Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if a child in my childs class has swine flu...

Options
  • 25-11-2009 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

ok so a child in my daughters class has swine flu. my daughter has asthma. she is not fully protected by the vaccine yet as she has only had her first dose. im going to keep her out for the time being and see how it goes. im not sure yet about whether or not ill send the rest of my children as they can obviously carry it home.

am i over reacting?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Nope, do whatever you think is best.
    My bro (in his late 30s) had it and it is a ROTTEN dose. I am mam of an 11 week old, I can't get the vaccine myself as I'm over the 6 week after giving birth mark, and neither can my little one as she's under the 6 mth mark. I'd be top of the queue otherwise! I'm totally gelling it up and washing the hands all the time. I'd rather be paranoid and not get it than get it, give it to her, and then have massive regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Just wondering how long it's been since she had the vaccine as they are immune after 14 days and there's usually no need for a second vaccine, I got it and was told to come back at 21 days for the second dose but was then told that one was sufficient.. might be worth while phoning the doc to make sure.. also not many people are being tested to make sure it is swine flu.. they're just being treated for it regardless.. and your daughter would have been in contact with her while she was brewing it and i'd assume the sick child is not attending school at the moment then the risk is not there. i'd send her with her hand disinfectant and the usual million tissues to sneeze and cough into. Most schools are very good at making sure the kids know how to sneeze and cough into their sleeves or tissues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭maryjane007

according to the doctor she is not immune at the moment, until after the second jab. i dont know if the adults is different to childrens prehaps?

the child that has, it was discovered over the weekend. i think it has been a sufficient time for others to start showing signs if they do have it ( although im far from an expert) so thats why i thought maybe i would wait until after the weekend and see whats happening by monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

If she is in danger I would have no qualms about keeping her out, just contact the school and let them know. Before the midterm at one stage there were 11 out of my little girls class. I didnt worry about her as her immune system is strong, she rarely gets sick, even a sniffle so I wasnt worried but if she had asthma I wouldnt have sent her in. We were lucky enough that it started int he school about 2 wks before the mid term so by the time it was really spreading the midterm came and there was plenty of time for those who had caught it to recover. Since theres only been 2 out of her class on any one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Do whatever you feel is best and safest for your child. A week or two out of school just now isn't going to do any long term harm. You can also bring her books home and ask the teacher what pages she should be doing and do some work from home so she won't feel lost when she gets back.

My daughter has it at the minute (I think) and I hate the thought of her passing it on to anyone more vulnerable. By the way the incubation period is pretty long I think. In my daughters class they haven't been getting it one straight after the other like with other viruses but with maybe a week in between. She's on day 6 now and none of the rest of us have any signs yet but I won't count my chickens until a week after her high temp is gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement