Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upstairs Radiators Cold

Options
  • 25-11-2009 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Hoping for help on this.

My radiators downstairs are hot and my radiators upstairs are cold. I have a gas heating system in a new house with a standard water tank in the roof space.

The tank is full and there is pressure in the system.

From that point on I am lost.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

One of two simple things. See if there is a lever or switch in the hotpress or near the boiler. Dont go turning wheels. This will most likely be a switch or lever.

another thing it could be is the rads were completly turned off upstairs. By this i mean both sides of the rad. Check the wheelside is open then take off the wheel and transfere it to the blank side.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

One of two simple things. See if there is a lever or switch in the hotpress or near the boiler. Dont go turning wheels. This will most likely be a switch or lever.

another thing it could be is the rads were completly turned off upstairs. By this i mean both sides of the rad. Check the wheelside is open then take off the wheel and transfere it to the blank side.

There are no switches or levers around the boiler or hotpress. By the boiler there is only the pressure valve and in the hotpress there are only pipes with wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭wee bey

Is it a zoned system. ie can you seperate the upstairs, downstairs and hot water heating zones? If this is the case is it manual(using gate or lever valves) or programmeable(controlled by means of a time clock and motorised valves). If not zoned try turning off all rads that are working and seeing if the heat will circulate to the upstairs rads. Need more info on the system to be able to help buddy:D

I do not think I can separate the zones.

I have a gas control unit in the utility which is on a timer. Its either on/off/timer.

It was working the other day just not today.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

When you bleed the upstairs rads does water drip out?

There could be a check-valve in the feed to the upstairs rads that has got stuck shut too.

• Advertisement

Fergus wrote: »
    When you bleed the upstairs rads does water drip out?

There could be a check-valve in the feed to the upstairs rads that has got stuck shut too.

I just bled them and the water flowed freely. There was no air trapped in those radiators at all.

Forgive my ignorance.

I dont know what a check-valve is or where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

I believe it's a sort of one-way valve on the feed to the upstairs rads that is supposed to close when the pump is not on to avoid unwanted circulation from the rest of the system caused by convection. But if it was stuck closed such that pump pressure wasn't opening it, the upstairs rads would never heat up. As to if you actually have one and where it is located.. hmm..

Turns out it was a one way valve type thing.

The house is 2 years old ish and the foreman/developer is still around. Plumber was working on another house and came over. Defo that being the problem. He set it so its opened up now until such time the electrician buys a replacement unit and changes it.

Plumber said something about the wiring so the developer said he would get the sparks to do it. :confused:

Fixed something else while he was in and said he would get the carpenter in to re-hang a door that I made a hash of. (didn't tell him that :p)

Thanks guys!

Advertisement