Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentary on Dublin?

Options
  • 25-11-2009 6:38pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭

Hi guys Im hoping someone can help me.

Ive seen a documentary set in Dublin around the 60's/70's with a guy going around telling stories about the areas etc.

Its based in inner city Dublin and was shown again on RTE over a few Sundays recently, and the one I saw was based on the Liberties Thomas Street Kevin Street area.

I cant find the name anywhere and would love to get a recording of the show for my Dad for Christmas.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The guy's name is Eamonn MacThomais.
    The series is called 'Dublin a personal view'.

I'm not sure it's commercially available.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

It's called "Dublin: a Personal View" was done by Éamonn MacThomáis.

Probably only place you'd get it is from the RTE as it's from the late 70's, so be hard to find.

BTW Kevin St and Thomas St are in the Liberties.;)

EDIT: spurious beat me to it. :(

Just incase you're looking for other things on the Liberties there is a recent documentary, was aired there on RTE a few weeks back.

Some info on it from wikipedia. I know this is available on DVD.
    The Liberties is a documentary film about the area produced, filmed and directed by Shane Hogan and Tom Burke of Areaman Productions in 2008/09. In its long 78 minute form 'The Liberties' includes 15 short films featuring local butchers, green grocers, boxing clubs, stone masons, street traders, evangelists, animators, tailors and local residents including Brenda Fricker. In September 2009 a 52 min version was edited for RTE Television and was broadcast on September 15th 2009 at 10.15pm on RTE One.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think it's also on YouTube. Didn't Rashers post a few links to it in the 'Historic Dublin' thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

It would be available but it would be illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

There was another decent documentary about Dublin from about the 1980s, presented by Shay Healy and Ingrid Miley. It focused on areas outside the city like Rathmines, The Hellfire Club, Chapelizod. Cant remember the name of it but RTE 2 showed it a few years ago and it was very interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There was another decent documentary about Dublin from about the 1980s, presented by Shay Healy and Ingrid Miley. It focused on areas outside the city like Rathmines, The Hellfire Club, Chapelizod. Cant remember the name of it but RTE 2 showed it a few years ago and it was very interesting.

Was that called 'Villages of Dublin'?

spurious wrote: »
    Was that called 'Villages of Dublin'?

Yeah i think that was it. It was very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What village in The Hellfire in? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

It's called "Dublin: a Personal View" was done by Éamonn MacThomáis.

Probably only place you'd get it is from the RTE as it's from the late 70's, so be hard to find.

BTW Kevin St and Thomas St are in the Liberties.;)

EDIT: spurious beat me to it. :(

Gav, are you sure that St Kevin's Street is in the liberties ;)?

• Advertisement

boneless wrote: »
    Gav, are you sure that St Kevin's Street is in the liberties ;)?

It's borderline :D Imo it ain't but some people think it is.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

The newer one is for sale on DVD in Roche's veg shop on Meath St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah it was aired again recently. Very good. Wish they broadcast it half as much as Reeling in the Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

wixfjord wrote: »

Ive seen a documentary set in Dublin around the 60's/70's with a guy going around telling stories about the areas etc.

Its based in inner city Dublin and was shown again on RTE over a few Sundays recently, and the one I saw was based on the Liberties Thomas Street Kevin Street area.

I cant find the name anywhere and would love to get a recording of the show for my Dad for Christmas.

There are 12 videos on youtube here - http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=55B4B4ADA4AF124D&search_query=eamon+mac+thomais

Des wrote: »
    What village in The Hellfire in? :confused:

Well it was about Rathfarnham that episode i think and they walked up to the Hellfire from Marlay Park
    bobbyjoe wrote: »
    The newer one is for sale on DVD in Roche's veg shop on Meath St.

The Villages of Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

wixfjord wrote: »

Oh I saw this one Sunday morning! Great programme, nice to see what the Liberties used to look like. Had some lovely shots of the old convent with their beautiful gardens and the history of Weaver Square, Clarence Mangan Road, Meath Street etc. Nice to learn new things about where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

The Villages of Dublin?
    No, the one Jack Roche is selling is 'The Liberties'

sillymoo wrote: »
    Oh I saw this one Sunday morning! Great programme, nice to see what the Liberties used to look like. Had some lovely shots of the old convent with their beautiful gardens and the history of Weaver Square, Clarence Mangan Road, Meath Street etc. Nice to learn new things about where you live.

Looking at the camera going up Meath St and theamount of shp still there today, like the butchers, the markets, think I seen the Bull Ring.

Attached is a bit of history on te area, robbed from one of the forums on dublin.ie combined with some of my own knowledge. Hope to get around to do a few pages more during the summer as atm up to my neck with college stuff.

Advertisement