Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Clásico (the original and best) Everton Vs Liverpool 29/11/2009 ko 1.30

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

5th in the league now.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not a great performance, but a win is a win. Everton could have had a couple with better finishing, but Howard made a great save point blank from Insuas header and could easily have had a peno for Yobbo on Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

daithijjj wrote: »
    You are being a bit liberal with the truth there kess :D:D, Kuyt has built a liverpool career out of that :)

Leave Dirk alone.

Today he is a god of a man. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yesssssssssssssssss!!!! Back in the title race!!!

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Voltwad wrote: »
    They say you make your own luck in football but Liverpool have nowhere done near enough to earn 3 points today.I give up, me.

we have our best performance in months and we still lose 2-0 to two jammy goals,even with a ****load of chances.

We did, we took our chances. That's what it comes down to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It was the other way around. Distin's pace and composure helped Dunne settle as a player and he grew in confidence having a solid partner beside him..

Distin was/is a leader, and one of the best defenders in the Premiership over the past 5 or 6 years.

I'd have agreed with you 2/3 years ago, but not now.His last year at Portsmouth and with Everton atm,his pace is gone.If Yobo gets replaced by Jags when he's back,he might look better, but over the first few months,he's looked very average tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Yay, beat them without Torres & Gerrard, must string a few wins together now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

but Gerrard was....

oh, i see what you did there! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

monkey9 wrote: »
    We did, we took our chances. That's what it comes down to.

2 chances, that were goals

but thats the way it goes sometimes.

turning point was the cahill header incident, it that was in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Extremely fortunate win for Liverpool today. Always knew it would be a scrappy game but I expected they would control it more. Crisis is by no means over judging on that performance. There is positives to be taken from it. We kept a clean sheet today and that will no doubt give the team some badly needed confidence. Gerrard was completely out of sorts today. Didn't want to be there at all. Whatever the problem is I hope is is rectified sharpish. Probably still sickened we are no longer in the Champions League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Very pleased, finally a bit of luck with the first goal and we came into well in the 2nd when Everton started to fade.

Great saves from Reina too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Gerrard was annonymous alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd have agreed with you 2/3 years ago, but not now.His last year at Portsmouth and with Everton atm,his pace is gone.If Yobo gets replaced by Jags when he's back,he might look better, but over the first few months,he's looked very average tbh.

I wish we still had him and not Lescott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Voltwad wrote: »
    They say you make your own luck in football but Liverpool have nowhere done near enough to earn 3 points today.I give up, me.

we have our best performance in months and we still lose 2-0 to two jammy goals,even with a ****load of chances.

'Pool scored twice and didn't concede, that's always enough.

As has already been said, goals win games and Everton were hugely inept in that department today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Well that was lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Kudos to Lucas and Masc, they are getting better as a partnersnip. That's your reason why Aqua hasn't been starting, though today and mid-week would have been the wrong games to throw him in.

Blackbrun will be the same, a war and not right for him, but he should come in for Fiorentina and stay in for Arsenal. But at who's expense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i wont say liverpool done enough cos if thats enough to beat Everton then the chants of going down from the liverpool fans were true. we were poor very poor we got lucky simple as. Everton can feel hard done by cos had the cahill header went in i feel they'd have pushed on for the win but it didnt and it killed everton off for us long before the second made it official.

Still i'll take it in bad need of a win. Is that a silver lining in arguably the darkest week in the club over the last 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    but Gerrard was....

oh, i see what you did there! ;)

ZING!
    :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Dickerty wrote: »
    Kudos to Lucas and Masc, they are getting better as a partnersnip. That's your reason why Aqua hasn't been starting, though today and mid-week would have been the wrong games to throw him in.

Blackbrun will be the same, a war and not right for him, but he should come in for Fiorentina and stay in for Arsenal. But at who's expense?

The Fiorentina game is perfect for him,i'd be amazed if he doesn't get a run out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I'm sure we'll have another injury or too to solve that conundrum by then. You're right though, it definitely wasn't the right match to throw him on, the pitch alone made it too risky since he's still building up his strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

shotamoose wrote: »
    I'm sure we'll have another injury or too to solve that conundrum by then. You're right though, it definitely wasn't the right match to throw him on, the pitch alone made it too risky since he's still building up his strength.

But I bet Jamie Redknapp won't understand that. Gimp.

Carra still looks ropey, his back header in the 1st have gave Bily a great chance. It's going to be a funny season.

Great result, fooking brilliant.

Not a great game to watch but who cares, the result was all that mattered.

We took our chances unlike Everton and kept a clean sheet which is rare for us this season.

Great stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

We didn't deserve that, at all. We lived dangerously throughout the game. A pretty awful performance tbh in spite of the result.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    We didn't deserve that, at all. We lived dangerously throughout the game. A pretty awful performance tbh in spite of the result.

Prob one of the most lucky ever wins and a score line that flattered to deceive.

I think it was the best Everton performance in terms of possession and ball movement for a while, but we have huge problems scoring goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Agreed. It's as well we where playing a poor side today as we are woeful at the back at present. Looks like zonal marking again ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Prob one of the most lucky ever wins and a score line that flattered to deceive.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Everton definitely deserved to get something from the game, but one of the luckiest ever wins ? Despite all of their possession, they created little.

Liverpool were awful, and their problems are definitely not behind them. Playing Mascherano, Lucas, Kuyt and Aurelio in midfield is incredibly negative and is probably the reason we created very few chances in the final third. You could see the improvement when Yossi and Riera came on.

And finally, on to Aquilani. People will say its a bad game for him to play in as its so physical. Well I think thats bull****. The lad made his debut over a month ago. If he was fit enough to play then, why isnt he getting more game time now ? Maybe if he was getting 30 minutes in every game, he would be ready to start by now.

One of the reasons we are where we are, is because Alonso is no longer in the team. If this guy is supposed to have the ability to fill his boots, surely its in our best interests to get him playing ? If he was fit enough to make his debut a month ago, and is fit enough to make the bench every week, hes fit enough to play more of a part than he currently is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Tusky wrote: »
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves. Everton definitely deserved to get something from the game, but one of the luckiest ever wins ? Despite all of their possession, they created little.

Liverpool were awful, and their problems are definitely not behind them. Playing Mascherano, Lucas, Kuyt and Aurelio in midfield is incredibly negative and is probably the reason we created very few chances in the final third. You could see the improvement when Yossi and Riera came on.

And finally, on to Aquilani. People will say its a bad game for him to play in as its so physical. Well I think thats bull****. The lad made his debut over a month ago. If he was fit enough to play then, why isnt he getting more game time now ? Maybe if he was getting 30 minutes in every game, he would be ready to start by now.

One of the reasons we are where we are, is because Alonso is no longer in the team. If this guy is supposed to have the ability to fill his boots, surely its in our best interests to get him playing ? If he was fit enough to make his debut a month ago, and is fit enough to make the bench every week, hes fit enough to play more of a part than he currently is.
    In regard to Aquilani nobody knows the situation on his injury better than the manager and staff so you me or the media can't judge tbh.

Alonso leaving with a disaster for the pool.

Everton created several chances, far more so than Pool.

Anyways, thats derby 1 put to bed.

I think it was the best Everton performance in terms of possession and ball movement for a while, but we have huge problems scoring goals.

You should have put it beyond us in the first half alone, shocking finishing mate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Your using the term flattered to decieve incorrectly too, bad day eh? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Everton deserved a draw at least

mayordenis wrote: »
    Your using the term flattered to decieve incorrectly too, bad day eh? :pac:

I have no problem admitting when a better team won, Livepool were very average, a 2 nil win was a joke really all things considered.

Billy should have nailed that open goal, and Papa made an unreal save from cahills nod.

on a different day it might have been different, but such is football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Blackbrun will be the same, a war and not right for him
    , but he should come in for Fiorentina and stay in for Arsenal. But at who's expense?

Is this Aquilani fella a footballer or a ballet dancer?

Second time I've seen that in here, first time Everton were gonna be too rough for him now Blackburn? Does 20 million not buy a set of balls anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Bandit12 wrote: »
    In regard to Aquilani nobody knows the situation on his injury better than the manager and staff so you me or the media can't judge tbh.

The point being made was that if he's fit enough to be on the bench he should be fit enough to play some part in the games. If he's not fit enough to feature what is he doing on the bench in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The Muppet wrote: »
    The point being made was that if he's fit enough to be on the bench he should be fit enough to play some part in the games. If he's not fit enough to feature what is he doing on the bench in the first place?
    I'd even be a bit concerned about having him on the bench tbh; there's a very real possibility that an opposition fan might shout something profane at him and he'd be reduced to a whimpering, quivering ball of tears. The emotional trauma could have him sidelined for weeks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Great, Jimmy Magee is commentating on the highlight on RTE :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can't stand the man..... Will he ever just retire?

edit

God my head is melted listening to him... mute

Memory man my ****ing hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

couple of games this season where pool get a beach ball goal,dodgy offsides etc and this time its us who get the luck and still we moan.
    We didnt play well today apart from Masch and Lucas(odd that everyone is calling for aqualini when these two did their jobs perfectly today)but we got the win and kept another clean sheet.
    Riera made a difference and keeping him and Yossi fit is vital,but lets enjoy the win for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Muppet wrote: »

I don't think it's anything to do with his injury at this point. I think its more that when we really should be having the odd game at least where we're comfortable enough in the last 20, 30mins, instead we're constantly backs to the wall, desperately hanging on. Thats not the time to bring on an attacking center midfielder with a lot of pressure on him. I really wanted him on today after the 2nd goal, just to see him, but I guess Rafa figured 10 mins today wasn't worth it.

I still have no doubt that if we're 2 up with 30mins left he'll be right on - if only we can just fuking put a game to bed early enough so we can take off one of the defensive midfielders!

Over the christmas period I see Riera playing a massive part though. Our best natural left sided player. Would love him left and yossi right for a while, to give kuyt a bit of a break and also shake things up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

back with a bang :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Headshot wrote: »
    Yobo, Heitinga and Hibbert have been brutal for Everton and saha has been very poor since he came on too

What game where you watching? Heitenga was execellent in the holding midfiled role. Hibbert had one of the best games that I've seen from him in an Everton shirt!

Yobo was awful though. Need to get Jags back quick to form that much sought-after partnership with Distin...
    titan18 wrote: »

Distin has impressed me very much so far... I was a bit wary when we signed him as I thought he wasn't an adequate replacement for Lescott, but Distin has class. He is very good on the ground with the ball at his feet. He gets his head on most things that come into the box. He has very good vision. I can't really fault him that much to be honest.

We really should have won that match with the amount of chances that we had, but we didn't put them away. The performance was a definite improvement on recent outings, but it's just that final act of putting the ball in the net that is alluding us at the moment.

I was particularly impressed with the return of Pienaar. 8 weeks he has been out and my god it showed how much we missed him. Himself and Billy in the team gave us so much more creativity than we've had in recent weeks. If we can get the Yak and Saha fit... we can get those goals and shoot up the table. Funny though... if we'd have beaten hull and liverpool we'd have been above liverpool today... we can still get back up there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What game where you watching? Heitenga was execellent in the holding midfiled role. Hibbert had one of the best games that I've seen from him in an Everton shirt!

Yobo was awful though. Need to get Jags back quick to form that much sought-after partnership with Distin...

well the game I was watching was where Heitenga couldnt pass the ball to save his life, the amount of passes which went astray from his foot was pretty bad

hibbert was no use to the pienaar in the attacking sense, did you notice pienaar giving out to hibbert for no support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Headshot wrote: »
    well the game I was watching was where Heitenga couldnt pass the ball to save his life, the amount of passes which went astray from his foot was pretty bad

hibbert was no use to the pienaar in the attacking sense, did you notice pienaar giving out to hibbert for no support

Heintenga was there to break up the play, which he did very well. Most of the time he then offloaded the ball to Fellaini or Cahill... I didn't see the wastefulness that you describe.

Hibbert and Pienaar were playing together on the same flank for the first time, so I would imagine that there would be some disconnect between them alright. Baines and Pienaar on the other hand have a great connection and work well together...

Advertisement