Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Plumbers 2 Different Views 2 Very Different Quotes _ Help Please

Options
  • 25-11-2009 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi Guys

We have been having probs with central Heating in that the hot water does not seem to be pumping far enough round the system ie its very slow. Both plumbers agree that it is a pumping issue. One recommends a light commercial pump outside at the boiler cost installed E300. Second plumber says no need for that expense put a second pump inside the house before the first tee as the run from the garage to house is quite far and the second pump will push the water round the CH in the house and first pump will get it from garage to house cost E45 for pump plus E140 for installation. I dont mind paying for the right thing but dont what might be best anyone any experience of this. Simon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Is it a sealed system ?
    For me the better pump in boilerhouse is preferable as i feel its better to keep it simple and just have one good pump rather than two half good ones. also less problems down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RickyRadar

First of all, I presume you are using oil to heat your system. Has the central heating ever worked effectively? If answer is yes, you maybe suffering to two problems. First old oil boiler house suffer from lack of efficiency, or heat transfer. the inside of the shell maybe caked with layers of oil by product, thus not allowing proper heat transfer to central heating water. Secondly, the system water maybe heavily contaminated as copper, steel on water react causing hydrogen oxide which eats the inside of the rads causing black sludge. This increases the hydraulic resistance and therefore water will not circulate properly around and also cause cold spots. Solution, have boiler shell scraped clean. Then add Fernox descaller to the system water. Make sure its Fernox as most available descalers are no more than cats piss. Have the System power-flushed and add Fernox inhibitor back into the water. The difference is noticable straight away. Unless the pumps are fuct, I would not change them as first option.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 s2sap

I will try and give you the info you are asking but firstly the system was installed new in a house that we bought from a private builder 3 yrs ago – no comeback there. The problem has been like this since inception. There are 3 circuits upstairs ( 6 rads ) d/stairs (20 rads) and water all work independently. System is sealed system

Boiler is Warmflow Bluebird 1215 max output 44KW max BTU 150,000

Pipes are standard 28mm right through from boiler which is 18metres from the first Tee inside the house which is where the 3 zones start

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RickyRadar

THe system is relatively new, therefore it wont suffer that much from contamination and may not require flushing at this stage. With so many radiator, the pump would be under great strain. I would close down an individual zones to check if this makes a difference to the weakest circuit. If you get more heat output then you have a circulation issue. You may try to balance the system before spending any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I generally never go against a plumber so I would be useless. If i came across this situation I would get a third quote. Dont tell the third one how the other 2 are preposing to do it and see if they match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Sort of have the same problem, but if I have all my 3 zones the rads upstairs dont heat up that well. I was told by a mate I could get a six pump to install in my Vokera 25kw gas boiler to pump it better/quicker around the system. But low and behold Vokera don't make one for my boiler, so I would have to put it outside...

Never did it though as its rare I would have all zones on at once...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

id agree with rickyradar by saying i wouldnt just replace the pump straight away,id also say a decent plumber should be able to balance out the system in a couple of hours providing all pipework is sound and sized correctly, have you had anyone try to balance the system? also are the zones separated using motorized valves or with a manifold and separate pump type system?

Advertisement