Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young Photographer looking for work

• 25-11-2009 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Hows things

I finished a Level 5 fetac course in Photography last year and was privileged to get the opportunity to work with Sportsfile soon after qualifying from college,
    However due to the lack of work they were doing I became redundant last week.

My parent are worried because I dont have an Qualification in any other subject and are suggesting to go back to college to study another subject

I have been talking to a few students who are currently doing the photography course in DIT, and some have said it was no relevance to 'working in the Photography industry' as such, and to be honest im not into the Arty photography they teach.

I would love to get into Commercial photography mainly photographing cars, but am also interested in Photojournalism and Sports photography

So I'm asking for any ideas or help, where do I go from here? were would I start looking into these areas of work or should I start frest and go back to college to do another Subject?

Im 19 years old by the way

Any help will be much appreciated

Joseph

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Samples!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 joeyvw

Havent got a website yet so here's some on my facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=1557&id=100000208930516

and my sports portfolio

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=1557&id=100000208930516

I also work in Brubakers pub in Dundalk and take photos for the website also

http://www.brubakers.ie/Gallery.aspx

Hope this helps

Joseph

• Registered Users Posts: 45 blade912

Jobs of any sort will be very hard to come across in the next few years , if i was in your shoes i would do a course in business/accounting/finance but still do photography in your spare time because selling your images has got more to do with the business side of things .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

joyvw, bump this thread during the day, you'll get a lot more replies.

For me, photography is just a hobby so I can't help you but wish you the best of luck. Times are tough but people with talent will always find a way of making money ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

joeyvw, you might want to put your work on something like pix.ie or flickr.com, basically something that doesn't require you logging in like facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

a few tips
    - get a proper website designed to appeal to the people who you want to hire you
    - from your facebook samples, doesn't look like you've studied lighting cars, practice it
    - do a course in small business
    - for journalism photography, do some kind of journalism course
    - ask small local papers if you can go shoot some news stories for them (you probably won't be paid)

Advertisement