Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Network Card repairs?

• 25-11-2009 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I have recently subscribed to broadband from imagine, using their "Ripwave" modem.
    I have had a lot of internet access problems from the start & was consistantly in touch with their tech support who tried various fixes, all of which failed. I even had a replacement modem send out but this was not the problem.
    I have deleted firewalls, anti-virus software etc etc to rule out any conflicts & then reinstalled.
    I have since figured out that if i disconnect the ethernet cable between modem & pc & reconnect, i can then get access to internet.
    I have been informed by me broadband service provider that my laptop (fujitsu) network card must be in need of repair as it would seem its not accepting new ip addresses.
    How can i get this repaired & is it costly?
    Is their an on-line tool that can fix this? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Start with something simple first; have you changed the ethernet cable?

Is the laptop in warranty at all?

What type of card is it (see Device Manager for details)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

When I first got Ripwave it kept going down regularly for sometimes up to 3hrs at a time. Got the tech support and all the pinging etc and everything fine. The one thing they NEVER said to me was, when this happens, is to RE-BOOT. It doesn't happen that often now but re-booting worked wonders for me.

Have found it very reliable apart from the above problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

danjo-xx wrote: »
    The one thing they NEVER said to me was, when this happens, is to RE-BOOT.
    :eek:

You have to reboot! It's like the golden rule of...everything! :D

When the behaviour doesn't make sense, reboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

You can buy a usb to ethernet cable 32e maplins,20euros peats .You can then
    disable the onboard network card in device manager.
    I went to peats ten days ago and it was out of stock.see here
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=usb+ethernet&search=Search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

r*oc wrote: »
    I have recently subscribed to broadband from imagine, using their "Ripwave" modem.
    I have had a lot of internet access problems from the start & was consistantly in touch with their tech support who tried various fixes, all of which failed. I even had a replacement modem send out but this was not the problem.
    I have deleted firewalls, anti-virus software etc etc to rule out any conflicts & then reinstalled.
    I have since figured out that if i disconnect the ethernet cable between modem & pc & reconnect, i can then get access to internet.
    I have been informed by me broadband service provider that my laptop (fujitsu) network card must be in need of repair as it would seem its not accepting new ip addresses.
    How can i get this repaired & is it costly?
    Is their an on-line tool that can fix this? Any advice appreciated.

I've had problems with Vista locking my network IP address and giving me persistant networking trouble(only on wired, wireless is fine bar the shoddy signal through several walls). Next time it drops try right clicking the networking icon and hitting diagnose and repair, if that generates a refresh IP option do that, may solve your issues. Its gonna create a new session as rebooting does, should work in theory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

OR try this renew ip adress http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht/renewipaddrwxp.htm,cos
    when you reboot winxp is forced to find a new ip adress anyway as the isp allocates ips to whoever
    logs on next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

gamer wrote: »
    You can buy a usb to ethernet cable 32e maplins,20euros peats .You can then
    disable the onboard network card in device manager.
    I went to peats ten days ago and it was out of stock.see here
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=usb+ethernet&search=Search

They are back in stock as of yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

OP, I'm half sleep deprived so I'm going to helpfull.

Open notepad and copy/paste the following into a new document.
    ECHO OFF
    CLS

ECHO. LUSER Note You Current Assigned IP Below.
    IPCONFIG

ECHO. Clearing ARP Cache
    ARP -D *
    ECHO.

ECHO. Releasing all DHCP Assigned Info
    IPCONFIG /RELEASE > NUL

REM Ping is to add a wait.
    ping 127.0.0.1 > NUL

ECHO. Flushing All Cached DNS Entries.
    IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS > NUL

ECHO. Clearing ARP Cache
    ARP -D *

ping 127.0.0.1 > NUL

IPCONFIG /RENEW > NUL

ping 127.0.0.1 > NUL

CLS
    ECHO.
    ECHO. LUSER Comfirm Your Assigned IP Below Has Been Updated If Not Then " PEBKAC ".
    IPCONFIG 

PAUSE

Now click File -> Save As,

Select Your Desktop and enter the file name as " IPRefresh.bat " and make sure you select "All File Types" under "File Type".

Now all you have to do is double click the new icon on your desktop and get back to trolling Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭r*oc

Tanx guys, all your help & advice is appreciated. I have copied that file onto notepad & desktop, tried it out & it worked.
    Super stuff, tanx again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

did you try setting a static local ip address?

• Advertisement
Advertisement