Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to write my name and address in microsoft word...

• 25-11-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭

Hey sorry if this is in the wrong forum but im having a problem writing a letter using Microsoft Word.

Im trying to type my name and address in the top right hand corner of the page but I cant do it. Well I can but none of it is aligned. Like this,
    Joe Bloggs
    32 Harbour View, Dublin 3
    See the way the 32 is out underneath and past the Joe^, well I want the Joe and the 32 in a line directly underneath each other. How do I do that?

Sorry if that seems like a silly question, its just that I am not the best on the computer. :o.....Sorry!

Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You could align it right, but that would not put the 32 under the Joe.

Do you see the button above Caps Lock with arrows going both ways?
    That is the tab button.
    If you hit it a couple of times you will see that it moves the cursor a set amount across the page.
    You should be able to use it to line up your rows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Use the tab button to align it (above the Caps Lock button), press it and it will be aligned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

Thanks a thousand to both of you's! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Ingenuist

...tab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This is the correct way you format your address in a letter

Joe Bloggs
    32 Harbour View,
    Dublin 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

.... I knew.... one day .... that paperclip would come in handy

clippy_buttons.jpgclippy.jpgclippit.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

Right align + tab ftw.

Alternate: create a template somewhere and save onto disk. Copy and paste at will with right align.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Sorry lads/lassies but that's not the correct way at all!
    • Type your name and address in one line.
    • Manually break the lines with pressing shift+enter.
    • This makes a paragraph of that block of text.
    • Click on the small square on the left side of the ruler on top of page and drag it to the right.
    • Alternatively you can click on Format - Paragraph - Indentation - Left and put in whatever value you need.
    • Or you can double click on the little square which will bring up the above dialogue (Paragraph - Indentation - Left)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Heinrich wrote: »
    Sorry lads/lassies but that's not the correct way at all!

If it works, it's a correct way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

If it works, it's a correct way.

That is nonsense! If it works it's a fluke. The correct way to format is to treat indents as such, tabs idem and the whole range of tools that are designed for specific reasons.

If one really wants to word process then starting out with correct procedure is the way to go. Ever heard of style sheets?

Proper word processing is what it says on the tin. Text should be typed as raw text and then formatted. That is the way the experts do it and also why there is so much badly produced stuff...

Don't spoof on matters on which you display a certain ignorance of!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

If one really wants to word process then starting out with correct procedure is the way to go. Ever heard of style sheets?

Proper word processing is what it says on the tin. Text should be typed as raw text and then formatted. That is the way the experts do it and also why there is so much badly produced stuff...

Don't spoof on matters on which you display a certain ignorance of!

But what if one is in a rush? Must one follow the correct procedure to align ones address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    But what if one is in a rush? Must one follow the correct procedure to align ones address?
    fishing-fishing-fish-water-smiley-emoticon-000714-large.gif

Advertisement