Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road tax goods vechile (parking)

• 25-11-2009 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭

Hi after getting a van tax as a good's vechile.I have been told these have less parking restriction's is that true where is ok to park.My mother in law live on a city street where resident parking permit';s are required her husband tell's me it ok to park a commerical tax van there.Not that i'll be letting it there all day or anything just if i call there.Could it be clamped towed same as a car.Sorry if a stupid question :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

AFAIK it only allows you to park in street loading / unloading areas for a certain length of time, probably an hour. Wouldn't imagine you'll get much better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

same laws apply parking a van as they do a car,permit or disc,exception to loading bays,usually allowed 1/2 hour or risk getting a ticket for exceeding time like i've got on my van mostly in cork city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

30 minutes but you must be actively loading or unloading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah, you're allowed 30 minutes in a loading bay and must be actively loading and as far as I know, some time is also allowed for paper work. Pay and Display area can also be used for loading for 30 minutes without a disc. I'm not sure if this is nationwide or just depends on the council but I know in DLRCC it's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

When you say actively loading or unloading, what exactly does this mean, as I have often parked a commercial in a loading bay to deliver something into a building, but while im in there I dont leave the van with the doors open etc, it will be locked up for the 2 or 3 mins I am gone. I assume this would count as actively unloading/loading as I am not leaving the van parked there for a half hour while off shopping? Just wondering if anyone knows?

• Advertisement

Well I mean they can't expect you to get your goods without going in to get them. I think vans are only ever given tickets or clamped if the wardens have been around the block and come back to your van 40 minutes later and it's still there with nobody around. They'd have far too many people contesting it if they were in getting the goods for 10 minutes.

Lucifer wrote: »
    I assume this would count as actively unloading/loading as I am not leaving the van parked there for a half hour while off shopping? Just wondering if anyone knows?
    Yes, that would be OK. Basically, it's to prevent lads from parking in a loading bay and heading off to have a breakfast etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...not a silly question, but know this.

If we're talking outside of marked loading bays, and resident's permit's are required.............you won't get one for a Commercially taxed vehicle.

No, I don't get it either, but I'm aware of someone this is causing huge problems for, living as they do in a resident-permit area, and the Comm being his transport (double cab Toyota). It's going legal afaik over the issue.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

cormie wrote: »
    Well I mean they can't expect you to get your goods without going in to get them
    Cormie - you are obsessed with loading. Most commercial vehials are UNLOADING in loading bays. ;)

cormie wrote:
    I think vans are only ever given tickets or clamped if the wardens have been around the block and come back to your van 40 minutes later and it's still there with nobody around. They'd have far too many people contesting it if they were in getting the goods for 10 minutes.
    The Dublin fruit and veg market can be a real pain in the arse if a Garda jobsworth is around. Anyone who is familiar with it will know that, at 5am, the only other drivers around are other van/truck drivers queing to be loaded. Yet, occasionally, a Garda will force us to keep moving even though there are no ordinary motorists being hampered. So instead of a group of vehicles queueing patiently to be loaded, we have a group of vehicles continuously driving around the block in a queue! :rolleyes:

Wont get one what galwaytt? A residents permit for a commercially taxed vehicle? You definitely can in DLRCC :)

However, Dave1982 probably won't be able to get one for the Mother in law's place as it's not his place of residence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

galwaytt wrote: »
    If we're talking outside of marked loading bays, and resident's permit's are required.............you won't get one for a Commercially taxed vehicle.
    That will depend on the council where he is. Certainly in the Dublin City area, vehicles up to 3t can get resident's permits.

galwaytt wrote: »
    living as they do in a resident-permit area, and the Comm being his transport (double cab Toyota)
    The local authority is probably erring on the side of caution. It's not a popular thing to say, especially in these recessionary times, but a commercially taxed vehicle is supposed to be used solely for work use. Many van drivers use their vehicles for social, domestic and pleasure use but do not declare this when applying for commercial tax. Perhaps the local authority is attempting to clamp down on this?

Cormie - you are obsessed with loading. Most commercial vehials are UNLOADING in loading bays. ;)

The Dublin fruit and veg market can be a real pain in the arse if a Garda jobsworth is around. Anyone who is familiar with it will know that, at 5am, the only other drivers around are other van/truck drivers queing to be loaded. Yet, occasionally, a Garda will force us to keep moving even though there are no ordinary motorists being hampered. So instead of a group of vehicles queueing patiently to be loaded, we have a group of vehicles continuously driving around the block in a queue! :rolleyes:

Ah yeah, sure I spend 29 minutes in loading bays a lot of the time if I'm doing a move. I could also have to unload of course, but I guess loading can be used as a term for both as the name of the bay goes :)

On what I said earlier about the pay and display being ok for loading, I actually got clamped before loading while parked in a pay and display. I must check that out actually. I already appealed it and got refused, but I definitely heard somebody in DLRCC saying pay and display can be used for loading too. I've never seen this outlined anywhere in writing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cormie wrote: »
    I definitely heard somebody in DLRCC saying pay and display can be used for loading too.
    It can, but you have to pay the pay & display prices.

Oh no, I heard you don't have to pay if you're using it for loading ;) Just tried to ring them there but they are closed. Will try find out anyway because if that's written in law anywhere then I'm going to re-appeal the clamping and get my 80 euro back :D

Advertisement