Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patches

Options
  • 25-11-2009 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

I'm trying to quit again, probably the fourth or fifth time now. In the past I’ve gone cold turkey and lasted between a week and five months (where is the face palm smiley, five fcukin months!!).
    Anyways after about two days this time I got on the patches because I really didn't see it lasting otherwise. I'm off them a week and the cravings are still strong, as is the habit, but I'm determined to make it work.
    My question to anybody who successfully quit using 'brand name' patches is a) shouldn't I be free of the cravings as I'm still getting the nicotine? (I'm on the 25mg patches)
    and b) is the timeline recommended by the manufactures i.e. 8wks on 25mg => 2wks on 15mg => 2wks on lower again, necessary, or is a blatant marketing ploy?

For those of you about to quit, i salute you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 guinnessfan

Hey OP,

I've tried everything from hypnosis and acupuncture to inhalers, gum, champix, microtabs and failed everytime. My most succesful attempt has been using the patches - six weeks

I am currently on day two off the cigs again and using the patches. There is no easy method but I find the patches the best of them. Personally, I find they prevent the cold sweats and dizziness that I experience during withdrawl so they help a lot!

I really don't know whether or not you should stick out the recommended time but for me, I have been overly confident around week six and removed them only to fail a few days later!

I never completed the course before, so this time, I am going to stick with it

Good Luck with it OP!icon7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

I'm off the cigs since Sept 11th, I did it using the patches. I didn't have very many cravings using them and I was only on the 10mg for about 6 weeks. Once the first six weeks were over I didn't bother with them any more, at first I just wanted to see if I could survive without them and if I couldn't I would have started using them again, but thankfully I coped fine with out them and now I'm off both the cigs and the patches.

I think the lenght of time you use the patches depends on how many you smoked a day, the more you smoke the longer you should stay on the patches, but also you will know yourself. When you stop thinking about having a cig, espically when you're stressed or out having a drink then try go without the patches and see how you go.

Best of luck

Advertisement