Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAn charged extra €20 for drinking his own wine in his own hotel room...

Options
  • 25-11-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

For shame, I was listening to Joe Duffy earlier today (Wasn't my fault, was on in the place I was eating)

Fella on the radio, had stayed in the Regency Hotel in Dublin (Is that the one in Drumcondra?) with his wife and 2 young kids. They couldn't go to the bar because that would be illegal, so he brought 2 of his own bottles and drank them in the room (He left the empties behind him)

Few days later (he paid leaving with his credit card) he was charged an extra 20euro (seperate bill). He emailed, got a reply 13 days later saying that it was because he consumed his own alcohol in the room.

What a fcuking disgrace (imho) - What they've made in that 20euro I reckon they'll lose in future business. Let this be a lesson, take your empties with you! I often bring a cheeky bottle of vodka when staying in a hotel for a drink before/after I go out... bit shocked tbh

The questions:
    Has this ever happened anyone here?
    Anyone ever hear of it happening before?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

He should have left the empty wine bottles outside next doors room .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Do they routinely send bills for empty coke/fanta bottles found lying around as well? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Latchy wrote: »
    That's what Joe said! :p
    Do they routinely send bills for empty coke/fanta bottles found lying around as well? :rolleyes:
    It's obviously just a way to try and crawl some money back from less business lately

Here's another question:
    Is it not illegal to charge (from saved credit card details) someones card without the owner authorising it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Rip off ireland is well and truely alive. I think im coming to the conclusion some people out there are riping people off more now to make up for the fact that less people want to be ripped off. They have to make up the difference....

JohnCleary wrote: »
    That's what Joe said! :p
    Oldest trick in da buke :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Latchy wrote: »

He should've put them through the ****ing window tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I've stayed in jurys with friends a fair few times and we had alot of drink in our hotel room.:D Just threw them in plastic bags when we were leaving and left them in the room, had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Their T&C
    Alcohol purchased off-premises is prohibited within the hotel at all times.
    Feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Magnus wrote: »
    Their T&C
    Feckers

Touché.

Dirty stingy feckers. Oh well, lesson learned... i'll never stay there!

jimi_t wrote: »
    He should've put them through the ****ing window tbh
    As long as the windows were open ......''oi... lookout below''

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

For shame, I was listening to Joe Duffy earlier today (Wasn't my fault, was on in the place I was eating)

Fella on the radio, had stayed in the Regency Hotel in Dublin (Is that the one in Drumcondra?) with his wife and 2 young kids. They couldn't go to the bar because that would be illegal, so he brought 2 of his own bottles and drank them in the room (He left the empties behind him)

Few days later (he paid leaving with his credit card) he was charged an extra 20euro (seperate bill). He emailed, got a reply 13 days later saying that it was because he consumed his own alcohol in the room.

What a fcuking disgrace (imho) - What they've made in that 20euro I reckon they'll lose in future business. Let this be a lesson, take your empties with you! I often bring a cheeky bottle of vodka when staying in a hotel for a drink before/after I go out... bit shocked tbh

The questions:
    Has this ever happened anyone here?
    Anyone ever hear of it happening before?

Thats Illegal.
    He is perfectly entitle to drink whatever he wants inside his hotel room.
    He should make a complaint to the cops and his CC company too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I've left a hotel room with loads of empty bottles, wrappers and half eaten food, I even took one of the bottles down to the foyer(if that's what it's called) and drank it there. I never got charged anything extra.

I would say it's just the hotel being chancers or getting píssed off that everybody does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Is anyone else reading this thread in Joe Duffys voice?

The guy wrote: »
    back after this break ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

He should do a chargeback to them.

That hotel is a kip anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

He should of just said he didn't drink them, that he found them outside the room and wanted to keep them out of the way in case anyone tripped on them. They can't prove he drank them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

outrageous carry on!
    it seems the Regency Hotel is part of The Regency Hotel Group which also includes Regency Hotel Leisure Centre & Spa - Dublin, North Star Hotel & Suites - Dublin City Centre, Royal Hotel & Leisure Centre - Co. Wicklow & Cavendish Hotel - Eastbourne, England. Surely the group has shared policies across all its hotels.. best advised to avoid the lot of them!

The regency hotel is the ugliest building in Dublin too... F*ck you Regency! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Their T&C

Alcohol purchased off-premises is prohibited within the hotel at all times.

Feckers

The T&C's make no mention of a charge.
    http://www.regencyhotels.com/hotels/content.asp~PageID=146&cache=11~25~2009+9:11:49+AM
    So is this €20 considered a fine, or some sort of corkage, of which there was no mention. Why only €20, why not €2,000? if they can legally charge €20 then why not go for €2,000?

What proof have they that he drank it too? If they do get the law involved he could have brought in empty bottles and so not have had alcohol on the premises.

I know where to visit with my empties after xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I think illicting the ire of the listeners of LiveLine is punishment enough for the establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

He should have urinated in the bottles before he vacated the room a la dumb and dumber.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You heard the start of it, I missed that but heard the end

He was there with his children so couldn't head to the bar. They were watching X Factor in the room and the guy had two bottles of wine with the wife.
    The wife tidied up the room next day and put the bottles in the bin.

Anyways, the manager came on to say they have huge issues with concert goers having parties in rooms and then the hotel had to refund people who got disturbed with noise.
    So they starting charging.

But it's no issue for people to have drinks in their room, just as long as it's not a party.
    The caller scored a free weekend back at the hotel

Joe Duffy solves yet another problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

rubadub wrote: »
    T
    So is this €20 considered a fine, or some sort of corkage, of which there was no mention. Why only €20, why not €2,000? if they can legally charge €20 then why not go for €2,000?

Yeah, corkage. €10 per bottle and there were two bottles of wine involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

I often bring a cheeky bottle of vodka when staying in a hotel for a drink before/after I go out... bit shocked

Few years ago i booked a suite in the Westbury to suprise the wife on our first anniversary

So trying to be smart i brought in my own drink ,took all the drink out of the mini bar and replaced it with mine to keep it cold

I didnt know the fcuking mini bar had sensors in it ! cost me a fortune :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Their T&C
    Feckers

Perhaps they've had a lot of problems with people causing trouble after getting sh1tfaced in their rooms on takeaway booze?
    It only takes a few instances of this to ruin it for everyone else.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Haha, a friend of mine's cousin was over from america 2 year ago and was staying in the regency. Load of us went over and got pissed (with our own drink obviosly ;)) Didn't charge us :)

Oh to be 17 again...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

_Kooli_ wrote: »
    Thats Illegal.
    He is perfectly entitle to drink whatever he wants inside his hotel room.
    He should make a complaint to the cops and his CC company too.
    Em no he is not entitled to do what he wants inside his hotel room. The hotel owns the building, of course its legal for them to set any rules they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The guy wrote: »

Have to take a break bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Can you get charged for **** in the shower of your hotel room?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Orla K wrote: »
    I've left a hotel room with loads of empty bottles, wrappers and half eaten food, I even took one of the bottles down to the foyer(if that's what it's called) and drank it there. I never got charged anything extra.

I would say it's just the hotel being chancers or getting píssed off that everybody does it.
    If it was the bit where you check-in and stuff, then yes, that's the foyer. If it was the bit where men come in and piss into a white yoke attached to the wall, then that was the gents'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Well done El Weirdo!

Advertisement