Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a confession to make

Options
  • 25-11-2009 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

I'm done with hating Arsene Wenger.

He's been a great manager at a horrible club. Their football style and the trophies they've won under him over the years still make me so jealous.

Don't get me wrong, Arsenal are cnuts but Wenger isn't, he just doing a professional job. I wish we got him in 1996, and deep down I reckon we'd all agree we that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

the best manager ever to work in england. if he was over barca or madrid or some club with serious money then his team would go down in history for winning absolutely everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

I respect him and I admire what he's done but he's a complete pr1ck. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

yeah, he's done a good job alright! but he doesnt come across as a sound guy, if ya know what i mean....he's no martin jol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

golfball37 wrote: »
    I respect him and I admire what he's done but he's a complete pr1ck. :mad:

I'm afraid this is still how I feel about him. Brilliant manager, and I love the way he's made Arsenal play, and the players they've bought (in general), but I don't like the man at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gerkeo

I dont think Wenger would have done well in Spain with Barca or Real. Those clubs would never have given him the time or space to build what he has at Arsenal.
    With the Big 2 in Spain the presidents pick the teams (more so at real than Barca but still true there), they do the buying and selling not the coaches, perfect example being Vincente Del Bosque at Real, He won the champs league final in Glasgow with real and in the tunnel afterwards he was told he was getting the boot!

Back to Wenger, He is a fine coach with a beautiful philosophy on how football should be played and has a great eye for raw talent, Saying he's the best manager ever to work in england is a stretch though, Busby Shankley, Paisley, Clough, Ferguson, european cup winners all. Saying Wenger tops them all, brave statment.

Footballing legacys are about trophies. He has won them in the past but his current team will only be judged on what they win. They have potential but sometimes thats not enough. I know they are a young team but United annihilated them in the champs league semi last year. Ferguson has build several trophy winning teams, Wenger has yet to pull off that trick.

Wengers major obsticle is he has to hold the team together until they can add experience to that potential. Winning the premier league is best way to do that.
    But the man himself, If he can add the Champions league trophy to his CV then he'll be regarded as one of the greats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭golfball37

He’s a moral coward as far as I’m concerned. He won't splash the cash preferring to get all sorts of praise for bringing through kids and playing beautiful football. He hasn’t won anything in 4 years yet is in no danger because of the lazy way he is assessed. As someone quite rightly pointed out he wouldn’t last p1ssing time at either of the big Spanish clubs doing what he is doing at Arsenal right now.

They have en extra 20,000 people at home games the last few years and Champions league money, they also have a salary cap. They have money to spend make no mistake about it. Wenger would rather get the praise for achieving small things on the cheap rather than going all out and trying for big things, doing the latter puts his head and legacy on the line though -hence he’s a coward imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

to be honest lads, an arsenal side of the last few years in full flow are an absoloute joy to watch if you appreciate football.
    At times there play can be mesmerising, touch, control,pace, imagination, the way football should be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

mushykeogh wrote: »
    to be honest lads, an arsenal side of the last few years in full flow are an absoloute joy to watch if you appreciate football.
    At times there play can be mesmerising, touch, control,pace, imagination, the way football should be played.

on their day they can destroy ANY team. i firmly believe that.

they play the best football the league has seen for years.
    he is a top manager/coach. he really knows how football is meant to be played. as a person im not sold on him i think he is ver protective of s players but if an opposition player did what his players do he looses the rag. most managers do but its a horrible characteristic to have.

pitty about is clubs name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

he's fantastic manager without a doubt and has built some great teams for them. But some of the praise for the current team goes way overboard. Yes they play great football but are they better than the 99 Man U treble winning team or the Spurs 61 double winning team? The answer is no. Until this current team win something they'l always be remembered like the Dutch 74 team. Great to watch but ultimetly underachieving.

Now when are they gonna clear off back to Woolwich? :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

golfball37 wrote: »

They have en extra 20,000 people at home games the last few years and Champions league money, they also have a salary cap. They have money to spend make no mistake about it. Wenger would rather get the praise for achieving small things on the cheap rather than going all out and trying for big things, doing the latter puts his head and legacy on the line though -hence he’s a coward imo

Coward? I dont think so.
    If anything his way of working prevents the creation of a Leeds United pt2.

If supporters of your biggest rivals can admit you play fantastic football, i think you won something very special.
    Money can make you win titles (Chelsea) but will never buy you admiration of other club's supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

yiddo wrote: »
    he's fantastic manager without a doubt and has built some great teams for them. But some of the praise for the current team goes way overboard. Yes they play great football but are they better than the 99 Man U treble winning team or the Spurs 61 double winning team? The answer is no. Until this current team win something they'l always be remembered like the Dutch 74 team. Great to watch but ultimetly underachieving.

Now when are they gonna clear off back to Woolwich? :D

I'd (reluctantly/begrudgingly) adimt that his 03/04 unbeaten team were up there with the best ever to grace the game.

Lots of those players were utter cnuts, but they were an amazing team if I'm totally honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

This thread makes me feel dirty.

Im not full of hatred and viroil to the extent of what the United fans say about him but I can't abide him. Mostly irrational reasons I will admit. Dislike the way he never saw eposodes and the arrogance of some of the players like Fabregas that he doesnt curtail. His sanctimonious press conferences as if he is pontious pilate drive me bannanas.

To be honest I was filled with giddy glee when Mourinho called him the voyeur :D

I'd (reluctantly/begrudgingly) adimt that his 03/04 unbeaten team were up there with the best ever to grace the game.

Lots of those players were utter cnuts, but they were an amazing team if I'm totally honest.

indeed they were and in fairness they could sit alongside the manu treble team and Spurs double team but at least we didn't have to listen to the media fawning over them for their great passing football which we have to endure with current lot.

yiddo wrote: »
    indeed they were and in fairness they could sit alongside the manu treble team and Spurs double team but at least we didn't have to listen to the media fawning over them for their great passing football which we have to endure with current lot.

Thank God for that Pat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have to say that 49 game unbeaten team where a joy at times to watch.

I also have a confession, I don't really mind arsenal compared to a number of other teams. I hate chelsea 3 times more and united 5. I mean if you look at the Chelsea team alone look at the number of complete wanker examples Drogba, A Cole, J Cole, Terry and Anelka.

from today's Sun http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/sunsport_columnists/2748051/Its-the-same-old-story-for-Arsenal.html#ixzz0Y3BlfNPz
    JUST a dozen league games completed and Arsenal already face a match that could well define their season.

Defeat by Chelsea at the Emirates on Sunday and the Gunners will trail the leaders by 11 points.

For the sixth consecutive campaign, that should be it as far as the title is concerned. And we are not even into December.

Their qualification for the Champions League knockout stage - from probably the easiest group of the lot, remember - cannot mask the fact it's the same old Arsenal.

A joy to watch, of course. But still flaky, inconsistent, a huge liability away from home and an unsolved problem in goal.

And Arsene Wenger knows it.

The manager's uncharacteristic descent in midweek into the sort of industrial language he only normally uses in private was a hangover from his side's defeat at Sunderland last weekend.

As Wenger said after Arsenal's first loss in 14 games: "This is a massive setback because we need consistency to win the title.

"Today we were not capable of that. It raises question-marks."

The same old question-marks that have haunted him since Arsenal's last championship triumph in the unbeaten season of 2003-2004.

The same old questions that surround a five-year record of just seven defeats at home but TWENTY-SIX away. Against just 14 for Chelsea and 18 for Manchester United.

It was also interesting to note Wenger's lament: "If we had played Sunderland at home, we would have won."

It was an admission that more or less confirmed the continuing doubts many of us have about this Arsenal team when they have to scrap for a result.

If their supporters thought some sort of corner had been turned, they have been disappointed.

Their away record is exactly the same as it was at this stage last season - P7, W3, D1, L3. While Arsenal have filled their boots at home against generally poor opposition, they have taken just seven points from their last six games on the road.

And they have lost all three against teams in the top half.

Now they await the visit of a Chelsea side who have won seven and drawn one of their last eight matches, rattling in 25 goals and conceding just two.

The old rule of thumb in London was Spurs could never beat Chelsea while Chelsea could never get the better of Arsenal.

That's all changed since Roman Abramovich's arrival with the Gunners winning just one of the last 14 meetings - including a grisly 4-1 loss at the Emirates last time out.

Those of us who backed Carlo Ancelotti's team for the title at the start of the season are looking pretty smug at the moment (even smugger than usual).

Now Chelsea take on an Arsenal side without Robin van Persie, no left-back to speak of and the likelihood of William Gallas having to be patched up for a fixture that, but for its importance, he would have sat out.

Without Van Persie, the Arsenal attack is worryingly lightweight.

With Gallas struggling with a badly bruised eye (complicated by his use of contact lenses), the Arsenal defence looks as vulnerable against Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka as it proved to be against Manchester United in the 3-1 Champions League semi-final rout last season.

But that's the price you pay for failing to purchase a decent keeper and persisting with inadequate cover at centre-back like Mikael Silvestre and Johan Djourou.

Then there's Drogba's speciality in unhinging Arsenal central defenders - though a one-eyed Gallas couldn't be as bad as Philippe Senderos used to be.

Yes, Arsenal have a 100 per cent record at the Emirates and, on their day, can beat anyone.

But not, I suspect, with the team they will be putting out on Sunday. Even a draw will be a result.

ziedth wrote: »
    I have to say that 49 game unbeaten team where a joy at times to watch.

I also have a confession, I don't really mind arsenal compared to a number of other teams. I hate chelsea 3 times more and united 5. I mean if you look at the Chelsea team alone look at the number of complete wanker examples Drogba, A Cole, J Cole, Terry and Anelka.

Words cannot discribe how much I hate Chelsea.
    Disgusting football club, always have been and always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

That's more like it Dublinspur. Looking forward to having them at the lane his year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Words cannot discribe how much I hate Chelsea.
    Disgusting football club, always have been and always will be.

+1, just a small club with money.

I'm a UTD fan by the way, and as for Wenger, i don't like him one bit, there are times when i start thinking what a good manager he is, then he comes out and spouts some crap and it's back to Square 1 again.

Liking Spurs though, pretty entertaining this season and that's what it's all about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

Unfortunately Wenger has single-handedly p1ssed on us the last 14 years which is hard to take. I don't think anyone can deny he's a genius manager, but as a bloke, I absolutely detest him.

I am looking forward to the day when he finally fecks off and things are evened up in N.London. With a new stadium on the way, as much money as them and just as much fan-base - we will be competing again on a level playing field.

Football goes in cycles, as I said Wenger has single-handedly been propping up the Scum. Our time will come.

As for Chelsea, i don't hate them, i've not even got strong feelings about them. They are a small club, small fan-base and a club with no history. They are artificially in the position they are in because of Abromovich. When the Ruskie gets bored and fecks off, Chelsea will slide down the league to obscurity where they belong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement