Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Grohl band whore

Options
  • 25-11-2009 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

okay everyone knows he became famous by being the drummer for nirvana but he has also been in queens of the stone age (drums), foo fighters (vocals, guitar), tenacious d (drums) and them crooked vultures (drums i think), maybe i'm overeacting, what do other people think, is he a band whore?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

So what if he is?

He wouldn't be the only person to be in multiple bands.

I don't think he was actually a member of QOTSA or Tenacious D either, just helping them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

i didn't say it's a bad thing, just asking if he is, also he did play for nine inch nails and the prodigy

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

jenizzle wrote: »
    I don't think he was actually a member of QOTSA or Tenacious D either, just helping them out.
    Aye, was also in the Tenacious D movie :D

He loves his music, fair play to him I say

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

he was a massive for his probot project if that's how you see it! ;)

don't think there's anything wrong with him playing with multiple bands.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I don't see why it matters if he plays in multiple bands. Josh Homme has been in many more than Grohl. I'd imagine that someone as talented as Grohl would get bored just sitting around and gets bored just playing Foo Fighters stuff constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tonyj_mc

Don't forget Probot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

ah maybe i'm old fashioned in thinking that a person should dedicate themselves to one or maybe two bands, thats just my opinion but i can understand that the guy loves his music and in general i like the music he makes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

He's a workaholic, it's that simple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Grohl_discography
    He's been in or worked with 26 bans over the years

http://www.amazon.com/Dave-Grohl-Fighters-Nirvana-Misadventures/dp/0953994244

Is a pretty good book on him, his work ethic and all the bands he's worked with.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Josh has been in about the same/if not more, than you mentioned. Albeit he is a leading member of pretty much all of them.

No, I don't think they are band whores.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I dunno about a 'band' whore but but i did get oral relief from him recently for $20.

He does seem to spred his time around with lots of different bands but imo its all sh!t.

Foo fighters first album was excellent but the more recent offerings are poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I dunno about a 'band' whore but but i did get oral relief from him recently for $20.

He does seem to spred his time around with lots of different bands but imo its all sh!t.

Foo fighters first album was excellent but the more recent offerings are poor.

I haven't heard anything interesting from him since their second album (which I thought was miles above the first)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

Good I'm glad people think he's **** because to me the Foo Fighters were always ****.
    Probot was ok but everything else is nonsense. QOTSA? boring ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

zenmonk wrote: »
    Good I'm glad people think he's **** because to me the Foo Fighters were always ****.
    Probot was ok but everything else is nonsense. QOTSA? boring ****.

tbh i think Growler thought he was doing charity work and bringing auld fellas off in their wheelchairs for some freshair on that probot album.

Songs were all lacking something and were lashed out as a sort of a 'this is me with lemmy' thing for growl.
    I think he used to get on Kurts tits aswell sometimes from listening to their live stuff. He cuts him off when hes rabbling on between songs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

jenizzle wrote: »
    So what if he is?

He wouldn't be the only person to be in multiple bands.

I only remember him in No One Knows for QOTSA, but I was never a fan of them anyway. And he's friends with TD, look how many videos of each others they've appeared in. But he was never an official member, as you said, he was just helping out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

God damn musicians, playing music to earn money. Staying over there and taking our jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Undergod wrote: »
    God damn musicians, playing music to earn money. Staying over there and taking our jobs.

durp a durrrrr!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Most of his stuff is fairly meh.

His drumming on QOTSA's Songs for the Deaf is fantastic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

It's not that surprising for Dave Grohl to play with however many bands were mentioned. Take someone like Tony Levin. He has played/recorded with a lot of musicians. http://www.papabear.com/discography.html

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

he aint a band whore,, alot of musicians have and had a number of projects going at the same time or after one ended. And as for queens of the stoneage, as far as i know, Dave Grohl, only did drums for one album didnt he?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

rgjmce wrote: »
    okay everyone knows he became famous by being the drummer for nirvana but he has also been in queens of the stone age (drums), foo fighters (vocals, guitar), tenacious d (drums) and them crooked vultures (drums i think), maybe i'm overeacting, what do other people think, is he a band whore?

So?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Most of his stuff is fairly meh.

His drumming on QOTSA's Songs for the Deaf is fantastic though.

+ shinty six:D

Always thought he was a great drummer and his foo fighter stuff was pretty uninspiring. the crooked vultures stuff i thought would be better, but still rocks.

by the way op is there something wrong with sowing your musical seed far and wide, surely it's a good thing to hook up with different musicians and learn from/with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

He was the Foo Fighters, a one man project. Why not spread his talents to other bands and instruments?

Straight from the horses mouth:
    Follwing the death of Cobain and disbandment of Nirvana, Dave Grohl received offers to work with various artists including the Melvins, to which Grohl accepted, however this never came to fruition. He also almost accepted a permanent position as the drummer in Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Ultimately Grohl declined and instead entered Robert Lang Studios in October 1994 to record twelve of the forty songs he had written.[2] With the exception of a guitar part on "X-Static" by Greg Dulli of the Afghan Whigs, Grohl played every instrument and sang every vocal on the tracks..[3] "I was supposed to just join another band and be a drummer the rest of my life," Grohl later said. "I thought that I would rather do what no one expected me to do. I enjoy writing music and I enjoy trying to sing, and there's nothing anyone can really do to discourage me." Grohl completed an album's worth of material in five days and handed out cassette copies of the sessions to his friends for feedback.[2]

Here are his associated acts:

Nirvana
    Foo Fighters
    Scream
    Tenacious D
    Killing Joke
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Probot
    Them Crooked Vultures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Put it this way.

You like fast food. You go to all the respective outlets. Are you a Fast Food Chain Whore? No.

You're just a person that likes fast food.

Wonder why I'm equating fast food with music. But now I'm off to eat my CD's. And listen to a Big Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

The man clearly just loves playing- you can question his output but certinaly not his commitment to it. Fairs fair, he could have rested on his millions, and do a Foo Fighters album every few years, but no, the man just keeps on going!

Advertisement