Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Binoculars

Options
  • 25-11-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I don't know very much about amateur observing but I figure I'm better off starting bwith a decent pair of binoculars than a (cheap) telescope. Was just wondering what sort of specs i should look for when buying binoculars for amateur observing? Also what sort of price do you think a decent entry level pair should be?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

lidl / aldi usually do a pair of mede or bresser 8x50 binoucs for about €20-25

if you want something signifigantly better plan on spending well over €100

don't get the zoom ones though

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭astroguy

Thanks, I've heard about the ones in ALDI/LIDL. So would 8x50 be decent for what I'm looking for, ignoring the quality of the particular set?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

8x50s or 10x50s would be grand. Any bigger and you may need to get a mount to avoid the shake of your hands.

Another thing to consider is to getting a good guide to the night sky, the constellations and the deep sky objects that you can find.
    I have Patrick Moores book on binocular astronomy and it is still one of the best investments I have ever made.

It also helps if you have a dark sky:D

Good luck with your travels :)

Regards

Dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭astroguy

Thanks very much, I thought I'd be better with a magnification not higher than 10 but wasn't sure so that's why I asked here! Yeah I've been doing some research on star guides too. As for the sky, when I'm at home I don't have a lot to worry about that as I live in a small town almost in the very north of Donegal!
    Thanks again :D

Advertisement