Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unauthorized a/c access

Options
  • 25-11-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I am getting repeated unauthorized logins to my account from someone in the Ukraine. They are using the ip address 78.26.187.115. I have tried emailing the abuse address for their ISP but I get undelivered messages back. When I search Google with the ip address, I get back a lot of forum comment SPAM results.

I have emailed the admins here on boards to get them to disable my account, but that was a few days ago and the account is still active. Can someone please help? I really don't want someone posting inappropriate content or worse on my account.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

How do you know someone is trying to log in to your boards account?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

I get an email from boards.ie admin saying:
    Someone has tried to log into your account on boards.ie with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 78.26.187.115

I've gotten 3 so far, never happened before on any forum for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Oh these would be standard vBulletin emails issued to you when 5 wrong attempts are made to access your account.

Firstly I'd advise you change your password just incase.
    Secondly it could be some form of bruteforce attack to log in by either a bot, or could be someone you know trying to get your account. We dont have that info to hand.

If you wish to have your account disabled, you will need to use the contact us form.
    http://boards.ie/contact/?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

I changed my password immeadiately. I already make contact that way, a few days ago. I haven't heard back but as I can still log in i figure nothing was done. I don't wish to have my account disabled but I don't know what else I can do.

If it was a bot, changing my username would probably stop it from finding me but I don't know if that's possible. When I was searching that IP I found a list of search terms associated with that IP and they were all "freeman" aka my username. That's a lesson to use a non-standard username :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Looks like a bot that thinks you're one of it's spam accounts (and that's why it's been trying to log in as you). It seems to have registered itself "Freeman" at various other places and for some reason thinks it registered here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement