Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why don't car drivers leave their lights on, all the time?

• 25-11-2009 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

I heard a good while back, that there was meant to be a law, or guideline that requires all vehicles to leave their lights on all the time. And this makes absolute perfect sense, motorbikes are required to have their lights on non stop and it's even built into newer bikes that you can't turn them off.
    It's just so so much safer as both pedestrians and other road users will see your vehicle from much further away, i know that bikes are re and i honestly can't believe people drive around with no lights on. Anyone here drive with theirs lights off during the day?

Comments

I agree with you 100%. I always have my lights on - I drive a volvo so it's automatic but in my husbands car, mams car, dads car, my old car, i've always driven with the lights on. It just makes more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I never ever turn my lights off - I just go between parking lights, dips and main beams. Thankfully my car automatically turns off alll lights when you take the key out, regardless of the light switch position. None of those annoying reminder beeps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I drive with my lights on all the time

I annoys me when my parents use my car and turn them off! blah!

Though I think their car, with the ignition off the lights stay on. Mine is handy, if I turn off the car, lights go off so dont even need to touch anything! Dead handy!

I agree with lights on constantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

I always thought it was to help distinguise motorcycles as they are supposed to have their lights on??

Makes them stand out a bit from a distance when you see the light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I disagree completely on the basis that Irish people will always be O'Irish people.

They will not replace their bulbs, their bulbs will be misalinged or LHD cars will not have beam displacers attached.

I would agree if there were fines like in the US for missing headlights and taillights.

Im aware this contradicts what I said on another thread but this comment is about the fact people in Ireland barely know to stay to the left of the white lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

If people need other cars to have their lights on in the middle of the day so they can see other cars then I don't think they should be driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

On the contrary, I never drive with my lights on. I'm fine during the day, because of the sun and all that. Then at night I drive really slow in the darker patches between streetlights, and extra quick in the bright bits to make up time. Makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cian1500ww wrote: »
    If people need other cars to have their lights on in the middle of the day so they can see other cars then I don't think they should be driving.
    If people never crashed then we wouldn't need seatbelts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

In the nordics (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland) it is law to have low beam lights on when you're driving. All cars are equipped with automatic relays, that switch your lights on when the engine is turned on and switch them off, when you switch the engine off.

This is one of the reasons, Volvo's are like that. You can switch it off with a small screwdriver, but by default the nordic behaviour is there and luckily not many bother to change that.

In Germany motorbikes have to have lights on by law all day.

The RSA also runs commercials currently to encourage people to keep their lights on at daytime. The first RSA commercial that makes a hell of a lot sense to me.

I always drive with lights, because everyone else see's me earlier. Especially grey or anthracit metallic cars fall in with the road color and are very hard to spot.

Also in the dusk, it gets very hard to see cars that don't have lights on.

And then there's the idiots, that don't turn their lights on in the city, because they can see plenty and simply forget.

It would be a serious improvement to road safety, if it was made law.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Lived and worked in Germany years back and picked up this habit from driving on the Autobhan there. Lights on = other drivers notice you (and get out of your way more quickly). I use my front fogs too just to be sure! :p

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I use my front fogs too just to be sure! :p

That is SERIOUSLY dangerous however. Fog lights dazzle people coming against you, especially in rain.

If you want to use them, you should replace the bulbs with driving light bulbs.

Using fog lights in anything but less than 50m visibility fog is illegal in most European countries and there's a reason for it.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Xios wrote: »
    I heard a good while back, that there was meant to be a law, or guideline that requires all vehicles to leave their lights on all the time. And this makes absolute perfect sense, motorbikes are required to have their lights on non stop and it's even built into newer bikes that you can't turn them off.
    It's just so so much safer as both pedestrians and other road users will see your vehicle from much further away, i know that bikes are re and i honestly can't believe people drive around with no lights on. Anyone here drive with theirs lights off during the day?

I totally agree, and also stick a €100 fine in there for fog lights when there's no fog, and €100 for pulling in your car at the side of the road and leaving your full lights on

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

lights on=more petrol consumed one reason not to leave lights on all the time
    i think on bright days its pointless having lights on especially in the summer if people cant see other cars durin the day in bright light then they shouldent be on the road simple

Berty wrote: »
    I disagree completely on the basis that Irish people will always be O'Irish people.

They will not replace their bulbs, their bulbs will be misalinged or LHD cars will not have beam displacers attached.

I would agree if there were fines like in the US for missing headlights and taillights.

Im aware this contradicts what I said on another thread but this comment is about the fact people in Ireland barely know to stay to the left of the white lines.

I think he sorta means parking lights, not full headlights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

On the contrary, I never drive with my lights on. I'm fine during the day, because of the sun and all that. Then at night I drive really slow in the darker patches between streetlights, and extra quick in the bright bits to make up time. Makes perfect sense.
    Ha ha ha excellent. Can imagine someone trying that now for the laugh.

Marlow wrote: »
    That is SERIOUSLY dangerous however. Fog lights dazzle people coming against you, especially in rain.

Using fog lights in anything but less than 50m visibility fog is illegal in most European countries and there's a reason for it.

/M

Was only kidding about the fogs Marlow - couldn't resist! :D

byrner51 wrote: »

The extra use of fuel is minimal. And there is no price for road safety, really !! The stupidest excuse and it's raised everywhere, this law was introduced.

After half a year, nobody agrees anymore.
    i think on bright days its pointless having lights on especially in the summer if people cant see other cars durin the day in bright light then they shouldent be on the road simple

Check it out in the sommer. You'll see a few people driving with low beam (not parking lights) and notice the difference.

You'll be amazed.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

That's a ridiculous attitude! This will be enforced soon, and it's necessary. It's all about visibility, whether that be to pedestrians or other motorists. Is flicking on the lights such a problem? I don't understand why people don't do this.
    It's probably the same people driving around without lights when it's pissing rain, right we get it, you can see, but no one can see you in the corner of their eye.

/M

Werd

If i'm in a bad mood i usually full beam people who drive with fog lights on, one night some guy was driving up my hole and i done everything to help him pass. His lights were pissing me off(he had his fogs on as well) so i turned my back fogs on, to say he went ballistic is an understatement :D

KevArno wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous attitude! This will be enforced soon, and it's necessary. It's all about visibility, whether that be to pedestrians or other motorists. Is flicking on the lights such a problem? I don't understand why people don't do this.
    It's probably the same people driving around without lights when it's pissing rain, right we get it, you can see, but no one can see you in the corner of their eye.

Well then you shouldn't be driving :pac:

• Advertisement

I think he sorta means parking lights, not full headlights

No, parking lights are around 5W. You might as well switch your lights off !!

Low beam is what the law is in the european countries, that require it.

/M

KevArno wrote: »
    Driving with lights on in the middle of the day when there is poor lighting conditions is absolutely necessary. I can see all the other cars on the road during the day perfectly fine without lights, I honestly don't see the benefit of being able to see a car that's half a mile away, I'd be more concentrating on the traffic that's close to me.

Guess you don't use your aircon either then? :rolleyes:

It's a good habit to get in to be it summer or winter. I get in to the car, start the engine and turn on the lights every time. Also remember on a bright day this time of year when the sun is low and in your face it's another good reason to use your lights.

No, parking lights are around 5W. You might as well switch your lights off !!

Low beam is what the law is in the european countries, that require it.

/M

imo parking lights do make a difference, i dunno if i'd agree with low beams being used because there's so many cars with their lights pointing every which way

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

The extra use of fuel is minimal. And there is no price for road safety, really !! The stupidest excuse and it's raised everywhere, this law was introduced.

After half a year, nobody agrees anymore.

Check it out in the sommer. You'll see a few people driving with low beam (not parking lights) and notice the difference.

You'll be amazed.

/M

well every little helps as they say especially the way things are these days.

i stand to be amazed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

So why wear a high viz on a building site in the middle of the day? It makes them stand out. There are plenty of situations in day light when people without lights can be more dangerous, for instance last week I was on the n3 after heavy rain. Sun was shining and visibility ahead was good. I was driving in front of an artic. Checked my mirror to move into the overtaking lane and all I could see was spray from the truck. Left it for a second to be doubly sure when all I see emerging slowly from the mist is a silver car without lights on. He was sitting in the trucks blindspot for a good 2 minutes before I moved out.

imo parking lights do make a difference, i dunno if i'd agree with low beams being used because there's so many cars with their lights pointing every which way
    My Dad has a van at home which when fully laden blinds other drivers as the low beams are pointing more upwards. He often gets flashed at as other drivers think he has full beams on, conditions depending, low beams can indeed be quite distracting and blinding.

Was only kidding about the fogs Marlow - couldn't resist! :D

I'm more calm then. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Werd

If i'm in a bad mood i usually full beam people who drive with fog lights on, one night some guy was driving up my hole and i done everything to help him pass. His lights were pissing me off(he had his fogs on as well) so i turned my back fogs on, to say he went ballistic is an understatement :D

That's exactly a problem, we're faced with. As soon as it gets dark, some idiots turn every f***** light on they've got on the car incl. rear and front fogs.

I was really annoyed with a recovery truck today. Somebody that should know better as he's working professionally as driver and with cars. This guy left his working lights (white powerful spots at the back on the cab, pointing to the rear) on while driving from Galway towards Roscommon. I the dusk he's really blinding people.

Low beams are sensible, any time of the day. Fog lights, spots, high beam and other stuff is only supposed to be used if nobody is around.

And for parking lights, you might as well not use them. They don't increase visibility. They are for when you car is parked !!

/M

My Dad has a van at home which when fully laden blinds other drivers as the low beams are pointing more upwards. He often gets flashed at as other drivers think he has full beams on, conditions depending, low beams can indeed be quite distracting and blinding.

Maybe your Dad is carrying too much weight! :p

• Advertisement

That's because he didn't get a extra, that is called a light level adjustment. He might even have it, but doesn't know how to use it.

Most cars with tow hitch, vans, trucks are equipped with it. Some manual (wire), manual (electronic), some automatically.

I've got a VW Caravelle from '99 and that has it.

It just requires to read the manual and figure out if the van has it, and if it has it, to use it properly.

/M

That's because he didn't get a extra, that is called a light level adjustment. He might even have it, but doesn't know how to use it.

Most cars with tow hitch, vans, trucks are equipped with it. Some manual (wire), manual (electronic), some automatically.

I've got a VW Caravelle from '99 and that has it.

It just requires to read the manual and figure out if the van has it, and if it has it, to use it properly.

/M
    Makes damn all difference, the lights are quite high up to, about 1.5ft up from the ground so that doesn't help.

Maybe your Dad is carrying too much weight! :p
    I think it's just the way the van is designed, it's a Renault Master btw. He gets flashed at a hell of a lot, by right he should flash back as they're blinding him as well :pac:

Makes damn all difference, the lights are quite high up to, about 1.5ft up from the ground so that doesn't help.

So they would be wrongly adjusted then. The lights are designed, no matter at what height they are, if fit by factory, that they can be adjusted to accomodate for EVERY allowable load.

If his low beam blinds people, the van is not road legal.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

IMHO

Parking lights should be incapable of use unless the vehicle is stationery (ie parked, clue in the name guys)

Dip headlights should come on automatically when the engine is started and go off when it is stopped

and people who use front (or rear) fog lights when it isnt foggy should be taken out and publically flogged.

and dont get me started on those people who dip their lights 30 seconds after I do.....:mad:

So they would be wrongly adjusted then. The lights are designed, no matter at what height they are, if fit by factory, that they can be adjusted to accomodate for EVERY allowable load.

If his low beam blinds people, the van is not road legal.

/M
    Its been through the test twice now so they are legal. The load is sort of permanent (completely shelved) so the van was tested with the load. I'm sure you've often met a truck or van whose low beams have blinded you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Well then you shouldn't be driving :pac:

Grow up please, or get off the road.

corktina wrote: »
    and dont get me started on those people who dip their lights 30 seconds after I do.....:mad:

Nope. One should always go to low beam BEFORE the other car comes around the corner, if possible.

Some people unfortunatly need more than 3 winks before they even git it.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

All new vehicles will be equipped with dedicated daytime running lights from 2011 to increase road safety, the European Commission has decided.
    Dedicated daytime running lights are special lamps which are automatically switched on when the engine is started. The EU Commission claims that daytime running light substantially increase the visibility of motor vehicles to other road users and have a low energy consumption compared to existing dipped-beam head lamps.

EU Vice President Günter Verheugen, who is responsible for enterprise and industry policy, said: "the introduction of daytime running lights for cars, trucks and buses makes them more visible, which will increase road safety. This will make a positive contribution to our goal of reducing fatalities on European roads whilst being more fuel efficient then existing lights."

The directive adopted by the EC foresees that from February 7, 2011 onwards all new types of cars and small delivery vans will have to be equipped with daytime running lights. Trucks and buses will follow 18 months later in August 2012.

On vehicles equipped with daytime running lights, the lights are automatically switched on when the engine is started. When it is dark the driver has to switch on the driving lights manually. In this case the daytime running lights go off automatically.

http://www.galwayindependent.com/motoring/motoring/daytime-running-lights-standard-by-2011/

I've got aftermarket ones on my old van already (good idea when it's in camouflage paint)

I think it's just the way the van is designed, it's a Renault Master btw. He gets flashed at a hell of a lot, by right he should flash back as they're blinding him as well :pac:
    Maybe your Dad is carrying too much weight!
    That was a Double Entendre Cian! ;)

Its been through the test twice now so they are legal. The load is sort of permanent (completely shelved) so the van was tested with the load. I'm sure you've often met a truck or van whose low beams have blinded you.

Not really. I only meet fools using their foglights. And since I drive both a car (RHD) and a van/minibus with load most of the time (LHD, lights adjusted for driving in Ireland, lots of tools and in general quite some heavy gear in the back), I don't find that I get flashed by people who think I'm blinding them.

My lights are ok and work in the manner they are supposed to. They are on all day.

/M

• Advertisement

Not really. I only meet fools using their foglights. And since I drive both a car (RHD) and a van/minibus with load most of the time (LHD, lights adjusted for driving in Ireland, lots of tools and in general quite some heavy gear in the back), I don't find that I get flashed by people who think I'm blinding them.

My lights are ok and work in the manner they are supposed to. They are on all day.

/M
    Must depend on the van so, there's nothing done to the lights its completely standard and only two years old. It could be the weight but it's definitely not over weight as with the amount of mileage it's doing something would have buckled by now :rolleyes:

It could be the weight but it's definitely not over weight as with the amount of mileage it's doing something would have buckled by now :rolleyes:

Nope. That's unfortunatly the wrong way of seeing it. The Renault Master exists in different version for different weights (gross total weight). What differs is the suspension (shocks etc.)

The only way to find out is sticking it on a weigh bridge, when it's fully loaded.

As for the lights. Try park it in front of a wall (again .. fully loaded) in the evening and turn the low beam on. You'll see if it's way off then.

/M

Nope. That's unfortunatly the wrong way of seeing it. The Renault Master exists in different version for different weights (gross total weight). What differs is the suspension (shocks etc.)

The only way to find out is sticking it on a weigh bridge, when it's fully loaded.

As for the lights. Try park it in front of a wall (again .. fully loaded) in the evening and turn the low beam on. You'll see if it's way off then.

/M
    I really don't think it's overweight, you'd no by looking at it, it sits very evenly and there's a nice bit of travel in the shocks.
    It wouldn't pass the test if the lights were way off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I always drive with the dipped beams on during the day.
    The amount of driver's I see driving around even at dusk with no lights on at all is scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

I am suprised by the number of people on this thread saying they have lights on all the time. I am doing that 10 years and it is a force of habit for me when I get in to any car and I do it regardless of weather conditions. When I look around me on any road, there are very few driving with lights on.

It is much safer. I started doing this when driving home to Newbridge from Mayo and a car overtook dangerously and nearly hit me head on. At that moment I switched them on. A little later, another car on the other side again had a peek out and obviously saw my lights. He did'nt take the chance and he had plenty of room. From then on, I turned them on all the time.

Next time you are driving, have a look at a car in the distance with lights on and without. I always feel it is harder to determine the speed of the car approaching with it's lights on more accuractly, making you think twice and three times before an overtake and therefore making the road safer.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Next time you are driving, have a look at a car in the distance with lights on and without. I always feel it is harder to determine the speed of the car approaching with it's lights on more accuractly, making you think twice and three times before an overtake and therefore making the road safer.

I don't think it's harder to determine the distance, but it's different for people not used to it, true.

Now, for somebody used to people that have their low beam on at daylight, it's actually much easier to determine the distance and what happens is, that they know, they can overtake or not.

A lot of those "near crash" overtakings happen because people either didn't see you or can't estimate the distance properly, so they take a chance.

With lights on, there's no doubt and they drive safer, leave a better gap.

Bottom line. It is more safe to have the low beams on. Any time of the day.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

, I honestly don't see the benefit of being able to see a car that's half a mile away, I'd be more concentrating on the traffic that's close to me.

You should be aware of cars both close and at a distance (and DRLs help hugely with this) - the more information you have, the safer your journey.

On topic: I'm pretty spoilt. My car has both dedicated DRLs (i.e. not parking lamps) and automatic headlights. Since I flicked the switch to 'auto' about a year ago, I've never had to adjust my lighting (except full beam obviously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

I always drive with the dipped beams on during the day.
    The amount of driver's I see driving around even at dusk with no lights on at all is scary.

or in heavy rain with just parking lights :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Can't.....resist.....urge.....to....give.....out......about......incorrect......use.....of....lights. :mad:

How hard is it to turn on the dipped beams - and only the dipped beams? :confused::eek::mad::(

High beams, or 'brights' are for when there is no oncomming traffic.

Other lights have names, which should help people know when to use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

If it is dark or dusk I will have my lights on. If it is a particularly dull or raining I will have my lights on. If it is broad daylight then there is feck all reason to have them turned on, lights off, simple as that. There is enough hand wringing nannyism in this country, we don't need any more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement