Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ingredients you save on or splurge

Options
  • 25-11-2009 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Everyone is feeling the pinch and trying to make savings were they can. Im certainly taking more time to shop around for our food, but there are some things that I wont scrimp one..just wondering what you all splurge on save when it comes to ingredients. heres mine

Splurge

tomatoes - very hard to get a flavour from cheap ones, even if cherry or on the vine
    peppers - as above
    meat -not talking organic here, but I wont choose the cheapest economy brand when it comes to chicken and beef

Save

all other fruit and veg
    smoked salmon/parma ham/cheeses from aldi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Good thread!

Splurge
    Meat - trying to cut down on meat intake but when I do opt to buy, I can justify the extra expense
    Stock cube - hate the way soups, stews, etc, end up tasting pretty much the same as the stock cube, so I try to have an array on hand to give dishes a slightly different feel

Save
    Spices - buy them in slightly bigger portions in Middle Eastern of Asian shops in town rather than in supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

what stock do you use then? I use bouillon, is there better :) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Let's see what's in the cupboard... Okay, there's Tesco Veg stock cubes, Just Bouillon Chicken stock cubes, Knorr's Organic Chicken Stock Cubes, Kallo Organic Vegetable stock cubes, Just Bouillon Beef Stock Cubes, Oxo Chicken stock cubes (plus a second packet of Kallo veg stock cube). I used to love the Marigold low-salt Veg Bouillon - but then everything started to taste of Marigold low-salt veg bouillon. Anyway, as you can see, it's not so much splurge as something I throw in the trolley whenever I panic about whether I'm about to run out of stock. Have to say, though, I still like having variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Splurge
    Salt. I use himalayan for most stuff, and fleur de sel for almost everything else. I also have a chunk of different "salt with bits in", and am still looking out for somewhere nearby which stocks Kalahari rock salt.

Also...not an ingredient...but we have seriously splurged on our cookware and knives.

Save
    We buy some spices in bulk (i.e. 500g bags from the local asian store), rather than going for something fancy.

Other than that...the big saver for us is felxibility. We often go shopping, see whats on special in the meat section (cause meat here in Swissland is shockingly expsensive) that takes our fancy, and then work dinner around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Salt!!! Thats interesting :) I use rock salt, but after that Im completely ignorant to the different types...

• Advertisement
Advertisement