I do think he could put a bit more effort in.

Here's Saha

• Advertisement

He needed an injection for the midweek game so he's not injury free.

I'm not sure about that...I know he had injections, but i don't think they were pain killing, more muscle relaxants to allow the injury to heal. These are his comments anyway;
    "I felt very tired after the (Birmingham) game as I wasn't really ready to return," said Gerrard. "I'd done very little training in the three weeks beforehand.

"It took me two or three days to recover from that game but I have spent the past week doing strengthening work.

"I'm feeling a lot better now. I'm looking forward to the weekend. There's no mental hurdle to cross.

"I've had a problem in my groin that has taken a while to get over but I'm just relieved the second injection seems to have done the trick.

"It's a case of so far so good and the aim now is to make sure I get a good week's training under my belt so I'm ready for the game with City."

By the sounds of those, it looks like he considers the injury gone rather then just temporarily dealt with with pain killers.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Masch got the goal so he has done his bit so far.

As for Lucas, well he seems no better or no worse today than he has been for most of the season.

If Gerrard is that unfit then he should not be on the pitch, as he has been poor since the first whistle.

His form even at the start of the season before he was injured was generally poor also.

The whole team has been mediocre at best this season. Carra is getting worse by the week.

As for the reason gerrard is on the pitch instead of aquilani or benny, then maybe that should be directed at the manager.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I have to say for me that's a penalty.

I'm not sure about that...I know he had injections, but i don't think they were pain killing, more muscle relaxants to allow the injury to heal. These are his comments anyway;

By the sounds of those, it looks like he considers the injury gone rather then just temporarily dealt with with pain killers.

I read it somwhere during the week, Heres a link that also mentions pain killing injections.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1230160/Steven-Gerrard-convinced-Liverpool-save-season-Hungary.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Brilliant save.

He shouldnt of been allowed to save the second one.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

WHAT A SAVE!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

MAKE SOME ****ING SUBS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Everton are just not meant to score in this game..

Go on Tim, have a free header there.

Pepe you legend!!

I read it somwhere during the week, Heres a link that also mentions pain killing injections.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1230160/Steven-Gerrard-convinced-Liverpool-save-season-Hungary.html

tbh i'd say they're possibly making the same mistake. His quotes themselves state he was just gonna get a full weeks training in, which you just cant do if your groin is bad enough to need painkillers (I unfortunately have a lot of experience with this injury), You can barely walk for a day or two after playing on it, let alone get a weeks good training. And he does talk about the injections in a positive light which painkillers most certainly are not.

Speaking of which, Gerrard seems to have woken up a bit over the last 10 mins.

Yossbag on, please some Aqui shortly...

N'Gog starts a good break, Gerrard utterly wastes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Reina you beast :D. Make a change Rafa. We need some freshness out there. Can't see us keeping a clean sheet. Let's hope for another goal.

Yossi on for NGog, Kuyt up front then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this is yet another thoroughly inept performance.

verging on embarrassing.

i know a win is a win, given it's a derby, and given we're on a terrible run, but this is diabolical.

• Advertisement
Advertisement