Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy AGAIN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

MickL wrote: »
    Unknown to the Match of the day fan,,
    not unknown to good football fan

what about a football manager fan?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

iv switched back for the liverpool Rant.. Wellbeck is highly rated worldwide.. and gibson has everyone talking in england..

Eh, by who exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

flahavaj wrote: »
    Great story about the Neviller when Michael Owen joined United and he was introducing him to everyone. When he gets to Wellbeck "Michael, this is Danny Wellbeck, he has something you heven't got, a Premier League Winners' Medal."

Legend.

Welbeck didn't play enough games to win a premier league medal.(according to wiki anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Ronnie Whelan...Living proof that you don't actually need a brain to make it as a pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

Johner wrote: »
    Oh come on what has Wellbeck done? He is unknown.

Exactly. I'm not knocking the guy he only a kid still. People seem to be taking "unknown" in the literal sense. It should be pretty obvious Dunphy was implying he isnt a proven top level player yet which to be fair he isnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That failed ex pro chip will never leave Dunphy's shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Johner wrote: »
    Oh come on what has Wellbeck done? He is unknown.

He is known. He just hasnt done anything.

one of his job requirments is to know players, not say he is a unknown,

Ah here, you dont expect him to know stuff do you?

That would be professional and and wouldnt involve making controversy for the sake of it or wildly inaccurate comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Dunphy: 'Manchester Utd are not going to win a major trophy in the next 5 years.' :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

orourkeda wrote: »
    He is known. He just hasnt done anything.

That what Dunphy meant though.

Anyone hear Bill using and example of players from Albania would chose Utd an Johnny Giles replied who wants players from Albania. I lold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Gibson is a bit like Carrick but not as good, he is like "Carrick-light" - brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

In all fairness the panel have lost my respect in the last couple of months . .

Forgetting about their ridiculous delusional rants about Ireland . .

They lambasted Ronaldo until he got 40+ goals and even then said he was a "show pony" . .

They wrote united off in the league the last 3 seasons in a row that we won.

Said we couldnt win the CL (and got to 2 finals in a row) .

Said we couldnt replace ronaldos goals (and are scoring as many as we did in the last couple of seasons).

Said that Valencia was a waste of money and that Tevez was better value (at a cost of 8mil more) despite the fact that Valencia has scored more goals already that Tevez in the whole of the season!

Said at the start of the game they couldnt comment on Obertan as they had only seen snippets, yet have written off every united youngster after one game ! !

And then, shock and awe, praise the gunners youngsters who consistantly win the meaningless games and go onto do nothing ! ! Flatter to deceive I think thats called . . And they get more of a run out at the emirates where young players are afforded time with less pressure .

It was a shameful performance, but its ridiculously poor commentating . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

".....Berbatov, he's a chancer......" :D

Loosely translates to:
    Dunphy to Berba: "You are black."

Not literally, of course. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

playa3 wrote: »
    Welbeck didn't play enough games to win a premier league medal.(according to wiki anyway)

Just a light hearted story mate, no need to get all pedantic. I severely doubt there was a chicken that crossed the road either but thats another story.:pac:

Dunphy is halarious. He manages to p1ss off every group of fans.

There for ratings only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Dunphy is halarious. He manages to p1ss off every group of fans.

There for ratings only.

What with the game being a nothing match and all and there being very little of value to discuss, you could see him turning up the trolling a notch just to keep the viewers.

How anyone actually still gets wound up by him still after all these years blows my mind.:pac:

Drumpot wrote: »
    In all fairness the panel have lost my respect in the last couple of months . .

Forgetting about their ridiculous delusional rants about Ireland . .

They lambasted Ronaldo until he got 40+ goals and even then said he was a "show pony" . .

They wrote united off in the league the last 3 seasons in a row that we won.

Said we couldnt win the CL (and got to 2 finals in a row) .

Said we couldnt replace ronaldos goals (and are scoring as many as we did in the last couple of seasons).

Said that Valencia was a waste of money and that Tevez was better value (at a cost of 8mil more) despite the fact that Valencia has scored more goals already that Tevez in the whole of the season!

Said at the start of the game they couldnt comment on Obertan as they had only seen snippets, yet have written off every united youngster after one game ! !

And then, shock and awe, praise the gunners youngsters who consistantly win the meaningless games and go onto do nothing ! ! Flatter to deceive I think thats called . . And they get more of a run out at the emirates where young players are afforded time with less pressure .

It was a shameful performance, but its ridiculously poor commentating . .

Well thats lies. I rember them writing them of around 05 or 06 for sure but certainley not the last 2 or 3 seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Nice little slot about Best at the end there by Giles and Dunphy. Not a bad show. And Eamon really cheered me up by saying United would not win a major trophy in next five years.
    All we need now is for Putin to give Roman a post in his next cabinet and that will be two less teams to worry about for the pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Its hard to realy get riled up about the pundits at RTE these days in all fairness.They are a great ratings winner but clueless,whelan hates rafa,admits he doesnt watch games at anfield and has his sums all wrong.Dunphy just annoys everyone and sometimes gets mixed up with players(The recent diarra thing was hilarious)and Giles thinks tactics are a waste of time and that there is no such thing as a dm.

But dont forget as Bill keeps reminding us,unlike sky and the beeb they tell it like it is.Great panel for patting themselves on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Dunphy is an awful eejit and doesn't know what he's talking about. Ergo, the champions league is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Best football panel on TV by a country mile

Nice little slot about Best at the end there by Giles and Dunphy. Not a bad show. And Eamon really cheered me up by saying United would not win a major trophy in next five years.
    All we need now is for Putin to give Roman a post in his next cabinet and that will be two less teams to worry about for the pool

Did he say how many years liverpool would go without a trophy last night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

orourkeda wrote: »
    Did he say how many years liverpool would go without a trophy last night

until 2012, when the world will end...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

until 2012, when the world will end...:rolleyes:

The world will end exactly on the last day of the season of 2012 when Liverpool win the league just as Gerrard is about to put his hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

i remember dunphy saying on his 3 weekly show 2/3 years ago that the gunners would dominate english and european footballl for next decade..since that comment they have won....zero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

CCCP^ wrote: »
    The world will end exactly on the last day of the season of 2012 when Liverpool win the league just as Gerrard is about to put his hands on it.

i don't know which would upset me more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

iv switched back for the liverpool Rant.. Wellbeck is highly rated worldwide.. and gibson has everyone talking in england..

I know Dunphy can spout alot of nonsense at times...but the above quote is a bit ott. Lol Wellbeck highly rated worldwide?? Id say you ask anyone outside the Uk and Ireland and the majority wont know a thing about him. Hes not even rated highly in England yet. Great potential but has been very hit or miss.

And what has Gibson people talking about exactly? That goal against Hull last year? Because thats about it at the minute. He has ALOT to do.

Its Ronnie Whealan that really spouts the ****. Even John Aldrige was giving out about him and the random figures he constantly throws out about Rafas spending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

just now on the bulid up to the champions league game..
    he really doesnt know what he is talking about
    " Vidic- Wants a move away" a rummour that was put to bed by the player
    "Gibson - nobody knows what he is and shouldnt be in the Irish squad ahaed of Andy Reid"
    "Wellbeck is unknown" wtf?
    And united will have to spend more than the recieved from the ronaldo transfer because the kids are not up to it..Eh Eamon They only won the league cup against seasoned players last year

While I am no fan of Dunphy , what are you on about??

Didnt Ronaldo put the rumors to bed then fcuk off?

Andy Reid should definitely be in the Irish squad ahead of Darren Gibson.

And yes on the European stage, which this was, Wellbeck is unknown.

Are you merely trying to out-dunphy Eamonn??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Andy Reid should definitely be in the Irish squad ahead of Darren Gibson.

He didn't say that though, he said Gibson is keeping Reid out of the Ireland squad which is a load of bollíx.

Boggles wrote: »
    He didn't say that though, he said Gibson is keeping Reid out of the Ireland squad which is a load of bollíx.

Sorry didnt see the analysis but the OP had it as a quote the way he wrote it, and I took he's word for it.

• Advertisement

Sorry didnt see the analysis but the OP had it as a quote the way he wrote it, and I took he's word for it.

Well what he said about Wellbeck aswell is a load of bollix.

Completely Unknown.

Wellbeck out of all the youth is being touted as the one that has the most potential.

Any football pundit with half a clue would know that, they do get paid well to give their opinion, but their opinions lack any substance of footballing knowledge.

On last nights performance I though he had a decent enough first half, suffered in the second but was moved out to the left wing for the latter stages.

Was any of it mentioned, nah just written off a no hoper.

Still though it is funny.

tdv wrote: »
    Well thats lies. I rember them writing them of around 05 or 06 for sure but certainley not the last 2 or 3 seasons.

You stand corrected sir .

Heres quotes from April 2007 -

"John O'Shea - out of his depth"
    "Rio Ferdinand - the weakest link, a DODGY character"
    "Wes Brown - another dodgy character"
    "Fletcher, Carrick - nothing players that are never going to control a game at this level"
    "Ronaldo - a PUFFBALL!! (He actually said that!) Has never proved himself at the highest level, best player in the world - rubbish"
    "Rooney - having an awful season and not justifying all the hype"

And links to the quotes:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0410/manchesterunited_av.html?2237150,null,228

Doesnt sound like they rated united too much, certainly doesnt sound like a team that they think are capable of winning arguably the strongest league in the world!!

Giles and dunphy dont rate - Carrick, Ferdinand Ronaldo (until they had to last season), Brown and think half the united squad is average or "not united material" . .

Even when united were in the semi finals of the CL 2 seasons ago (when we won it) they were writing us off and calling ronaldo a show pony who didnt score in the big games (and then he scored in the final!).

In Feb 2008 they had written united off at the expense of the amazing Gunners. Like everybody they baught the hype of the emirates youngsters, but then Birmingham happened and Arsenal capitulated.

Same last season when pool were 10 points or something ahead of us. With an aging Scholes and Giggs we didnt stand a chance, coupled with a useless carrick in CM !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

The attention Dunphy gets is mind boggling. On RTE and in The Star he's really controversial but then anywhere else he's completely laid back and much calmer in his views. Can't you all see its an act?

JPA wrote: »
    The attention Dunphy gets is mind boggling. On RTE and in The Star he's really controversial but then anywhere else he's completely laid back and much calmer in his views. Can't you all see its an act?

I say it out of genuine dissapointment to be honest. .

I think its great that RTE panelists are given the freedom to express whatever the hell they want. You need only look at Souness on RTE (superb analysis) and then on Sky (boring, bland hype).

But these guys were actually praised in England for saying what they see up until recently. Its just they are going off the rails a bit. Comments on ireland were simply ridiculous and amateurish (in comparison to Souness who was superb). Remember, Giles is not looking to get headlines, he says it how he sees it and its dissapointing that hes buying into the Dunphy waffle as he is the granddad of Irish football.

There was a time that I thought their rants were funny and entertaining. Now they are simply a bit tiresome, repetitive and a bit boring.

Wellbeck is highly rated worldwide.. and gibson has everyone talking in england..

Pure comic gold here, even Dunphy would have trouble keeping a straight face coming out with that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Wellbeck is highly rated by Ferguson, but to be honest I haven't seen much yet to suggest that he's anything out of the ordinary. Time will tell but Ferguson's prediction that he would make the England squad for the World Cup look pretty fanciful at this stage. And Gibson is unlikley to make it as a United player, to suggest he has 'everyone talking' is just nonsense.
    You stand corrected sir .

Heres quotes from April 2007 -
    "John O'Shea - out of his depth"

To be fair O'Shea was playing crap at the time, much improved now though.
    "Rio Ferdinand - the weakest link, a DODGY character"

He's wrong about that one fair enough.
    "Wes Brown - another dodgy character"

Wrong again Eamo.
    "Fletcher, Carrick - nothing players that are never going to control a game at this level"

Again, being fair, nobody could have predicted a few years ago that Fletcher would develop into such a good player. And Carrick, while a decent player, is nothing special.
    "Ronaldo - a PUFFBALL!! (He actually said that!) Has never proved himself at the highest level, best player in the world - rubbish"

Some of what Dunphy said about Ronaldo was actually true, some of it still true. He just took it too far, and I'm sure he knows that now.
    "Rooney - having an awful season and not justifying all the hype"

There was a time when Rooney most certainly wasn't justifying the hype. Playing great stuff now alright.

The point I am trying to make Aidan is that these people are supposed to be qualified pundits and they got most things wrong about united . . .

They buy the hype surrounding Arsenal every season (with everybody else) and lambast united even when they win things . .

I dont actually rate Carrick or Ferdinand that highly (or as low as they think) but the fact is that they have been integral parts of uniteds last 3 leagues and champions league final appearances. How anybody can call them crap is crazy!

Teams need the Browns, the O'Shea's, Parks and Fletchers (up until last season where he was considered average) to win leagues and multiple cups. Thats obvious and thats why united have won so much in comparison to other teams that were considered to of had better starting teams.

I think that Souness has really shown them up for the poorly educated pundits they are when you start discussing real elements of football and what makes footballers tick and managers choose some over others . .

Eamo was always a clueless hype clown, but Giles has dissapointed me . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

get over it!

I do hate the way he harps on about Arsenal being the be all & end all of eurpean football espically since they havent won anything since 2005 now isnt it?

And also the talk he dose about there youth system being the best in the world when clearly Barcelonas is miles ahead of everybody elses in Europe which is where Fabregas Arsenals best player came from. What player from Arsenals youth team has ever gone on to do anything of note?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

You all do know that Dunphy was at the grassy mould when Kennedy was shot??!!!

You will not believe what he has to say about that!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Heard that he said that it was a lucky shot by Oswald but at least he got in a good position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Heard that he said that it was a lucky shot by Oswald but at least he got in a good position.

He said Kennedy was finished, Oswald was a one hit wonder and Johnston would last a couple of years before he was found out!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

monkey9 wrote: »
    He said Kennedy was finished, Oswald was a one hit wonder and Johnston would last a couple of years before he was found out!!!!

right on the money as usual our eamon

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Wellbeck is highly rated worldwide.. and gibson has everyone talking in england..

Haha

Wellbeck is Darren Mansaram in a united jersey, maybe in a few years he'll be alright, but he's out of his depth at the minute.

Everyone is just asking what the hell is so special about Gibson that has Fergie coming out singing his praises. He's a mid-table level player warming the bench at old trafford.

simonw wrote: »
    Haha

Wellbeck is Darren Mansaram in a united jersey, maybe in a few years he'll be alright, but he's out of his depth at the minute.

Wellbeck is talented and turned 19 yesterday. I have seen every second of his senior career and I have to say he has bags of potential.
    Everyone is just asking what the hell is so special about Gibson that has Fergie coming out singing his praises.

What exactly did Ferguson say about Gibson that was so out of order?

He is a 22 year old Irish central midfielder who went out of his way to declare for the Republic and wants to play for the national team. I celebrate that fact as an Irish fan, not begrudge it.

IMO he has the talent, not quite the application yet, but he needs senior game time for that which he simply doesn't have, he is young and has just signed a new contract at one of the biggest and best clubs on the planet which can only help his development.

Remember Fletcher at 22?

As for Wellbeck what 19 year old striker is tearing up the league at the moment?

Put the hatred of United aside and judge the young players fairly and don't just judge them on one match or base your opinion on Dunphy, it's moronic in the extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Haha

Everyone is just asking what the hell is so special about Gibson that has Fergie coming out singing his praises. He's a mid-table level player warming the bench at old trafford.
    Agreed. He's painfully average. One of the few things i agree with Dunphy on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Wellbeck is talented and turned 19 yesterday. I have seen every second of his senior career and I have to say he has bags of potential.

I agree he has potential. on the down side he is extremly one footed which is bad, I would be more confident of him coming through if he could use both feet. Fergie appears to rate him very highly, he's not often wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I think that Souness has really shown them up for the poorly educated pundits they are when you start discussing real elements of football and what makes footballers tick and managers choose some over others . .

Eamo was always a clueless hype clown, but Giles has dissapointed me . .

Dunphy wasn't always a clueless hype clown, not completely anyway, there was a time when he got it right as often as wrong. These days he's become a parody of himself, and he's just there for the entertainment value now. But I'd still rather listen to a good old Eamo rant than the boring drivel we get on Sky. Giles is just clueless full stop, he's completely out of touch with the modern game and just repeats the same things he's been saying for the past 20 years.

The Muppet wrote: »
    I agree he has potential. on the down side he is extremly one footed which is bad, I would be more confident of him coming through if he could use both feet. Fergie appears to rate him very highly, he's not often wrong.

Eric Djemba-Djemba was going to be the next Roy Keane at one stage according to Sir Alex, so he doesn't always get it right! (Bellion, Kleberson, Taibi etc). But maybe it's too soon to be judging Wellbeck anyway, give him more time.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Dunphy wasn't always a clueless hype clown, not completely anyway, there was a time when he got it right as often as wrong. These days he's become a parody of himself, and he's just there for the entertainment value now. But I'd still rather listen to a good old Eamo rant than the boring drivel we get on Sky. Giles is just clueless full stop, he's completely out of touch with the modern game and just repeats the same things he's been saying for the past 20 years.

Agreed . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

What exactly did Ferguson say about Gibson that was so out of order?

He is a 22 year old Irish central midfielder who went out of his way to declare for the Republic and wants to play for the national team. I celebrate that fact as an Irish fan, not begrudge it.

I never said it was out of order, and I don't know how what I said has anything to do with Gibson playing for Ireland? I'd take him in the squad over Miller any day, for instance.
    Ferguson has been coming out saying how wonderful he thinks Gibson is, when he rarely plays him, the lady doth protest too much methinks. Reminds me of Allardyce screaming blue murder about trapp talking about Steven Reid's injuries, and then promptly moving Reid on to QPR.
    IMO he has the talent, not quite the application yet, but he needs senior game time for that which he simply doesn't have, he is young and has just signed a new contract at one of the biggest and best clubs on the planet which can only help his development.

Remember Fletcher at 22?
    Look, I don't have it in for Gibson. I'm just saying I don't think he's a top midfielder. Potential is all well and good, but I haven't seen much outside his ability to shoot from distance that marks him out as one to watch for me. The quote I was responding to made it out like he was the second coming of Ronaldo or something. Do united fans get excited when they see he's starting a match? I expect they don't, so who are these mysterious people in England doing all the talking about him?

Incidently, I think first team football would help his development more.
    As for Wellbeck what 19 year old striker is tearing up the league at the moment?
    Not necessarily tearing up the league at the moment (through injuries i think), but Theo Walcott and Carlos Vela are only one year older than him, as is Pato from AC Milan. Mario Balotelli from Inter is 19 actually. Think that fiorentina striker is around about that age too. Not to say I expect he should be as good as them at this age, but something to think about before putting Wellbeck on a pedestal. I'm sure you wouldn't be so sensitive if it was David N'gog who I called out of his depth.
    Put the hatred of United aside and judge the young players fairly and don't just judge them on one match or base your opinion on Dunphy, it's moronic in the extreme.

This isn't an anti-united rant, I was just responding to a ridiculously biased statement. And my opinions are neither based on one match, or eamonn dunphy. Seems to have hit a nerve though?

• Advertisement
Advertisement