Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King plans The Shining sequel

Options
  • 25-11-2009 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭

Stephen King has revealed that he has started work on a sequel to his book The Shining.

The 1977 novel was adapted for the big screen three years later, directed by Stanley Kubrick and starring Jack Nicholson.

According to Contactmusic, King confirmed that he is writing the follow-up during an appearance in Toronto this week. The story will apparently be set 40 years later and focuses on the lead character Jack Torrance's son Danny.

The update is currently going under the working title of Doctor Sleep.

King also admitted that he is nervous about penning the sequel to one of his best known works, adding: "Maybe if I keep talking about it I won't have to write it."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a188607/stephen-king-confirms-shining-sequel.html

The premise is certainly interesting but I'm a bit cautious. For those of you more learned on the subject than me what kind of form has King been as of late? If he's been poor do you think he's doing a "Hollywood" here i.e. fall back on an originally successful formula rather than pushing on with original material?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

hmm, lets see 'doctor sleep' is probably an apt title as SK has gotten predictable....... this will be about a washed up writer who's had a crippling accident and writes himself into every story he writes from then on..... his real and fictional worlds collide and he goes mad... again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

All I can think is ' The shining 2 ' ........ Even shiner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

this is something id be very interested in, but i really hope it doesnt go the way of MudSkippers assumption.

The Shining was the third or forth SK book i ever read. I read it maybe 3 times in the space of a year, it was a book that just amazed me and terrified me. I loved it.

But I also loved the first 2 Dark Tower books. and that is a series I cant bring myself to read anymore.

So I'm more worried than anything else. I have my hopes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kyri

Just a quickie on those Dark Tower books - Are they good, bad or ?

Always wondered whether to get them or not but his writing is soo hit and miss I put off starting a series i knew little about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

As I said, the first couple were good books in my opinion. its a series of 2 halves, and the first was the half that was good. if it was even as many as half!

• Advertisement

:( Running out of books to read and its soo hard to find some good horrors/trillers etc you really have to sift through the crap nowadays.

/cry

Ah well, Thanks for the quick responce :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

I haven't enjoyed King's latest offerings but I'll hold off with my 2 cents until I finish 'Under the Dome'.

lol was just reading the reviews on it :)

Some say YAY alot seem to be saying nay though :(

Sounds interesting though so might just get it to tide me over :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

I haven't enjoyed King's latest offerings but I'll hold off with my 2 cents until I finish 'Under the Dome'.

same here! im loving under the dome so far and im nearly finished but the only prob i have is it kinda rips off the simpsons movie...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Orangutani

Hahaha, stoopid woodchuck.... enjoyed Under the Dome, though was a little underwhelmed. Twas very like the Tommyknockers. Dark Tower series blew my mind tho, got a bit slow towards the end but I loved the way he depicted the worlds colliding, Roland and Eddie meeting God (or Gan), bloody hilarious. The stand is still my fave tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

that film scares the sh*t out of me! but its still very good. ive only seen it once, but would love to watch it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Honestly, even at his worst Stephen King is still a ridiculously talented author (better than these Stephanie Meyer and J.K. Rowling twits, anyway). He's an absolute master of character creation (Dolores Claiborne, anyone?), suspense, tension. He's creative and pushes boundaries and is unafraid to show us the depravity of human nature.

Everyone has their hits and their misses but Stephen King has an awful lot more hits, imo. I'll wait til this comes out to pass any judgements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I do kinda cringe a bit at the thought of the shining 2. The last modern Stephen King book I've looked at was Lisey's story, given to me by a friend who knew I was a fan of Stephen King (not that Stephen King). Maybe its a good book, I don't know, the start of it bored me so much that I started to read it on a number of occasions and gave up to go back to the older ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Kyri wrote: »
    Just a quickie on those Dark Tower books - Are they good, bad or ?

Always wondered whether to get them or not but his writing is soo hit and miss I put off starting a series i knew little about.

hit and miss, first three books are mostly popular and known for establishing a compelling universe with deep characters. The fourth book everyone seems to dislike, although I think that while its a detour, its an excellent story in and of itself. The remaing three books are somewhat problemmatic, there are a lot of incredibly good ideas in them but King kinda get very self indulgent and messes them up as a result. Book 5 I think is a bit meh, its longwinded and somewhat pointless. What is really amazing about DT is that the world in which its set is a very odd mixture of sci, fantasy and horror, its very mysterious and I found that I'd end up thinking a lot about the deliberately unanswered questions concerning the old ones and the nature of the world the characters inhabit. It is in a sense Kings master narrative, it links up all his other books, like Insomnia for example which is actually complementary to the last DT book.

As for The Shining 2 I wonder if Roland of Gilead will make a spot appearance?

Advertisement